moon777light

Myers-Brigg changing all the time?

18 posts in this topic

5 years ago when i first heard of this test i took it and was an entp. a few months later i retook it and became INTP, then yesterday retook and became a ENFP. overall nothing has changed regarding my environment, except one move that occured 4 years ago. Why do so many people credit that this test can help us regarding personal development when its unreliable?

I think that the only use of this test for personal developement is to get more information about your personality type. But personality types are largely determined by genetics and are not different stages of personal developement. If you are young you mature very quickly and that might be the reason for the change in test results. Or perhaps you have gotten to know yourself a bit better. You might have based your test answers on how other see you or you want them to see you. Btw when I first did the test some years ago I was an INTJ but now I´m INTP. But that´s not so much of I change I guess lol :)

Yep. Personality results change all the time. I've had a different result every time I took the Myers Briggs, and I've done it four times.

The results that it gives you have only a little bit more value than your horoscope. 

After all, when was the last time anyone took a personality test and felt an immediate shift in the quality of their life? Probably never. 

Don't take the myers-briggs test so seriously just do it for fun, by the way look up the origins of the myers-briggs test and research it's validity,

@moon777light If you want a legit measure of personality look into the "Big Five Aspects Scale". You can take free online tests if you want, or take a legit one from here https://understandmyself.com/ by paying $9.95 where you get told your percentile ranking with the overall population and some good descriptions. There are five dimensions of personality measurement: "Openness to experience", "concientiousness", "Extraversion", "Agreeableness"and "Neuroticism" . Each dimensions is made up of two smaller dimensions, e.g. for extraversion you have "enthusiasm" and "assertiveness". 

I took the test and got the results, here's what you can expect your results to look like if you take the test:five traits.png

Jordan Peterson has a series of lectures where he talks about the Big Five Aspects Scale for some of his videos. In this playlist 

look at videos 12 and 14-19 [I personally found 14 hard to understand]. 

If you decide to take an official test, make sure you try to be fair and objective. Answer with responses which reflect how you act, rather than with responses related to how you would like to be. Don't put yourself down either and be harsh.

Also, reliability of mbti depends on your age. If 5 years ago you were 15 or something then its completely feasible that your personality can change since you're young. Whenever I take it, I consistently get INTP, and pretty strongly. Look at the cognitive functions and cognitive axes for each type to determine what you are as well. Read type descriptions, and see if anything resonates with you. When I first read the INTP description I felt shocked at how accurate it was for me. 

You can also briefly read into the theory of mbti.

It is my theory that mbti and the Big Five Aspects Scale have dimensions of measurement which overlap:

I/E corresponds to extraversion

N/S corresponds to openness to experience

F/T corresponds to agreableness

P/J corresponds to concientousness

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 05/04/2018 at 3:03 AM, lmfao said:

You can also briefly read into the theory of mbti.

It is my theory that mbti and the Big Five Aspects Scale have dimensions of measurement which overlap:

I/E corresponds to extraversion

N/S corresponds to openness to experience

F/T corresponds to agreableness

P/J corresponds to concientousness

Yeah I reached a similar conclusion a while a go, I guess neuroticism corresponds to turbulent or assertive, but also to P/J. Would be interesting to know more about conscientiousness. I know the INTP has Introverted thinking at the top of it's function stack. Where as ENTJ has Extorverted Thinking. Perhaps INTP is low conscientiousness and ENTJ is high conscientiousness?  

Hi  moonlight,

MBTI is unreliable to the degree it's a "self-report instrument."

There's quite a bit of discretion in whether to answer questions broadly (general trends over the course of your life) or narrowly (specific events affecting your behaviors at the moment.)

I would recommend answering questions in the first manner.

In my experience, type doesn't change (because change is actually incorporated into the type as well, i.e. developing your tertiary and inferior function.)  You retain your dominant, auxiliary, tertiary and inferior functions.

I would recommend reading the type descriptions on sites such as this and seeing which one resonates most, or if you are not sure, ask someone who's known you for a long time to do so.

To me, all 16 types are highly distinctive.  

ENTP is Ne dominant/Ti auxiliary; INTP is flipped (Ti dominant/Ne auxiliary) and ENFP is Ne dominant/Fi auxiliary.

ENTP and INTP share all the same functions, just in different order; ENFP shares only 2 of the 4 with each of them.

If I had to guess based on statistical likelyhood, I'd go with ENTP, but obviously I'd have to observe you for awhile to have a stronger sense. ;)

One of the immediately noticeable differences between ENTP and ENFP is that ENTP is more likely to be provocative with intellectual arguments without sugarcoating it in humor, while ENFP does.

Edited by Haumea

@RichardY I think INTP's are low in conscientiousness and ENTJ's would be high on conscientiousness, most of the time. The two different dimensions of measurement, P/J and conscientiousness, probably don't overlap 100% so there might be some room for leeway. I myself am in 0th percentile for conscientiousness, apparently. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@John Lula I can relax provided I don't have something stressing me out. I'm 92nd percentile in neuroticism, which doesn't couple well with exceptionally low conscientiousness. 

Edited by lmfao

@lmfao I've been holding off that personality test for so fucking long. I'm gonna do it tomorrow.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

On 4/1/2018 at 8:26 AM, moon777light said:

5 years ago when i first heard of this test i took it and was an entp. a few months later i retook it and became INTP, then yesterday retook and became a ENFP. overall nothing has changed regarding my environment, except one move that occured 4 years ago. Why do so many people credit that this test can help us regarding personal development when its unreliable?

The shortcomings of psychology like these are that they expect or declare the mind to be static or focused on one type of behavior. This isn’t always true - so for people like you and I, we must recognize the guidance of it as descriptions of types of behavior. Something that we sometimes are and sometimes aren’t . 

26 minutes ago, alyra said:

The shortcomings of psychology like these are that they expect or declare the mind to be static or focused on one type of behavior. This isn’t always true - so for people like you and I, we must recognize the guidance of it as descriptions of types of behavior. Something that we sometimes are and sometimes aren’t . 

What model of psychology would you propose?

Just now, RichardY said:

What model of psychology would you propose?

Psychology isn’t wrong. That’s the nature of knowing. What isn’t know isn’t understood, a blind spot. But when it is found, what was known remains true. 

2 minutes ago, alyra said:

Psychology isn’t wrong. That’s the nature of knowing. What isn’t know isn’t understood, a blind spot. But when it is found, what was known remains true. 

Yeah ok, something like justifying a principle destroys the principle. I think something similar is referred to in Transcendental Idealism and in the Tao Te Ching. 

"The shortcomings of psychology like these........." Was thinking if you had alternative ideas, something dynamic.

4 hours ago, RichardY said:

Yeah ok, something like justifying a principle destroys the principle. I think something similar is referred to in Transcendental Idealism and in the Tao Te Ching. 

"The shortcomings of psychology like these........." Was thinking if you had alternative ideas, something dynamic.

I do but I don’t really know how to express it very well, and I don’t have any proof that it’s not just madness. 

Mayne i should read the Tao Te Ching 

Edited by alyra

@alyra Yeah I think it is an exceptional book and it's short, personally found it easy to understand. Simplicity, Humility & Kindness "Taoist 3 treasures" . imo Archetypally would be equivalent to "The Three Kings" gifts; Gold(Simplicity), Myrrh(Humility), Frankincense(Kindness). 

Hey no problem, I tend to use people as kind of a soundboard for ideas. Maybe a little bit like Socrates, dialectic.

Edited by RichardY

Well, maybe because our self-image (personality) changes all the time, so it doesnt exist :D