How to be wise

Did the past really happen?

63 posts in this topic

So recently, I became aware of the fact that only the present moment exists. The past, to me, is just a bundle of thoughts and images in my mind. I only have direct experience of the present moment.

And yet, I wonder, did yesterday actually happen? I mean, I remember waking up and doing things yesterday. But now, all that remains are images in my mind about yesterday. I have no proof of yesterday. All evidence of yesterday are memories in my head. 

Logically, you could argue that we humans can’t directly experience all of reality, so even though I can’t experience yesterday, it still existed. 

I don’t really know at this moment. It feels to me a bit that yesterday didn’t actually exist. But rationally, that doesn’t make sense to me. 

I’d love to hear your theories or experiences of this question. 

Edited by How to be wise

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Hey man, you overthinking it.

Go meditate!

hehe

You're just playing with words, of course the past happened. Notice i said HAPPENED. I just printed out your profile picture and ejaculated on top of it, this happened because i'm currently looking at it and the sperm is starting to dry on top of the paper. Time is moving.

@Ether meditation is what led me to this doubt. 

I’m not really ‘thinking’ about this too much. I’m consciously aware right now that I have direct experience only of the present, and all my notions of the past are thoughts in my mind happening right now. So I just consciously asked, did those images about yesterday actually happen? Are they true? 

@vanish but all notion of the past is coming from your memories. Can you show me any proof that 1 hour ago actually existed? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@vanish but all notion of the past is coming from your memories. Can you show me any proof that 1 hour ago actually existed? 

If i do a crime in real life i'll be punished after the fact, thus making the past real.

I had this same question myself recently.  It’s often the things that seem obvious to us that we take for granted the most.  How much of your recollection of the past actually resembles what occurred in the past?  That’s another question.  Memory of the past is a model of the past.  We construct a past in our thoughts and then carry that with us.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

21 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

So I just consciously asked, did those images about yesterday actually happen? Are they true? 

They are true at a certain level of consciousness. At another level they are seen as part of living in thought/belief.

Edited by dorg

this is completely mental masturbation and doesnt matter, but i guess ill give you my opinion so it wont distract you in meditation.

yesterday and today is a duality, while everything is one (including "time" in this case obviously), tada.

@vanish how do you determine if something is true? What is your criteria?

@Joseph Maynor

?

Yeah

Plus the experience at that time was approached partially as far as the limits of what we can be aware of at any given moment. Our capacity to direct attention on more than a few things at a time and all. 

And also the experience being influenced by  ‘what we already know’ was influenced by our biases which also makes for a rather limited  and partial perception. This a distortion in action. 

To top it off when we recollect through memory what happened in the past there is the clinging to our biases in order of bring about a psychological sense of security. So the memory becomes distorted even more to tend to what makes us feel better psychologically. 

Thought ‘memory, knowledge, experience’ is selective. And the ego being a product of thought chooses to believe what ever maintains its own validity/permanence. 

Edited by Faceless

8 minutes ago, dorg said:

I’m consciously aware right now that I have direct experience only of the present

I would question this. Once you figure out your current investigation. ?

Are you consciously aware and have a direct experience of the present? 

Or is the present experience determined by your memory? 

Pretty interesting to explore 

At least I think so?

Edited by Faceless

@Faceless Do you also think that the past didn’t actually happen? 

1 minute ago, Faceless said:
8 minutes ago, dorg said:

I’m consciously aware right now that I have direct experience only of the present

I would question this. Once you figure out your current investigation. ?

Are you consciously aware and have a direct experience of the present? 

Or is the present experience determined by your memory? 

Pretty interesting go explore?

Funny, I did not write what was quoted.

What if the past didn't happen in a different time (at least in our level of time)? Maybe the past happened at the same time as now, but it was different

@How to be wise

This is partially why people say life is a dream.

Sure, you remember bits and pieces of a dream. But the next morning when you wake up, where did it go? Where is it? Did it even happen?

Everyday life works the same way. Only we are very convinced that the events of the past and the projections of the future are real outside the life we’re living. 

@How to be wise The past does not exist, but neither does the present. Present is a relative term to past and future, present is a term that describes you.   You, exist, and are nothingness, nonexistence. It is the formless appearance in form. Spacetime is a form. Light is a form. Etc. Quantum erasure is useful in opening this freedom. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Present, Past and Future happens at the same space/time.

How do i know this? We are all able to see this if we tune to a certain frequency. But in those frequencies, those around you appear as mechanical, pattern bind beings. You see here and there glimpses of awakened human beings, most of them are children. Reality does not feel like reality anymore. All around looks like a joke disguised as serious business. 

From my experience, very little children are tuned to this and animals. Animals on the other hand feel like automated projections of the environment (in other words they lack ego, mind, personality).  

1st dimension is survival, we all know how it is and the fear we feel. 

2nd dimension has like a future: "i will get it, goal" within. 

3rd dimension is the make sense of things in a logical, geometrical pattern way of suroundings and numbers.  

As one reached 4th dimension, the feelings in human beings are transparent and are one with everything else, this dimension is felt very strong in the heart chakra.

5th dimension is felt like a stillness in the environment, everything is sharp and has depth.

6th dimension one is able to see or percieve the forms of sound in light-waves, even thoughts show as patterns of shapes of light and sound. 

7th dimension is the understanding of your own being in a magical/spiritual/unfolding amazement, cannot be described in words, pure exaltation. 

8th dimension unfolds like an eternal aurora borealis, like the green shade/transparent green sky 1 hour before sun rise. One starts to feel eternal.

The 9th dimension is a deeper shade of green, like a completion of the mortal biological beings.

Reaching the 10th dimension is just spectacular, everything around is more vivid in color.

The 11th dimension appears as the feeling of a burning desire in everything.

The 12th dimension is so simple and at the same time complete, in simple words is: GOLDEN. 

I must say that after you go past Silver and Gold reality feels literally infinite, infinite shades of colors, opportunities, growth, completion. And the beautiful thing about this is the same understanding and feeling is all around. From a drop of water in a window to the most complex biological mechanism. Fascinating and scary at the same time. Infinite complex, in a way like looking into a mirror inside of a mirror and so on. 

The most scary thing i experienced was seeing in 360 degrees and feeling the surroundings as transparent. Having the 5 senses combined and feeling with all the 5 senses the entire being and every atom of yourself being hardwired into the same existence outside of you (even a peace of furniture felt like part of me). When minutes appear to be days, hours weeks, years or even millennia. Being, knowing and feeling the entire existence, making sense and cannot explain it, only amazed by it, and i was compelled to cheer and give thanks. 

Even now, that i am writing i give thanks and thanks for reading my real life experience.

I wrote this from my experience of being very high in chi/prana. No external drugs nor stimulants. Just pure internal DMT passed through all the energy body/mind processes. 

Namaste, Mfks!

Open up the flow within you, go to any place and at will you can see the past as a movie in 3d. I call this RL projection. You can see in detail everything that has happened, even the old buildings, environment like parks or gardens, exactly as they were in the past you projected on. 

For me the most important thing in life are not the spectacular experiences of reality. The most important is to know how to heal your own body and have energy at will, anytime, anywhere. 

Namaste, Mfks!

Is now happening? how about 2 seconds ago? create a distinction between now and 2 seconds ago and you tell me the difference. 

Memento Mori