How to be wise

The work of Byron Katie: Turning this world into heaven

158 posts in this topic

Probably the strongest technique I have ever encountered. The work of Byron Katie is a self inquiry process like no other. It is designed to turn your life of suffering to a life in paradise. Literally. The rough process of ‘The work of Byron Katie’ is: questioning all your stressful beliefs until you have none. Now, you might think that this will take forever, as you have lots of beliefs. But actually, it’s very possible that you reach the end of the work within a year or less. Think about it: if you start ‘The work of Byron Katie’ today, then by this time next year you will be living in paradise. How? Well, simply put it, the only reason you think that this life, this world, is not the best it could be for you is because of beliefs that you have. Once those beliefs are dispelled, your life will literally be ‘perfect’. What more could you want? And the best part about this technique is that you can start to see the results today. If you do ‘The work’ for just 30 mins, already you will see that your body feels a lot lighter and far more joyful. Everyday you do ‘The work’, you will see releases on your body due to negative beliefs. And at the end, you will be a living joy. Why meditate for four years and see only average results, when you can reach the pinnacle of spirituality in just one year. 

If you want to start doing the work, the book ‘Loving What Is’ will contain all the information you need to get started. This technique is like no other that you’ll encounter.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Just to play Devils advocate with you... you give this book to a man in prison. He will no longer see the bars as a problem because it was just a point of view or perspective. Now you have a happy man in prison. Isn't it best to first help people (or yourself) over come your basic problems as a human being and then worry about your peaceful mind?

@Neo You will be much more productive if you work without worry or negative feelings. You will be more clearer, and your creativity will blossom. 

And by the way, I meant turning your life to paradise literally. If a prisoner does ‘The work’, he will see ALL of life as a paradise, including the prison cell. It doesn’t mean he won’t try to change it, it means that he will enjoy his life no matter where he his or what is happening to him. It’s a very radical state of consciousness. And it’s possible!

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

This sounds amazing. How many people already tested it? @How to be wise are you also speaking from your direct experience? I have anxiety and emotional blockages.

@egoless This is literally what the people who did ‘The work’ said. But this technique is little known about. If more people knew it, emotional mastery would be a very common thing. 

Check out Byron Katie’s YouTube channel or website for more info. Also her book ‘Loving What Is’.

On 3/8/2018 at 7:35 AM, How to be wise said:

@Neo You will be much more productive if you work without worry or negative feelings. You will be more clearer, and your creativity will blossom. 

And by the way, I meant turning your life to paradise literally. If a prisoner does ‘The work’, he will see ALL of life as a paradise, including the prison cell. It doesn’t mean he won’t try to change it, it means that he will enjoy his life no matter where he his or what is happening to him. It’s a very radical state of consciousness. And it’s possible!

I recall Adyashanti talking about a person he knew who was realized but was serving out a sentence in prison, and yet he was totally content due to his state of presence.  The bars and the walls and guards were all still there for him, it just didn't really matter that much.

@robdl we’re not talking about being ‘content’. We’re talking about making the prison cell into paradise. Imagine that!

22 hours ago, moon777light said:

what about teal swan work? has anyone experience with that

I like some of her stuff. One of the things that helped me more from her was her mindfulness meditation video, here it is...

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

very appealing, thanks for the share. where can i see the testimonials?

im reading letting go by david hawkins, its promises are similar in nature. 

Edited by d0ornokey

@d0ornokey the book ‘Loving What Is’ 

+1 to Byron Katie's work. It's both illuminating and practical.

Advertising your method as a miracle cure for any ailment that will "turn your life into a paradise" is rediculous bs. Any rational person can see that. Has there been any studies on the effectiveness of this method, or is it arguments for it purely anecdotal? The way you advertise it makes me wonder if you are its originator or otherwise have something personaly to gain.

Our time is limited and valuable. There are several powerful methods that have been advocated by sages for millenia and have scientifically documented effects (through rigorous double blind placebo studies). These include mindfulness, loving kindness, prayer and yoga. What reason do we have to chose your particular method? 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

@Erlend K It's not his method. I agree that advertising like 'paradise' is shit, but don't shoot the messenger.

I'm just learning Byron Katie's method. It's just a very good process for dropping judgement (and imho the single most effective tool for uncovering your psychological projection), and as you go deeper, for self-inquiry. It doesn't contradict Buddhist or Jogic teachings, in fact, it seems to me like the perfect tool to actualize them. When Leo say's "question everything", well, here's a method how to do that effectively.

Look her up on youtube (also for @d0ornokey ), and as you see her lead people to profound discoveries, think about how you fool yourself. 

@moon777light Teal Swan has in fact recommended Byron Katie's Work for questioning your thoughts in some video's ;) I'm right now getting familiar with both teachers. They're great. 

Edited by Elisabeth

@Erlend K In the episode ‘The big picture of self-actualization’, Leo said that becoming a sage and fully self-actualizing takes decades. And that is true with bhuddist meditation and Yoga. Shinzen young, who has been practicing zen bhuddism for decades, admitted that he did not fully free himself of suffering. (Obviously he doesn’t suffer nearly as much as we do, but he said he has some way to go.) For yoga, there have been people like Ennio Nimis, who have been practicing Kriya yoga for fourty years hardcore, and again they’re still not completely free of suffering.

Byron Katie, on the other hand, hasn’t suffered a negative emotion in 31 years. The reason I call it heaven is because that’s what I feel often after I finish a session of the work. ALL SUFFERING is because of a belief that you have. The work is a method for undoing that suffering. No labelling, no breathing, none of that. Just straight inquiry into your beliefs until you have none left (that cause you suffering). When you have no beliefs left to inquire, where will any negative emotion come from. You will feel ecstatic every moment of your life. Your mind will be quiet. You will be enlightened. Why meditate or do yoga after that? What for? 

Of course, you can carry on contemplating after that to deepen your understanding of reality. But you will live with no problems. The goal of yoga or meditation was just that. But Leo is right. It will take decades with yoga or meditation. But with ‘The Work’, it’s a matter of a few years. 

Sorry for my first post. I now feel like it was way too sceptical. It actualy does seem interesting.  Im just really put off by anything that seems to promise too much. I will check out the method:)

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

@How to be wise

Do you know of any other people who got enlightened with the help of Katie?

Or is it probably just herself?

I think this topic is pretty interesting. I will get her book and study it!

Edited by Mirror of Confusion

What's the difference between a duck?

5 minutes ago, Mirror of Confusion said:

@How to be wise

Do you know of any other people who got enlightened with the help of Katie?

Or is it probably just herself?

I think this topic is pretty interesting. I will get her book and study it!

Many people have become enlightened with it.

We’re not just talking about enlightenment. We’re talking about sage hood. Total purification of your mind, emotions and habits. And not in decades. In a few years.