Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Timotheus

What's so bad about suffering?

26 posts in this topic

What's so bad about it? What's so bad about slaughtering animals in mass production under the most horrific circumstances? What's so bad about the most horrific warcrimes ever committed? What's so bad about insanely painful emotional abuse, leaving you crippled and unable to enjoy anything in life?

Afterall it is what god intended it to be. And afterall suffering leads to awakening and to an end of suffering.

Edited by Timotheus

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

Nothing wrong with suffering.

When you realize that, paradoxacally...you stop suffering so much!

It's just not pleasant to feel or to see.

Crazy right.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Yeah , that’s why suffering is great  ;)

Observe reality as it is, not as you would like it to be 

41 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

What's so bad about it? What's so bad about slaughtering animals in mass production under the most horrific circumstances? What's so bad about the most horrific warcrimes ever committed? What's so bad about insanely painful emotional abuse, leaving you crippled and unable to enjoy anything in life?

Afterall it is what god intended it to be. And afterall suffering leads to awakening and to an end of suffering.

It´s all good in the end but there is a another way of living this life, that is more pleasant. 

@NahmNo, but yet it is. I cannot even watch Jackass, beacuse it's too painful for me to just watch, but I have to accept.

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

@Nahm Thank you.

- A Course in Miracles

There is life caused suffering, like when we bang our head or stub our toe it hurts. When we get hungry there is a pain in our stomach that let's us know we need nourishment. There is sickness, there is mourning when we lose loved ones so all suffering isn't the same.

Those are things that come with being alive in this world but there is the self induced suffering we cause for ourselves. Do we self suffer from hunger after we have eaten? Although, we can still have genuine pain from memories and trauma that can be healed so we won't continue suffering.

We don't have to self suffer from things in the past that aren't in the present. We don't have to self suffer from things that may or may not happen in the future. We don't have to self suffer from what is imagined, perceived or from identity attachment.

There is a type of yearning, a feeling of not being fulfilled in life that can cause a self suffering as well and people will try to find many things to fill that yearning. Finding contentment that transcends just things or circumstances is another way to cease that kind of self suffering.

Just to say "suffering" may be oversimplifying it.

Let's see if you maintain that position while in deep suffering yourself. 

42 minutes ago, Markus said:

Let's see if you maintain that position while in deep suffering yourself. 

That's not what I've said

- A Course in Miracles

3 hours ago, Timotheus said:

And afterall suffering leads to awakening and to an end of suffering.

As Leo said in one if his videos:

purification = pain * mindfulness

suffering = pain * resistance

To be alive as an ego means to suffer. And still you see around so much egos lost in ignorance.

You must be conscious of your suffering to be purified. Suffering itself won't make it.

13 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

That's not what I've said

I rest my case.

15 minutes ago, Danda said:

Suffering itself won't make it.

@Danda Suffering got you to the point to hear the message and I bet without further suffering there wouldn't be an interest to awaken.

20 minutes ago, Danda said:

purification = pain * mindfulness

suffering = pain * resistance

Some degree of mindfulness has always been there and some degree of resistance will always be there as long as there is a sense of self.

7 minutes ago, Markus said:

I rest my case.

Of course, but it's mental masturbation that brought us here in the first place. 

- A Course in Miracles

2 hours ago, Danda said:

As Leo said in one if his videos:

To be alive as an ego means to suffer. And still you see around so much egos lost in ignorance.

You must be conscious of your suffering to be purified. Suffering itself won't make it.

Why care about leo? I mean it's not like he is enlightened. How about listening to nisargadatta?