Nexeternity

Depression: Stuff that helped me

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys!  I am a guy who has suffered from depression since adolescence.

I remember it would come from lack of acceptance from the opposite sex mostly.

Then as I got older from lack of meaning in my work.

I would beat myself up for not being better and even for getting depressed and not being grateful.  

I would manipulate myself alot to be the kind of guy girls wanted to be with.

I have and still struggle at times with self acceptance.

After 3 ayahuasca trips and a 5 meo trip I can honestly say I don't see myself ever getting into a long period of depression ever again.

I wanted to share some things that might help.

The obvious stuff you already know:  diet, exercise, meditation, reading, sunlight, any and all personal development, social activities, trying to make decent friends, etc.

Also:  Ayahuasca is really healing.  Medicine for the soul.

Now a few things I think are key:

Be honest.  Try and find someone that will listen and accept you in your state.  One of the things that I would do is not try to be depressed with people, or to stay alone to not “bring them down”   That is not really healthy.  Yes lots of people can't deal with your depression and will invalidate you or reject you, or try and distract you.  But certain people can be amazing.  They will listen to you, hug you, let you cry.  Basically accept you as you are and not need you to change.

That is what you need.  Just one person like that can make all the difference.

Let yourself be depressed!  Soak yourself in it and don't try to fight it and make an enemy out of it.  Give your depression its freedom. You are lacking in love, both external and internal.  Let yourself be depressed while you do things that are loving towards yourself, whatever they may be.

Once I developed enough consciousness over my depression in my last heartbreak (there have been many)  I would even hear a commentary from my mind that would say “Man, poor dude.  I hope this guy feels better soon”  

Be that accepting compassionate person for yourself.

Touch.  Get a massage, or any body work, ask for a hug.  Physical loving contact is incredible at bringing out the trauma, the hurt, and healing it.  

Try not blame and take things personally.  It's the hardest thing to do.  We blame ourselves and others.  We make things really personal and feel a huge weight of the world on our shoulders.

There's a larger process going on, and for some reason your depression is playing a part in it.  There are many, many mechanisms at work, nobody really knows what's ultimately going on with life.

You did what you had to do, suffered what you had to suffer.  Now it's time to let go of the suffering little by little.

Good luck!  Hope this helps someone.

For me it was a lot about accepting the past and overall creating a more and more loving relationship with myself, having faith in my mood getting better with meditation and not identifying with negative thoughts, especially limiting beliefs. Seeing limiting beliefs as just random stuff one brain is creating.

yes, all these strategies sound great and are helpful.

Now , I have a had a extremely terrible childhood and have suffered from years of depression , I  took mushrooms , ecstasy and LSD . I never cured my depression with any of these but I did have amazing experiences . I went to years of therapy and every single therapist said that depression is anger turned inwards , so I had to focus on letting go of the anger I felt inside. 

Somehow, being around others who have positive feelings towards us can help with depression very very much.

What helped me was to value my life more. Realising how we should care for ourselves. Realising how short our time is on this earth. Realising how lucky we should be to be alive in this era.

Deep down, we should be so grateful. Life is amazing, we shouldn’t have permission to complain/be depressed.

Hopefully this helps anyone who sees this and feels ‘depressed’

good point , tend to forget about being grateful to even be alive .....

This is really good advice! Even just for a down mood. Luckily I don't suffer from depression any more, but every once in a while I'll have a couple of blue days. In those times, I find it very helpful to tell myself, "I'm feeling down, and that's ok." I don't always remember to accept my state of emotions. The tendency to judge yourself is strong! But when I finally do accept it, it's a relief. There's such a release when I finally tell myself, "It's okay to feel sad." I'll try to keep these tips in mind, thanks!

@Speedscarlet Who hurt you?

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@petragr U still depressed?

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

What I wonder about these things is,

why do you want to be with a girl so badly in those periods of depression? Why do you want to be a guy that is accepted by girls?

Is your life incomplete without some girl giving you some attention and appreciation? It sounds you need some self-love first to be honest.

Having a gil in your lief will just give you that extra fun, but your happiness shouldn't depend on it?

That said, glad to hear you're better!

I do self-healing with reiki and ever since every time I do reiki I feel very good as if something inside me shifts permanently.

Thank you for the insights?.

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi