Edvard

I'm about to eat candy again

17 posts in this topic

I have eaten no candy for about 3 months now, but I'm just about to backlash. Any words that will prevent me from going to the shop/keeping me motivated? Or should I just screw this "project"? I miss candy...

Thanks..

@Edvard Buy an apple.

You don't crave candy. You crave carbs and sugar. Fruits have fructose, which is still sugar, but it's healthier, and they also have carbs.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

At least be a man and make your own decisions and stand by it. No one gives a rats ass if you eat those butter cups or not.

I swear, some people on this forum...

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Edvard Eat one more apple then, lol. Kudos on posting on the forum instead of going straight for the candy though.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Will restrain the urge for now, but I don't know how much longer I can... hehe

My advice would be to go eat that candy. And anytime you want to eat a candy - eat it. And after you eat it, don't shame yourself, because your shame is artificial and ego-created and also a sign of unacceptance of reality.

By using merely your willpower you're never going to fix your issues definitely. After a certain amount of time you're going to backslide.

It's all because you're trying to fix a behaviour without fixing the cause of the behaviour. And, in your case, the cause is unconscious belief that there's no problem eating candy, there's no reason why you wouldn't do it.

You can tell yourself any amount of times you REALLY want to get rid of this habit, but your behaviour will always spoil your deepest desire.

So how would you fix your problem? Contemplation and awareness.

Contemplate on "Why do I not want to eat candy?", "What made me decide that I want to drop candies from my diet?". And question every answer that comes up. Get to the bottom of the things. 

@Serge Because I figure pleasure like that spoils me and numbs my mind + I know that eating candy now would make me crave it even more in just a week than it would by just totally staying away from it. And I don't need candy to survive, and I shouldn't really need it either, to be happy. I regard it as emotional labour, that is also inevitable in the spiritual process. It's just that I'm starting to wonder how long it's gonna take for the cravings to fully vanish. I guess I have to give it some more time. 3 months is not that much after all. And it's not that I'm dying to eat it, I just miss it, and thought it could be motivational to hear other's thoughts on whether this is a good idea of mine, and I should keep staying away from it. Yes, sometimes it's useful to negotiate with yourself, a little, but at some point you have to negotiate for the last time. Because if I eat it now, I sort of want it even more the next day, and will totally backslide. Have to contemplate whether this is worth it, and maybe you got something to say.

@Edvard You don't understand.

The fact that you have the craving already means that the unconscious you has no problem eating candies.

The reason you're currently giving yourself for not eating candies is ungrounded.

It's just that I'm starting to wonder how long it's gonna take for the cravings to fully vanish.

With your current strategy, they're never going to vanish. And the idea that you hold that they actually will disappear is an illusion.

I just miss it, and thought it could be motivational to hear other's thoughts on whether this is a good idea of mine, and I should keep staying away from it. Yes, sometimes it's useful to negotiate with yourself, a little, but at some point you have to negotiate for the last time.

The process you're calling "negotiate with yourself" is never useful, because it implies willpower. Willpower will never totally solve your problems. And the motivational words you're looking for are just neurotic fuel that won't work long term.

Your problems lie far beyond your candy problem. It's a web of limiting beliefs you have to work on. If you do the work consistently, you will be amazed how all of your "bad habits" will go away by themselves. Devote yourself to the self-actualization process if you want long term life fulfillment.

Edited by Serge

5 minutes ago, Serge said:

The fact that you have the craving already means that the unconscious you has no problem eating candies.

So you advice no discipline in life, at any point, is that right? Would you say the same about nicotin or heroin addiction? Obviously it would be a long term good for one's healt to get rid of those habits, but it would require discipline and emotional labour. Without that it would never happen, unless your fully enlightened, I guess, but then it probably wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

@Edvard Stop the black and white thinking. We were talking about the candy situation, and you brought up the heroin addiction. Heroin is far much damaging than candies, and a person with heroin addiction's mind is far more unhealthy than yours. As for nicotin, depending on how much the person is smoking, I would advise the same thing as I did to you. But you don't understand me. All you hear is: "So you tell me I drop all my discipline and eat all the candy I want and my problem will go away by itself!". That's not what I'm telling you. What I'm telling you is that your current strategy won't work because you're not treating the cause of the disease, but it's symptoms.

Your trying to apply discipline. And what you call discipline is a collection of artificial neurotic SHOULDS in your life. Have you asked yourself why the cravings keep appearing? Why you can't help stopping eating candies? Have you really really contemplated, like spent about 100 hours on contemplating about this only question? 

But you won't because you find it nonsense. You're looking for a quick fix, a shortcut, something PRACTICAL. Don't get surprised then if you get stuck in the same behaviour.

Without that it would never happen, unless your fully enlightened

Are you aplying discipline, restraining yourself, looking for motivational words, fight cravings to help you not to kill people? 

Again, stop your black and white thinking.

"Children want candy, adults want self-control."

-- Rumi

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, Edvard said:

I have eaten no candy for about 3 months now, but I'm just about to backlash. Any words that will prevent me from going to the shop/keeping me motivated? Or should I just screw this "project"? I miss candy...

Thanks..

The best way to control yourself is at the shop. Just don't buy junk food and at home you won't have an option to eat your trash candies. 

Eat some berries instead, even frozen berries are great.  Berries are Nature’s candy.  My favorite are frozen blueberries.  For a chocolate fix, buy yourself some raw cocoa powder and mix some of that in with a smoothie sweetened with fruit — such as a banana.  You don’t have to give up tasty sweets, you just have to find a more high-consciousness way to indulge in them.  Dark chocolate with a high percentage of raw cocoa is another option.  Another option is Greek yogurt with high-quality raw honey drizzled in with a few frozen berries sprinkled on top.  I have this honey that is so raw it has a chunk of the bee-hive actually inside the jar!  It’s pretty cool.

Fresh raspberries are just as good as candy.  A juicy orange is pretty sweet too and contains your entire day’s requirements for vitamin C.  That’s pretty cool.  It made me appreciate eating oranges more.  Oranges are also full of fiber which is another benefit they offer.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Actually i think the best way is not about control but about re-evaluating candies. You want candy because besides sweet taste you value that moment of sweet tastiness and you subconsciously think that experiencing sweet taste is really beneficial for you. But do Realise that sweet taste of candy has zero value for your happiness and it has zero value in the objective reality. Realise you don't need those candies, they have zero value, they won't provide you benefits, they won't make you happy even during that moment you eat them. This is just trick candy does to you. You have to really deeply understand this, and you might become free. Same goes to whatever addiction you got, it all has zero value. If you do realise this, you won't have emotional attachment, simply candy won't trigger emotions in you

also notice that if you cut all candies and wheat then even carrots and tomatoes taste like candies, needless to say about fruits!

Edited by Monkey-man

Make yourself a frozen popsicle out of orange juice or some kind of fruit juice. Then you get to suck on it for a while and think of ways not to crave.

If fruits doesn't do it try dried fruit or Introduce Raw Honey into your life, you'll forget candy and refined sugars.

B R E A T H E