Serazer

How To Reconcile With The Idea That All Evil Is In Me?

14 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have a problem understanding reconciling evil, suffering and ignorance.

Leo, in this video 'The Big Picture Of Self-Actualization' from 28:30 to 30:00, talks about this. He invites us to understand that we are the evil ones. None of these things are outside us, they are all in us. Please feel free to watch and remind yourselves if need be. 

I have heard/read similar things, following Kabbalah and Zen teachings, too. However I am finding it extremely difficult to understand this concept. My mind resists, constantly finds loads of examples, and fights against me. Not even in theory this makes sense, I am at a loss for words about its practical applications in daily life. What sort of person would I be, if I manage to reconcile evil, suffering and ignorance? What would I do in the face of injustice? What would I do when I see people doing harm? 

I'd be grateful if you could give me some pointers. Maybe a book, another video (of Leo or someone else) or maybe a way of thinking? an example...

Thanks a lot! Best, Serazer 

Shiva, Thank you for your reply! 

This is very difficult. I am trying to understand how I project evil. I see and label somethings as evil. I do this myself. Is this what Leo means when he claims I am the most (the only) evil? (I am guessing the answer is yes)

For some situations, I can understand what you said (evil being subjective and non-existing). Some people I see as evil may be other people's heroes. And probably this is my ignorance (not caring, not trying to understand). But, for example, a spiteful person can try and harm someone for no reason other than spite and jealousy. This person is nobody's hero, right? It won't even help them. They just want others' misery. They find delight in it. How am I evil if I witness such an act of jealousy? (Or, if it is done to me?)  

Also, surely a rapist is nobody's hero, right? (Even though he (or she) thinks that he has every right to do this. And maybe he did it as a good deed, thinking that he is a hero. Or whatever justification he has) But, don't we all agree that the rapist is evil (and also ignorant, I guess) and it's not us (not our labelling or our projection), it's the rapist that is evil and/or doing evil, no? Or, is it simply the way we talk about it? Rape is wrong but nobody is evil. Is that it? 

What you said made it one level more complicated. I guess I have to carry on thinking about this. Thanks again!  

You seem to have a harsh view of rapists. They are ill, so they may not need any justification and do not necessarily think they are doing the right thing.

Its not evil if it can be explained by something else, such as sadism, neurosis or a twisted view of sexuality. Psychopaths or hatred is not evil either. These are corruption of the mind. Evil is not and therefor it's not something you find just hanging around.

@Serazer I'll have a video about this soon.

But no, we do not agree that rapists are evil. Contemplate why you feel rapists are evil. Notice, it's only because they do things which thwart your self-agenda. If you weren't in the process of self-survival, nothing would be evil to you.

And of course rapists obviously don't consider themselves evil. They are doing what they need to do to survive, just like any other organism, including you.

Evil just boils down to selfishness. That's all it is. When you break the illusion of having a self, all the selfish actions of others will stop bothering you. Notice that selfishness only bothers you because it gets in the way of your own selfishness! Hating selfishness, is ironically, selfish!

Evil isn't in you. Evil is the story you make up in order to justify your own selfishness.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It's not rape if I enjoy it. Though if a persons face is all caved in, their sphincter ruptured and they now have syphilis. I wonder if an enlightened Guru is going to be chill with that, if it happened to them(as a sack of meat)? Instead of Evil, could the term unhealthy(or insane) be applicable and if so, wouldn't health(or sanity) be preferable(or the eventual default). What would be the most healthy or the most unhealthy?

Although to the Ego as to a heroin addict or rapist healthy and unhealthy probably matter little, if at all. Would health mean something different to an enlightened person then compared to a doctor or a person ego driven?

Maybe there is some sort of Total recall scenario to deal with the ego, quick fix/botched job, divine providence, meditation, something..... Not that I necessarily want to do anything with my ego, curious and thinking aloud.

@Serazer It's quite simple really. 'Evil' is just a concept that you have created. It's a thought, an idea. It's not inherent in the 'external' world in any way. Think about it, would there be any evil if no humans existed?

Nothing is inherently evil, or good, or anything for that matter. 'Good' and 'evil' are just concepts created for your self-survival. But, this obviously doesn't mean that it's ok to just go and murder or rape someone. These 'rules' still apply of course, and always will. But from the bigger perspective, murder and rape have no value or meaning, they are neither bad nor good. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Dear All and Leo, Thank you very much for your replies! I guess I see what you mean. I'm hoping I'll get there more comfortably. I'll need some more time. 

As for the rape: For example I am trying to think what other species do to survive and I think about many many colourful mating rituals where couples try and look attractive to each other. Of course there is also forced intercourse in nature - lots and lots mind you. Only to be clear I want to tell you that I wouldn't call a bear eating me 'evil.' But anyways, mostly I get what you mean.  

Leo, I'm  looking forward to your video! (Maybe you have done that. I'm gonna check that out next.)

(I am only coming back to see your replies now because I thought I would get an automatic email, if there were replies. Sorry about the late response.)

Watch these three videos:

What is Ego?

What is Karma?

What's Wrong with Ego?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

In my direct and pure experience, what we call the ''devil'' is really an existant entity out there, not just a part of yourself. It came from my back as a dark shadow and literally moved my body with force, and the story goes on but no need to explain the unexplained.

@Joseph Maynor, Thank you. I'll watch these videos asap. Haven't seen them before. 

@Highest, thanks for your comment. Many years ago, I had -sort of- a similar- experience in a nightmare (mine was almost exactly like Henry Fuseli's 'Nightmare;' but my incubus was looking towards my feet), from which I still feel grateful that I somehow managed to wake up. I still remember how my arms was hurting for a very long time after that night, trying to lift the incubus in order to be able to breath! But it's not what I am talking about now. I am talking about people like us but doing much more than 'trying to survive or thrive.' I am talking about people, who -in a way- enjoy other's suffering, who spend time and energy to hurt others; to make others' sad or unhappy, even though it is not helping them in any way. I don't think I have that sort of evil in me. I don't think I ever had it but I believe I have seen it in others. That's what I am trying to understand.    

I watched @Leo Gura's video twice and thought a lot meanwhile. That video is really very good. I am sure you all watched it but if not, I strongly recommend it. I guess I am starting to understand what Leo means and why I am having difficulty. Thank you very much, Leo! I appreciate your work. It was very timely for me. On a side note, 'Carnivale' (the cancelled HBO show) is one of my all time favourite TV shows.  

Thanks for all the comments! Much appreciated. 

Mind is evil, is like you project your mind to other, there is no other , all you see is being, you know the isness?? That all is just happening? All is just be, the rapist is part of the isness the being so that is reality that you see when you say that is bad you project the mind, you know all of the content of your mind is like you are others to the other and what is bad or wrong is unite to good.. there is a unity when you judge it as bad or wrong you delude yourself and you are moralizing what you learn about the society and you know we are in the matrix so it is the illusion it is not the true.. when they do such thing they do it not for the sake thay yes it is bad so i will do it.., they do it because they are not incontrol and you also do it , that am i right? When you judge you think that you are right and that is wrong your emotions controls you.. :D 

Edited by John Iverson

Defining something as evil (or hero) creates separation.

A non-separate perspective is that there are just happenings. There are movements and sensations. It just is. 

"Evil" is a concept added on to a happening.

The idea that "Evil is subjective because something could be evil to one person, yet hero to another person" misses the point. This perspective is still separating a happening that just "IS" into a thing that could be either evil or hero. 

Lots of valid points in this thread regarding the concept of evil, and that what qualifies as evil and what doesn't qualify as evil is highly subjective. It's a social thing, things that were considered appropriate 200 years ago are considered evil today - slavery for instance. 

But I think it is also important to remark that one shouldn't create an identity out of the idea that evil is just a concept. Let me clarify: when one reads this thread one can assume that it is appropriate to not act when one sees someone get raped. Because all evil is just a concept, right? Yes evil is just a concept. But the Truth of being is a duality, you are limitless consciousness, but you are also a human being. And human beings act out what they think is right, that is what humans do. So there can actually be a deep realization that 'evil' is a subjective concept, while still acting out your innate humanity. The big trap in consciousness work is trying to totally distance oneself from being human, because when doing so there is just an ego that is trying to rebel against itself. And ego's love to rebel, because rebelling makes sure it's existence is extended even longer. Ego identification thrives on friction.

So how does one act in the face of perceived 'evil'? Well, the same way one acts when the dishes have to be done, or the laundry, or the food has to be cooked. You are always acting, even in passivity, one is acting passive. No choice is also a choice. Beyond thought there is the innate wisdom how to act appropriately in any situation life might throw at you.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)