Toasty

What Careers Do The Folks Have In This Forum

36 posts in this topic

I'm a web developer at a global company  (60 000 employees). I was looking at the posts of why people got into self help. It's didn't appear many went the generic root of college and work you way up the corparate ladder. Honestly i enjoy working for a big company.  Meet so many people. 

I left a miserable but stable job at the IRS for 7 years to follow my passion with cars, i have ALWAYS wanted to sell and invest in cars and also fix them up.  I am now doing just that, i love my life ten times better now and i make way more then i did previously and can basically work my own schedule.

My only regret is that i didnt get out of my safe but miserable job sooner, i am in love with my career and i will open my own dealership after i learn enough.  Driving home a different top of the line car every day is so damn fun.  Corvette ZR1 i took last week and it is one of my favorites.  

@Blessed81 yeah, must of been scary to make the plunge. I don't really know if i like my job or not. I know i love talking to people though.

Another web developer over here- usually work with much smaller companies tho  ^_^

Edited by Neill Bolton

Graphic and web Designer here. Also comic creator and illustrator.

:)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I am a lawyer.

There are things that I like and there are things that I dislike.

I like solving "legal puzzles" (cases). I like to take part in important events of other person's life and recieve a lot of gratefulness from them, if the result is good. I like the feeling of doing something "correct and right" when I apply my theoretical knowledge in practice (feels like finally solving an equation when you are a mathematician) .  I like the feeling after you win a trial. I like "being smart". It also fits to my INTJ personality type.

But lawyers always deal with some abstract theoretical human fantasies like: rules, who is right and who is wrong, what is fair and what is not fair and such bullshit. I do not value these human fantasies much. I wish I was doing something more important or practical. Doctors and builders see the particular physical and obviously positive result of their work, while lawyers see only papers and fantasies and all the results are abstract.

This profession is not my passion. But I am ok with it also.

I think that the thing I could do most passionately, is to tell other people about self actualization and enlightenment (first, learn about it and practice it a lot myself, of course) - just like Leo does. 

And I'd love to work with nature and animals.

Or do science (physics, chemistry, learn about space).

Also I think I'd passionately do some work on legalizing psychedelics.

Fish and water research for a government land management agency. It's a blast.

I'm a software developer. I don't call myself a web developer, because most of what I do is on the back-end, server-side software, even though sometimes I also do web applications.

I've been working as a freelancer since the beginning of 2009. Before that, I've been an employee in a big software consulting company for more than 13 years. Starting as a freelancer is absolutely the best thing that I ever did in my career. I now have a lot more freedom and money (2,5x the income compared to when I was an employee). I consider myself fortunate that I'm in this business, because there's a big demand for good software developers and there aren't many people who are really good at it. I've never had any trouble finding work. In my opinion, the security of a permanent job is overestimated.

I absolutely do not want to go back to being an employee.

Edited by Jesper

I am studying psychology at university but I am more and more drawn to film / filmmaking and the arts in general..

Edited by Maria Neumann

I am currently in the U.S. military and when my contract is fulfilled, I am going to college to become a commercial airline pilot.

I never got on the 'career' path. As a child I never had any particular inclination towards anything. I loved being outside, in the world, in nature. But that didn't tally with any sort of career path that we were 'encouraged' to pursue at school.

I had a knack for technology, computers and electronics so everyone expected me to follow that..which I tried to do. But 3 years in to an Electronics degree I realised that I was doing it for everyone else and not for me. I was struggling to pass exams and focus. My heart just wasn't in it, so I quit. A decision I don't regret.

About the same time as that I went on a bit a road trip. I loved being out on the open road so much, with a veiw of the world around me, that I dicided there and then that I wanted to have a go at truck driving. Got myself a licence and a job. Loved it, for about 7 years.

My other passion was flying. I had 300hours in gliders and thought about maybe making flying my profession. So I quit trucking and spent 2  years training for an Air Transport Pilot Licence. Which I got. Unfortunately I completed my licence just as the worldwide recession hit. Not many airlines were recruiting and those that were were asking for too much experience etc. Lack of time and money saw my licence expire and I never made it into the industry. I don't have the money to renew my licence now. Besides, I've been out of the game to long to now to be accepted anyway.

So now I'm in limbo, wondering where to go next. I have no real drive at the moment. What limited options that are available to me don't fill me with any enthusiasm. So I am left re-evaluating my passions and priorities in life. As I have gone down the path of self-development my world view has changed to the point that I am not sure what holds value for me in terms of jobs and careers.

I get the ultimate feeling that there is more to life than careers and jobs. I know we all need money to live, but that too is something I am re-evaluating. It seems that we spend our lives preoccupied with our jobs, letting them rule our lives. I can't help feeling that the priorities need to be elsewhere. Not somehting I can explain right here and now. There is more to all this than meets the eye.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

I'm currently studying computer science and I love it. :P

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

I'm a nursing assistant in a retirement home; previously I've worked as an assistant in a psychiatric ward, as well as general worker in construction and roadwork. While making things (roads, sidewalks, buildings, etc.) is quite enjoyable, I find I prefer the caring/nurturing professions a lot more (if not the actual work involved, then at least the co-workers are much more pleasant company, generally), and it's most likely what I'll keep on doing for quite a while, yet. Possibly, at some point, I might take up studying to become a nurse but I'm not sure if I will - there's plenty of time to figure that out.

Full-time content manager at an internet company, part-time videogame composer and rock guitarist/songwriter, working hard to make things to be the other way around. 

Master's in Education, but have been in retail business for the past 17 years and loving it.

Freelancer artist here, in an active search for my life purpose.

Something to do with/mix together spirituality and art will surely emerge :)