Toasty

What Careers Do The Folks Have In This Forum

36 posts in this topic

A dentist here. I have been doing this for only one year and it's pretty fun. The screams of humans in pain is like music to my ears xD . Neha, just kidding. I do like that I get to interact with all kinds of people and that I am self employed. Not sure if this is really the perfect career for me yet. I aspire to something greater but for now I am happy with it until I figure out witch way to go. 

Doing my phd in molecular cancer biology working in the field of melanoma research! 

@Jesper awesome, i want to move to software dev. What programming language do you recommend?

i got my BA in psych back in 2011. worked with developmentally disabled kids as my first job requiring a psych degree. although it was rewarding, it was not for me.

several months later i began my MBA program. during that time i began working in at a nutritional supplement retailer (not GNC) and am currently still there. I am moving up in the company but definitely do not plan to stay there forever as i am currently meeting with some older/successful individuals in the Wellness field (corporate wellness, etc)  where i can hopefully find work utilizing my MBA and fulfilling my passion for health and wellness. 

I also play music here and there but as a hobby and not a means to generate income.

sometimes i feel i am going on the right track, others i am very discouraged and feel so far behind because i haven't "figured it out" yet when it seems like many of my other peers already have, 

@gian Hi gian. I've had three career jobs to date. In each I felt passionate about my work, though I also found there was a time for change. I haven't regretted time spent in those fields of endeavour as I learnt a lot along the way. You are so right that you that may end up finding work utilising your MBA and passion for health and wellness.

I benefited a lot from a book by Susan Jeffers, called Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway. In her book, Susan describes a method of 'no lose decision making'. I've read the book a few times now and it really has helped me to push through my fears and let go of outcomes or expectations, and, to appreciate what I have learned along the way. Here's a quote I found about the no lose decision making model. Best wishes. :)

"We're all so scared of making mistakes that we become paralysed and end up making no decision at all, which keeps us stuck in an unhappy place. 

Well, how's about looking at it a different way? Susan Jeffers, the author of Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway, believes in "No Lose Decision Making" - she believes that whatever choice we make will lead to new experiences and learning opportunities. In other words, a win-win situation. So even if we decide to leave our job but find we hate our new job just as much, Susan would argue that you will be meeting new people at the new job who may be useful, or you'll be learning good lessons about what it is that you do and don't want to do in life. It's all about how you see things. So this week, try to relax about any decision making. 

Tell yourself that whatever happens, "it's all happening perfectly"".

9 hours ago, Toasty said:

@Jesper awesome, i want to move to software dev. What programming language do you recommend?

It's hard to recommend one programming language. To become a great programmer, you'll want to learn multiple programming languages. The most used programming languages in enterprise software are Java and C#, other popular programming languages are JavaScript, C, C++ and Python, and there are thousands of other programming languages out there. I do most of my professional work in Java and Scala.

I don't have a career. :)

I'm an art student and I want to specialize in graphic design and illustration, because I'm interested in symbolism and communication of ideas via text and images.

11 hours ago, gian said:

sometimes i feel i am going on the right track, others i am very discouraged and feel so far behind because i haven't "figured it out" yet when it seems like many of my other peers already have, 

Comparing yourself to others is the ego doing its ego thing! The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday (as the saying goes) ^_^

@Jesper would you say programming is something you enjoy?  Can it be a life purpose? I studied java script but i cant say i really enjoyed it. But I'm wondering if i become a expert of programming would it be enjoyable. Do activities needed to be enjoyable off the bat? Good thing about programming is that it pays well and is in demand. 

Working on my master thesis in Semiotic Archaeology right now. I also have great background in 3D modeling, animation and visual effects, Video/Audio composting and production, Graphic Design and Music Comp/Production. Currently I am attending training as a 3D modeler and texturer in a major movie industry related company from my country.  

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

7 hours ago, Toasty said:

@Jesper would you say programming is something you enjoy?  Can it be a life purpose? I studied java script but i cant say i really enjoyed it. But I'm wondering if i become a expert of programming would it be enjoyable. Do activities needed to be enjoyable off the bat? Good thing about programming is that it pays well and is in demand. 

@Toasty For me it is definitely something I enjoy and am passionate about. I grew up in the 1980's when the 8-bit home computers were popular. My brother and I got a Commodore 64 in December 1984 and it wasn't long before I discovered programming on it. It has been my hobby since I was a teenager. Things that I love about it are the intellectual challenge, it's like solving a big and complicated puzzle, and the creativity - to design and build a system just starting with my imagination and getting the fulfillment of seeing it working exactly as I had imagined.

Do not choose a profession only because it pays well but that you don't enjoy - that will make you bored and miserable, no matter how much money you get for it.

I still enjoy the programming itself a lot, but the past six months I've been thinking about what the next thing for me would be with regards to work. One thing that has been in the back of my mind for a long time is to give courses or presentations. A few months back I found an opportunity to speak at a conference, I applied for it and my idea for a talk was accepted. I've been preparing and practicing a lot - and next week I'll be on stage at a conference in Vienna!

@FindingPeace Hi my friend, you have done and achieved a lot sofar I mean till now, career means money? No, do not get it wrong, I wish I would have done more in personal development than career if it means money , I am working in one of the biggest bank , international worldwide making really good money BUT career in direction of Actualization was null. Till I have found Leo's we side for 9 months, I have started to work hard in this direction because I feel I lost whole life just to make career So tell me, I have done career?

Corporate Recruiter- specifically I find and retain the executives for a global manufacturer. Understanding the psychology of a candidate at this level is crucial. At first I sought to understand how the mind worked in the sense of making big employment changes. However I loved it so much I turned into a workaholic and didn't see (or more appropriately ignored) some huge, glaring red flags in my interpersonal relationships.  personal mistakes got me digging in deeper and it really opened my eyes to self actualization and self awareness. Moving forward I see those mistakes as not mistakes at all. I had a role in it all, and that reality brought me comfort and closure to a lot of "whys." However, If I did well when I only had a portion of the knowledge, my excitement is from seeing what I can do with this deeper understanding. I would love to spend time working with victims of abuse and educating them on how to find sanity and serenity by understanding what happened, what their own role was, and then how to change what they can control to experience life outside the darkness. Like a retreat of some sort where people come in the front door, drop their past off at coat check and come out the back door emotionally armed to move forward. 

@JeffR1 this was very helpful, Jeff. thank you very much! i know i am going in the right direction, and your words definitely give me some calmness on the matter. i will check that book out as well!