randomancer

Tips For My First Trip? (solo)

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

For a long time I've been very curious about psychadelics, but have not taken the steps towards trying it. Fortunately a friend of mine had psilocybe cubensis and I finally took the step, and I have now 5g in a bag in my hand. It feels somewhat unreal that I on my own initiative just bought "drugs". Even though I am very open-minded, all the years of stigma around the subject still makes it feel a little weird. But I am sure I must try this since I've considered it for so long.

I've watched Actualized videos for pretty much 1 year exactly and also began meditating daily every day since, so I've conceptually somewhat grasped what awareness, ego and non-duality is about which I think reduce the chance of me freaking out.

My plan is to take 1g dried shrooms alone in my apartment, with food prepared. And I'm obviously doing it the Actualized way, not too interested in seeing flying elephants for the sake of fun.

Anyway, since I expect the trip to last for 4-8 hours I wonder what I should do all the time? Even though I've meditated for a year I've mostly done 15 min sessions and a few 30 min sessions before.

Meditate? Music? Movie? Just sit in the sofa watching a painting and thinking?

Considered walking in to the woods close by with shades, but there are quite a lot of people that like to walk/jog there so I'm not sure.

All tips are welcome, I have read much on different sources but hopefully you can prepare me even more. Thanks in advance :)

(Note: I don't have any traumas or something of that kind. Had a very safe and boring youth, although quite bad confidence and slight social anxiety until age 20. Now I'm 24 and it has turned around quite radically)

@randomancer Good to see more people trying shrooms! Once you've taken them, your stigma of many drugs will disappear for good :) 

First of all, up the dosage. I know it's your first trip but you're well prepped for it. You seem mature and with good intentions. Go with 1.5g my man ;)

Don't eat for 6 hours before you eat the shrooms if you can. If you need a snack have something very small just to tide you over. Meditate for at least 1 hour during the day before you take them, and meditate after you've eaten them until you start tripping. A calm mind is very conducive to a good trip, and the mindfulness you've built up will help A LOT if you have negative thoughts during the trip :)

No technology during the trip, except maybe listening to music. But you've only got 6 hours or so of possibly the biggest insights you've ever had in your life being fired at you. You will want to make it count - watching movies or TV is a HUGE distraction from these insights and remembering them for after the trip. I'm fairly sure that the feeling of boredom will not arise for you anyway if you're doing proper inner work.

If you have spiritual experiences, it's tempting to watch spiritual videos to confirm what you're experiencing, but enjoy the raw experience and wait until after the trip to confirm etc.

If going outside feels good and the right thing to do at the time, I'd do it. Might open up more insights for you.

If I think of more I'll come back with it. I'd love to see a trip report! :)

Edited by RossE

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

I would take a 1.5 - 2gram dose. Do whatever you want during the trip, but don't get distracted by looking at your phone or your computer or even being on this forum. Just face truth, and if you want, post up a trip report here. I enjoy reading other people's experiences.B|

Great you want to try mushrooms :)

I would recommend making it into a tea. The recipe is in this video. 

Also, don't put too much rules on yourself. Doesn't matter how much planing you do, mushrooms will take you where you need to be and what you need to see. But it's still very important to have an intention for the trip. If you want to have en ego death it's better to do a larger dose but for you it would still be better to start small since you've never tried psychedelics before.

I would recommend watching spiritual videos like mooji's satsangs or any other teacher that you resonate with. That can be a very helpful thing if you start freaking out. They can put you back in the right mindset. But of course, only you decide what is needed for you. 

The music is also very good. Ambient, psybient, chill, etc go very nicely with psychedelics. But again, whatever suits you.

And always remember to fully surrender to the trip! Have an amazing trip my friend :)

Edited by Be Yourself

Don't try to become a Buddha. Just be yourself. That is the Buddha.

Bliss out to LeakyBliss ? ➡ https://bit.ly/2Ld2QOC

Do not underestimate set and setting.  If your mindset isn't in the right place and the setting isn't just right (nice weather and no mosquitoes etc if outside, and no people around), then don't do it.  These "minor" things can become a big deal very fast and can spiral into a negative a trip.

Edited by Real Eyes

Don't you ever get stuck in the sky...when you're high. - Serj Tankian :D

Don't get too caught up in whatever thoughts that come up. That can quite freak you out. On my second trip I completely underestimated the shrooms and they threw me into something I can only describe as a very crazy reality. I got stuck into it because it felt so real. It felt like it would last forever and I believed it. The key is to not identify with your thoughts, don't cling to them. Try to detach from them, just observe them and let them pass. Pretty much like when you're meditating.

Have fun :)

Edited by phoenix666

whatever arises, love that

Speaking from multiple experiences: Do more than 1gr!

3 gramms is actually a great first time dose. A single gramm wont even make you trip, and you are going to be disppointed, especially! if you are looking for a "spiritual" experience. There certainly is a minimum dose for the mushroom experience to happen.

Set and Setting should be clear, but other than that, there is no need to plan anything. Just lay on your bed/Couch and let the shrooms do their thing with you, be as passive as you can.

happy tripping! See you on the other side

Big thanks for all the advice guys!

Regarding dosage I might step it up to 1-1,5g, we'll see. Some sources (like tripsafe.org) even advices to start with 0,8g.

Hopefully I will trip this saturday, depending on how I feel. Not having a perfect day to trip the upcoming weekends unfortunately, but maybe doesn't need to be 100% perfect. This friday I'm having dinner for a birthday friend and will probably go to bed like 12.30pm, my normal bed time being 10.30pm. Not gonna drink so much wine.

However, I've got plans to see a couple of other close friends that I have not met for a long time for dinner around 6-7pm on the day of the trip. Anyway my plan was to take the shrooms like 1-2 hours before I've woken up so I'm not sleepy. This would be around 10am I think. Also makes it easier to do it on an empty stomach as opposed to not eating for 6 hours in the middle of the day.

What do you guys think about doing it without a sitter the first time? Is it unwise to do it alone even though its 'only' around 1g?

Cheers

Oh and also. I usually drink coffee in the morning and it makes me in a good mood, more alert and motivated. Does it make any difference whether I drink before shrooms? :)

8 hours ago, randomancer said:

What do you guys think about doing it without a sitter the first time? Is it unwise to do it alone even though its 'only' around 1g?

Cheers

It pretty much depends on your state of mind. Do you ever have anxiety or any kind of emotional disorder ? Does strong negative emotions affect you strongly? Do you know how to deal with them ?  

There are just base questions. If you are going for this trip with spiritual growth intentions set and ready to deal with whatever happens, then likely you don't need a sitter for the first time if taking only 1g to 2g - wouldn't recommend any more then 2g for the first time anyway. Its important to get the "feeling effect " of the mushroom before going for a high dose. No need to rush either to try a high dose, work your way up. 

What is that you are scared that might happen during a trip ? Well, The chances of your body dying is nearly zero, as long you don't interpret you are super man and decide you can fly, which is much rare to impossible to happen on a low dose. So what else? 

It's also important to see the mushroom as a wise teacher, that once in you, will show what is the best that you need to learn and grow, if you fully surrender to it. Which isn't much different then surrendering to the present moment. 

Set your intentions, but go with no expectation, whatever happens it's there to help you grow :)

And oh, what I always do: Shortly after taking it I start meditating. You may be able to meditate the whole time your triping and it may be the most joyful hours of your entire life :) yes, even on a small dose. 

Have an awesome trip :)

''Firmness in Love" 

@randomancer If you don't feel comfortable doing 1.5g, that's fine and I wouldn't force yourself to do more than you are comfortable with.

But with the amount of meditation you've done, your circumstances in life, and the preparation you're doing, I'd say it's very likely you're going to have a great time and have no problem with 1.5g. I'm not sure 1g will really do that much. 1.5g was my first dose, I wasn't tripping that hard, but man it was one of the most insightful experiences of my life. Check out my report, it might help you to decide:

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

Set & setting can make a nice difference when anticipating altered States. Little things can be fun and very novel and 'enhancing' while tripping through the rooms of a house for the evening or afternoon. Candles, tealights, incense, background music, pre-made smoothies or whatever treats you might go to as you are coming down. 

Sure, set an intent for your trip, but remember -  during your first trip you may be pretty amazed overall at the 'melty', 'morphy', 'warpiness' of most objects appearing in your experience.. don't be surprised if you spend a few hours just being surprised and amazed as your visual field goes for a shit, your body sensations start feeling like you're experiencing them for the first time, and now, rather than just monkey mind, you have flabberghasted monkey mind with technicolour, horizontal mushroom-cloud orgasms bursting euphorically out the back of your head. 

Oh yes, and a trip report would be great if you feel like sharing when you're all 'consensus reality' again lol.

Remember that you are pure feeling/awareness, don't cling to anything else, just be.

Given you are used to not being that, be sweet to yourself if your mind still doesn't act as you'd like to.

Be ready to admit  that despite your maturity, there's probably a little scared/sad kid within you, allow his feelings, allow that vulnerability. 

That's it, and try to be alone if you can.

Oh yeah and go for 2 grams minimum.

Hi again and thanks for all the replies. Here is a quick summary.

Yesterday was "the big day", stayed sober the day before which was midsummer, one of the biggest celebrations of the year in Sweden.

10.00: Woke up slightly nervous, but after like 15 mins my confidence and determination went up.
10:15 Had a banana and a small protein pudding (200g) and a cup of coffee. Cleaned up some stuff in the apartment, meditated for about 20 mins.
11:15 I chewed the 1g of shrooms which tasted surprisingly OK. Took a walk for about 20 mins in the forest. It had rained the whole night and the air was slightly damp still. Surrounded by leaf trees the air felt so fresh and I felt super aware. To be honest I wanted to stay in that place for the trip, but since I did not know how I would react I went back to my apartment.
11.35 quick shower followed by 30-40 mins of deliberate meditation.
12.15 around this time I was starting to get a little impatient if I had taken too little, but reassured myself that it could take up to 1,5 hours in some cases. Remaining seated the chair I was meditating in and did some kind of meditation with eyes opened, basically waiting for something to happen. 
12.30 I kind of gave up, starting to google on my phone about threshold dosages and come up time. At this point, however, I felt a slight high in my head. I guess I kind of felt something. I basically felt slightly more aware, a slight increase in sensitivity in my hands and possibly a small increase in mood. Hard to distinguish whether it was because of the shrooms / just increased awareness from meditating / just placebo.

A bit disappointed, I felt hungry and ate some stuff. Around 6pm I went to a family dinner, boy if they knew what I did earlier that day haha. I love my parents but they are a bit too narrow minded to be told about this. :D

Anyway, to conclude. Not gonna lie, I am a bit disappointed. I knew I took a small dose and most recommended starting a bit higher so I did not expect anything big. However I do not regret the dosage. I now have a feel for 1) the potency and 2) how I respond to it. The initial barrier I had to even do it is now down and I feel ready to try a higher dose, which probably would have brought me a bit more anxiousness if I did it the first time. Now holidays are coming up so next time I can trip is in 5-7 weeks. That time I will probably go for 2g.

Do you think I responded normally to the dosage of shrooms? Otherwise maybe the potency was not too good on the shrooms or I could be non-sensitive.

Take care

Edited by randomancer

powder the dried shrooms, soak in raw lemon juice for 15min, drink it

supposedly the lemon helps break down the compound so your stomach doesn't have to do as much

google "lemon tek" for details

and don't drink or eat anything for 8 hours beforehand

@randomancer

I think your having to many expectations on how your trip should be. Next time I would recommend taking a two gram dose on a completely empty stomach. Don't sit there in mental masturbation just take it and see what happens. 

I hear you about the fasting guys. My only concern about that is that I tend to get in a bad mood without food for a long time, and I don't want to start the trip in a downward spiral. But maybe the pros outweigh the cons of fasting anyway. I train pretty hard 6 times a week so I get hungry fairly quickly (inclueded that I am running on a caloric deficit atm). Could probably solve the fasting by just tripping in the morning though.

Do you recommend eat something during the trip or not? Heard you usually dont get hungry, but during normal conditions that long of fasting would definitely affect my mood :)