JimBo

Ego Dissolution & “I, AM”

11 posts in this topic

In 2018, completely sober and at random I had a full ego dissolution experience that was extremely temporary. The ego returned within about 30 seconds.

During that experience, the “I” completely disappeared. The illusion of James no longer existed. There were no thoughts and no subjective identity - just pure awareness, along with a direct realisation of non-duality and the absence of separateness.

Once the illusion of “I” disappeared, the illusion of separateness disappeared with it.

Having experienced this, something that has never quite made sense to me is the phrase “I am.”

To me, “I” and “am” feel like two completely different things.

“I” is the illusion of ego.
“AM” is the underlying pure awareness.

So when the “I” disappeared during that experience, what remained wasn’t “I am” - it was simply AM.

I’d genuinely love to hear other people’s thoughts on this. Preferably from people who have experienced their own ego dissolution firsthand, rather than simply repeating something they’ve read online or in a textbook.

I’m particularly interested in how the phrase “I am” makes sense from the perspective of someone who has actually experienced the disappearance of the “I.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JimBo said:

I’m particularly interested in how the phrase “I am” makes sense from the perspective of someone who has actually experienced the disappearance of the “I.”

Quoted / reinterpreted — "How does the phrase 'I AM make sense (assuming we know what sense means too)"

Another way to ask this is to say "My name is X, so how is your name Y",

.... Or yet, another way to ask this, is to say "What does Beingness imply"... Or yet another way to ask it is to say "Everything is one. So if everything is one, can you give me the answer?"

The question itself doesnt ask anything particuarly relevant (if directed to others, unironically, and not rhetorically), However... Its the rephrasing of it that leads you out of the simplicity of the initial question, cause your not bogged down w/ all this surface layer talk that sounds nice. Its all experientially driven, perspectival synopsi... questions that circulate in the body, mind, soul, self... dreaming a dream that youd have to otherwise prove is real, otherwise we are to ask each other to prove it too. Its asking alot. Or in another sense, its not asking anything at all. Consider that you also wouldnt solve a paradox by flagging down the paradox, Like thats just "Step 1" towards whatever function you ultimately want to represent.

Edited by kavaris

Non ci sarebbe lòta o dolaur sanza sé separato,  "There'd be no struggle or pain without the separate self" — Predilection to get us on andèda, a trip to the greater, u(oo)ch path, a finalé ... of a liberating sense and source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AM is just the bodily senses 


“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One day, with medicine, I became fractals. I was the sound around. I became experience. But I was still I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never thought about it like that, it's also just words.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy = being x meaning ²

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JimBo said:

I’m particularly interested in how the phrase “I am” makes sense from the perspective of someone who has actually experienced the disappearance of the “I.”

What kind of a word is “I”? To what does it refer?


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to laugh a lot having rediscover what it means to know "I Am", I think any 'I' is already defined, so there's basically no badge in discovering this. It is the same here and now.

 

Now I am much more inclined to how do I make sure I don't fool myself, ever more acknowledging, ever more be there to others.

Nice depiction:

 

alter-ego.jpg

(Ben Zank, resource: 2018)

Edited by Anonym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 


The World Is Illusion.

Only Brahman Is Real.

The World Is Brahman.                                                 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JimBo said:

In 2018, completely sober and at random I had a full ego dissolution experience that was extremely temporary. The ego returned within about 30 seconds.

During that experience, the “I” completely disappeared. The illusion of James no longer existed. There were no thoughts and no subjective identity - just pure awareness, along with a direct realisation of non-duality and the absence of separateness.

Once the illusion of “I” disappeared, the illusion of separateness disappeared with it.

Having experienced this, something that has never quite made sense to me is the phrase “I am.”

To me, “I” and “am” feel like two completely different things.

“I” is the illusion of ego.
“AM” is the underlying pure awareness.

So when the “I” disappeared during that experience, what remained wasn’t “I am” - it was simply AM.

I’d genuinely love to hear other people’s thoughts on this. Preferably from people who have experienced their own ego dissolution firsthand, rather than simply repeating something they’ve read online or in a textbook.

I’m particularly interested in how the phrase “I am” makes sense from the perspective of someone who has actually experienced the disappearance of the “I.”

 

I’ve had that experience of the total dissolution of the subject-object duality, let’s say, 200 times, mostly sober, to pick a number. I think I understand quite well how it works.

Let’s see: at a certain point, you empty your mind completely, and there is only "I am". the fact of a center that perceives an experience and knows that it exists. This "I am" is exactly the same in me, in you, or in any other reflective structure. It's just a structure. Two limits: subject and object. 

Then you focus on the subject, on the perceiving center. What is it? Is it someone? If you maintain that focus long enough, at a certain moment the subject-object duality collapses. Reality loses its boundaries, since "I" and "am" are two boundaries, and opens up.

It is total, and within that totality, its essence manifests: limitlessness. It is beyond thought. At first, it feels like your brain is going to fry, and tears stream down your face. A single second of this opening changes your life.

Afterward, the habitual structure returns. So, is the "I" an illusion? No; it is a real structure that reality assumes. it’s just that the substance of the "I" is the same as the substance of the "am." What changes is the structure; that structure is real, it exists. Because reality without structure is non existence. Always any structure is, no structure is "never". Doesn't happen. Then call the structure illusion is confusing. Better calling it "structure". 

Edited by Breakingthewall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now