Someone here

Why does pain exist?

89 posts in this topic

Albert Camus said that there is only one philosophical question that should be asked ..and that is "should we kill ourselves or not ?"

The guy was a nihilist (or existentialist)..and a pessimistic person. I don't share this view and disagree with him on that . But today I wanna discuss with you guys the most important philosophical question in my point of view ...and that is "why does pain exist ?".

That's it. To be honest..I don't give a shit about Truth..I only care about my happiness and well being ..and so if I'm God and I created this world ..and if I wasn't a fucking idiot I would not create pain at all . Some people say there is end to suffering but not to pain . They argue that pain is inevitable..while suffering is optional . I call that BS and cop-out.  We experience pain. And as Arthur Schopenhauer said "life is oscillating between boredom and pain ". Pleasure is so fleeting . The older you live you become more aware that the vast majority of life is ugly.. brute ..tough ..painful..etc.

So..why pain when a woman give birth to a child ? Why do we have to experience "hunger attacks " 3 times at least every fucking day to stop the continuing pain of hunger ? Why we get injured?  Why we experience tooth ache? Why hell is part of absolute infinity ? 

That's my question that i want to hear an answer to from enlightened folks here ..why isn't reality 100% pleasure?  This god (which is me ) is so stooooopid to create pain when his all-powerful ass is capable of creating endless heaven. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Posted (edited)

I don’t think one needs to be enlightened to answer this per se, it can kind of be intuitive . Anything but this explanation feels kinda human made to me, ofc all words are but still there is a difference. I’d say there is no reason for it, it’s just appearing and nothing can stop it from it. If there is a god that has a will and that can choose to not create pain, wouldn’t that god be limited? Because it’s a something with a will.  So it’s not all of reality, reality outside of it could appear as pain and nothing can stop it. I don’t think there is any why. And I’m not someone who glamorizes this I wish shit was limited too and some things shouldn’t exist imo ,  it’s the only sane way of feeling . 

Edited by Sugarcoat

It's a duality. You wouldn't be able to distinguish pleasure from pain otherwise.

Also, pain keeps you alive. It's a necessary emotion.

9 minutes ago, Someone here said:

why pain when a woman give birth to a child

I don't know. Maybe because the baby is too big to come out of that hole. Bet they feel pleasure from sex though.

12 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Why do we have to experience "hunger attacks " 3 times at least every fucking day to stop the continuing pain of hunger ?

Do you feel pleasure when eating? Try overeating.

14 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Why we get injured? 

Masochists exist.

15 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Why we experience tooth ache?

Do you feel pain when you trim your nails?

8 minutes ago, Sugarcoat said:

I don’t think one needs to be enlightened to answer this per se, it can kind of be intuitive . Anything but this explanation feels kinda human made to me, ofc all words are but still there is a difference. I’d say there is no reason for it, it’s just appearing and nothing can stop it from it. If there is a god that has a will and that can choose to not create pain, wouldn’t that god be limited? Because it’s a something with a will.  So it’s not all of reality, reality outside of it could appear as pain and nothing can stop it. I don’t think there is any why. And I’m not someone who glamorizes this I wish shit was limited too and some things shouldn’t exist imo ,  it’s the only sane way of feeling . 

Sure ..if reality is infinite it must include pain ..otherwise it would be limited.  But guess what ..If reality was infinite ..then it must be a possibility for there not being pain at all . That's the paradox of infinity . 

God is said to be all good and loving and Merciful in all religions and mystical traditions..how can that be when this motherfucker is watching what's happening in Palestine and doesn't do shit to stop it ? He actually the creator of it !.

-Osho

@ici stop kidding around. I'm asking sincerely and looking for something that clicks in my mind to understand this . Why the hell do MUST EXPERIENCE PAIN? 

"How we know pleasure without pain " is such a cliche.  If reality or god is endless then sure he can create a reality that is endless joy without a shred of pain.

-Osho

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Sure ..if reality is infinite it must include pain ..otherwise it would be limited.  But guess what ..If reality was infinite ..then it must be a possibility for there not being pain at all . That's the paradox of infinity . 

God is said to be all good and loving and Merciful in all religions and mystical traditions..how can that be when this motherfucker is watching what's happening in Palestine and doesn't do shit to stop it ? He actually the creator of it !.

It’s a paradox yea..  to answer that first part. I know just as little as u I’m no enlightened but it’s more intuitive 

hmm. I mean don’t some people say that the core of religions is non dual , I haven’t read the scriptures so I don’t know that. So maybe god isn’t how people think about it. 
and maybe the prophets on earth they are still human in a way so the message they spread about goodness will be humane and they stand by it but the ultimate god is maybe the non dual with no bias aka nothing at all. I don’t know just a bit of speculation now 

Edited by Sugarcoat

8 minutes ago, Sugarcoat said:

It’s a paradox yea..  to answer that first part. I know just as little as u I’m no enlightened but it’s more intuitive 

hmm. I mean don’t some people say that the core of religions is non dual , I haven’t read the scriptures so I don’t know that. So maybe god isn’t how people think about it. 
and maybe the prophets on earth they are still human in a way so the message they spread about goodness will be humane and they stand by it but the ultimate god is maybe the non dual with no bias aka nothing at all. I don’t know just a bit of speculation now 

Look..God =infinity.  Hopefully we agree on that . Now what are the ramifications of infinity ? Two contradictory outcomes ..:

1- there must be pain as a possibility..otherwise infinity would be finite. 

2-there must be no pain whatsoever as a possibility..otherwise infinity would be finite .

A paradox. A huge contradiction that touches the whole notion of infinity and put it under question. 

How reconcile this paradox? 

-Osho

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Look..God =infinity.  Hopefully we agree on that . Now what are the ramifications of infinity ? Two contradictory outcomes ..:

1- there must be pain as a possibility..otherwise infinity would be finite. 

2-there must be no pain whatsoever as a possibility..otherwise infinity would be finite .

A paradox. A huge contradiction that touches the whole notion of infinity and put it under question. 

How reconcile this paradox? 

i guess we  could say it would be the same to say “if it’s infinity, then the possibility of nothing existing must be”

”and the possibility of everthing existing”

So if everything and nothing is the same then it’s “solved”. 

maybe

Edited by Sugarcoat

Posted (edited)

You have to understand something here. Life isn't personal. It's not about you, anyone or anything. There is no creation. That would mean a creator and something created. This is complete, wholeness, nothing separate, the Absolute. The Absolute is unfolding as we speak. It is ALIVE. It appears as everything. What's happening is what's happening. What happened yesterday, is what's appearing as we speak as a memory of what happened yesterday. Yesterday only happens as a memory. There is no past, no future, no space, no time, no here, no there. It all just appears to be that. 

So, pain is also the Absolute appearing as pain. It can appear as ANYTHING. Even as these words. Even as your post, even as war. It needs no reason to appear as anything because it is also that apparent reason. You can call it God if you like. Makes no difference. It's all there is. There's no you. There's no you feeling pain. Only appears to be. The Absolute can appear as a you that feels pain but it's actually the energy of pain that arises and the contracted energy that claims ownership of that pain (you), that believes it's in pain when it's just pain arising. 

There's no God that created pain and is now watching humans suffer because of that pain. God (the Absolute), is appearing as pain and you, who is an illusion, because there's just an empty body there thinks it's in pain. There's is just energy in motion and that energy can shape-shift and appear as anything. SPONTANEOUSLY. The dream is the INDIVIDUAL. The "I" thought that believes it's a somebody that is experiencing. What comes with that is the belief that everything else is real and now you have a life and everything is happening to you and you are the center of the Universe. That's the dream. It never happened. It just seems to happen. 

Please don't think I'm saying this to appear as if I don't feel pain and that I don't feel separate and that I'm just parroting anything. Yes, I've heard this from Jim Newman, but his words resonated with something within me and it responds to his message very deeply and I can intuit all this (which is also just apparent because there's no one to intuit anything ,only the Absolute appearing as intuition), and it is from that place where this message is coming from, not Princess Arabia because there is no Princess Arabia. Only an apparent message that's appearing on a screen.

Edited by Princess Arabia

One Love....

Posted (edited)

Pain is the whip of the cosmic father and mother (nature). A good parent doesn't just give everything to their kid. It will make them spoiled. Try being thankful for the existential pain instead of scorning god for it and you will be surprised what will happen.

38 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

You have to understand something here. Life isn't personal. It's not about you, anyone or anything.

At least give me credit. You copied this from my thread. 😂

Edited by StarStruck

55 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

At least give me credit. You copied this from my thread.

"Life isn't about you" - The Legendary Starstruck.

Hope when you come here bitching and whining about something, I can use your legendary trademark quote on you. Don't take that personal.😜

One Love....

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

But today I wanna discuss with you guys the most important philosophical question in my point of view ...and that is "why does pain exist ?".

To keep you alive in a relative egoic sense. Pain can give us an indication of what is going wrong in our lives and what we need to focus on. Whether we go about in a healthy or unsustainable way is on you and which one a person chooses can have a bunch of different factors involved. 

.why isn't reality 100% pleasure?  This god (which is me ) is so stooooopid to create pain when his all-powerful ass is capable of creating endless heaven. 

God created pain because god doesn't have an agenda. God is not limitted by survival because by definition god is infinite. God created all of this because God / Consciousness wants to experience everything even if in the relative egoic it conflicts with what it identifies with. In the ultimate level, God wants to experience everything from the stomach ache you had last week to someone's traumatic child birthing experience. God wants to experience what it's like being the oppressed and the oppressor which is why both are created and both are given Consciousness. Because in the absolute sense it's all love even if some forms of love are more crude than the others. The point of life is to be experienced and God is experiencing it all, the greatest pleasure and the greatest pain, because God/ Consciousness is part of everything. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

"How we know pleasure without pain " is such a cliche.

It's a cliché 'cause it's true.

If reality or god is endless then sure he can create a reality that is endless joy without a shred of pain.

Endless joy without the contrast of pain would be endless monotony.

Ever noticed how every amazing thing in your life just becomes "meh" once you get used to it? Well, that's how reality works. The quality of any experience is always relative to the quality of other experiences; nothing is ever absolutely good ot bad.

Take your own life as an example. Compared to the life of a starving slave working himself to death in a coal mine and getting whipped 24/7, your cushy life is pure heaven on earth; and yet to you, it seems normal, mediocre, boring, nothing special, perhaps even dull and depressing, because you're used to it. You take your ability to walk, talk, see and hear for granted, and yet someone whose legs are paralyzed, who is mute, who is blind and/or deaf would cry tears of joy if he or she had the opportunity to spend a single day inside your skin. See how it is all relative?

There is no joy without pain, no white without black, no up without down. No contrast = no experience. It's as simple as that.

Posted (edited)

Sadhguru answered this if you didnt have pain you would cut your stomach open and swing your intestines around. Imagine a Kid that cannot feel pain. Everyone of them would be dead. Infinitely curious with very little self Identity running around with sharp objects.

It would be like you are dreaming and are very curious about everything including your own body and you would mutilate yourself to see whats inside. Its natures way of protecting itself from itself.

Edited by Hojo

It's so simple: without pain you'd be dead.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I am experiencing intense pain non-stop every second for more than one month. I got fibromyalgia. Nothing helps, no medicine stops the pain. Because the pain does not have underlying condition. My body is healthy, but pain signals come non-stop, as if I am getting stabbed, my bones are getting crushed. I am in agony. And I am asking the God, why? Why did you do this to me? I was going to psychoanalysis for almost 5 years to heal myself. Why did not you let me to go on with psychoanalysis and get my nerve system healed. If I got healed Then I would never get fibromyalgia.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's so simple: without pain you'd be dead.

Is there not only life and not death?

There is this video on Leo's blog about two young girls that where born without feeling pain and it makes them so disfunctional.

They literally try to scratch their eyes out with their fingers or just put hand in boiling water because why not?

Thats how important pain is. Appreciate it.

It is literally necessary to maintain physical form.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, Buba said:

I am experiencing intense pain non-stop every second for more than one month. I got fibromyalgia. Nothing helps, no medicine stops the pain. Because the pain does not have underlying condition. My body is healthy, but pain signals come non-stop, as if I am getting stabbed, my bones are getting crushed. I am in agony. And I am asking the God, why? Why did you do this to me? I was going to psychoanalysis for almost 5 years to heal myself. Why did not you let me to go on with psychoanalysis and get my nerve system healed. If I got healed Then I would never get fibromyalgia.

If you're not on any serious medication or blood thinners, try using Black Seed Oil. It's amazing stuff. Get good quality, though. I have a pic of the one i take in the Healthy Food Mega Thread. It may help with your pain. Google and research for details. I swear by it personally, and have seen results compared to when I don't. Results as in, lots more energy, and immunity. I'm not sick or anything but it doesn't mean one can't take just as a precaution or for preventative reasons. It helps with just about everything under the sun. Use caution and consult your physician if you're concerned about using it.

Edited by Princess Arabia

One Love....

Posted (edited)

Check out Allan Watt’s talk about god dreaming lives of 75 years of endless bliss. The dreams become boring and he starts to dream of pain or random unexpected stuff and eventually dreams the life you are living now.

imagine your utopia. If the sun was always up you would not appreciate it without night. If you were always high you would take it for granted. Imagine a great eternal pleasure and then just boredom or more mild pleasure. You would recalibrate boredom or mild pleasure to be your new “pain.”

Just be. Accept the now. Surrender. :)

Edited by Soul Flight