Twega

Content Creator | Reality, Economics, and How To Make It Work

16 posts in this topic

If you know that your life purpose is to be a communicator, you know that your gift is doing deep research/learning and communicating/articulating. Your value is sharing knowledge/insight. Then, the most lucrative place (in terms of reaching the most people and monetizing) is YouTube. I'm a seasoned hardcore YouTube user, but I don't understand the reality of making a living off YouTube, except for the obvious stuff like how monetization works, YouTube's partner program, etc.

I recently bought a book titled: 'The Youtube Formula: How Anyone Can Unlock the Algorithm to Drive Views, Build an Audience, and Grow Revenue' by Derral Eves. Although the book is useful in explaining how the algorithm works, its history, etc. I found it so cliche; the author is a friend and business partner of MrBeast, and he simps on and on about him like he is someone worth emulating. If anything, it just disappointed me that I must reach MrBeast's brain-dead level of attention-seeking content to make it (I don't believe that).

I also have no video editing skills or know how to record a video. I am at the newbie stage. I have good speaking skills and I already have a lot of topics I've researched and am ready to share my insight on. I know this process of making it on youtube will take literally years.. But I was hoping if anyone could share their thoughts, tips and tricks with me to help this process be smoother.

Posted (edited)

Learning video editing and recording skills is quite easy. There are online courses for all major video editing software. I use VEGAS editing software. It's easy to learn.

Recording is easy to learn too. Just buy a Sony camcorder and start recording yourself speaking. You will learn as you go and make refinements.

Getting big on YT is hard. You have to be very persistent and offer something fresh and new and high quality. You have to publish content very consistently, like a full time job.

There are many ways to make money from YT. If your content is mainstream and gets millions of views then you can survive off ad revenue alone. If your content is more niche like mine, then you can still make good money by offering courses or products on your website.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think, a good plan is, making lots of videos and releasing them on your channel, then make good (1min) clips of each video and release them on reels, shorts and tiktok, while putting a link for yt channel. This will drive traffic to your channel which already has lots of videos for people to watch.

Find a niche and a defined content creator

Post regularly

Share vids across platforms and media to get more views

Strike up collabs with bigger creators and add positive value to them, but don't use them.

As one gets bigger, build a community, and engage with them regularly. 

Posted (edited)

On 4/9/2024 at 9:26 PM, Leo Gura said:

Learning video editing and recording skills is quite easy. There are online courses for all major video editing software. I use VEGAS editing software. It's easy to learn.

Recording is easy to learn too. Just buy a Sony camcorder and start recording yourself speaking. You will learn as you go and make refinements.

Getting big on YT is hard. You have to be very persistent and offer something fresh and new and high quality. You have to publish content very consistently, like a full time job.

There are many ways to make money from YT. If your content is mainstream and gets millions of views then you can survive off ad revenue alone. If your content is more niche like mine, then you can still make good money by offering courses or products on your website.

@Leo Gura

Thanks for the lips, Leo.

I have a few more questions. If you already have a job/need a job to sustain yourself: How will this realistically be achieved? I work in business consulting and my hours are already stretched thin as is. To live my LP I need to somehow make it online, but if you're saying I need treat it like a fulltime job to maybe even make it..... This feels like a double whammy.

• What constitutes consistent uploading?
  • What do you mean by high quality? The content itself, or do you mean editing/video quality
  • I have this camera, is it good?

I truly believe I have fresh and high-quality research/thoughts. But I have to say its not purely original. I synthesize from several domains/people, but the originality of what I offer is how I synthesize/integrate it into one idea/video/topic, etc.

Edited by Twega

16 hours ago, Twega said:

@Leo Gura

I have a few more questions. If you already have a job/need a job to sustain yourself: How will this realistically be achieved? I work in business consulting and my hours are already stretched thin as is. To live my LP I need to somehow make it online, but if you're saying I need treat it like a fulltime job to maybe even make it..... This feels like a double whammy.

Work extra on nights and weekends while cutting back on your effort at the day job.

Or save up enough money to quit your day job.

Or find another job that is less demanding so you have more time for your side hustle.

What constitutes consistent uploading?

Depends on your niche and depth of video.

At least once a week is good, but maybe you need to upload even more if it's short videos.

• What do you mean by high quality? The content itself, or do you mean editing/video quality

The content.

Your link is broken for me.

I truly believe I have fresh and high-quality research/thoughts. But I have to say its not purely original. I synthesize from several domains/people, but the originality of what I offer is how I synthesize/integrate it into one idea/video/topic, etc.

Well, you'd have to try it out and see if people find it valuable enough to follow.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 09/04/2024 at 7:50 AM, Twega said:

I found it so cliche; the author is a friend and business partner of MrBeast, and he simps on and on about him like he is someone worth emulating. If anything, it just disappointed me that I must reach MrBeast's brain-dead level of attention-seeking content to make it (I don't believe that).

I would argue, despite what others on this forum say, that Mr Beast is a good example of how to do YouTube right. He started in his mom's house with no experience or talent, got better little by little and never gave up. 

You may not like his content but his formula for success is undeniable. If your material is 10x more conscious but you are 10x less successful you would still be doing very well. 

Any testimony of Mr Beast being brain dead is just speculation and most likely from haters being jelous. I showed some people Jiro Dreams of Sushi and they said "he was a robot who was obsessed with work". Everything is perspective. 

This is a great topic, I am glad you have brought it up.

I am committed to creating a Successful YouTube Channel.

Here is some points from my big picture plan over the next 5-10 years.

1. Authenticity is the core. My Theory that I am testing video by video, is that if I create something unique that connects people with themselves by showcasing what authentic path is/can be that will be remarkable enough for the right people to share, like, comment and come back to see again and again.

2. Skill Building/Creativity. I want to build a catalog of 100’s of remarkable, valuable, cinematic, authentic videos. I am developing my cinematography, editing and storytelling skills to work towards that result. For now, I am a beginner, with 76 videos uploaded, of which, only the most recent 25 or so have been with that result in mind. over the next 200 Videos, I will continue to grow in quality through practice, mistakes, research, study, and more practice.

3. Utilizing my strengths: There are a few things that I am really good at that I enjoy, that I will rely on to create unique and remarkable videos. for one, I am a skilled Music Producer/Songwriter, Can articulate myself quite clearly, love using metaphors, and communicating clearly. I also have an eye for Cinematography and beautiful shots.

4. Personal Development: I want to grow as my videos and audience grow, I want my videos to become deeper and more profound as I get more skilled, because I am understanding myself deeper and deeper.

5. YouTube Know-How: I am seeing that it is also going to be important to "play the game," of Thumbnails and titles, SEO etc.. Because for my work to stand out it needs to be remarkable from the very beginning. MY goal is to balance this with authenticity and wisdom, never being click-baity or false.

I imagine there are a ton more things for me to learn, and I will on my path. Hope this helps :)

If you want to check out what I am doing here is my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A 

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

Just start doing very simple minimal effort videos. You have 0 reference experience and don't even know if you will like it.

Well edited videos by themselves, not even taking in consideration the content, preparation or research, take 5x more editing time than you think, and significantly more if you have to still learn the software 

Definitely go for DaVinci resolve if you're starting from scratch and don't have previous skills. Its free and it's used even by cinema editors

quality vids by todays standards may be over 100 hours of editing 

Unless you like the medium of digital video creating, you will be miserable . You can try public speaking, building info products, find a coaching nieche, be a writer, do seminars,  organize events... Etc

What I noticed is that I need to space out video editing throughout the week. It's the difference between driving 12 hours straight and driving 30 min every few hours

Start talking to the cámara and see if you enjoy it . You can do with or without notes

I thought Id love creating content but editing long hours makes me miserable as I prefer dealing with people, in real time , in group scenarios

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, enchanted said:

I would argue, despite what others on this forum say, that Mr Beast is a good example of how to do YouTube right. He started in his mom's house with no experience or talent, got better little by little and never gave up. 

You may not like his content but his formula for success is undeniable. If your material is 10x more conscious but you are 10x less successful you would still be doing very well. 

Any testimony of Mr Beast being brain dead is just speculation and most likely from haters being jelous. I showed some people Jiro Dreams of Sushi and they said "he was a robot who was obsessed with work". Everything is perspective. 

@enchanted I agree, MrBeast's business model works. It is undeniable. He is the biggest YT channel. But it is so unattractive and antithetical to what I want. Maybe I can learn from him a few things, but to actually live my LP, I need to find a way to succeed without MrBeast's business model.

Success in spite of not being like MrBeast, not because of it, is the goal. But like I said, we can always learn a few things. I also acknowledge he works hard on his video. I'm not denying his work ethic; I just don't like the shallow material, jumpy, frantic editing, attention-seeking methods, etc.

MrBeast's strategy is to create content that is designed to get views. Attention is the end-goal, content is the method. I fundementally disagree with that. However, I still want views. But there's distinction between that approach and mine, and even Leo's im sure.

Edited by Twega

6 hours ago, mmKay said:

Just start doing very simple minimal effort videos. You have 0 reference experience and don't even know if you will like it.

Well edited videos by themselves, not even taking in consideration the content, preparation or research, take 5x more editing time than you think, and significantly more if you have to still learn the software 

Yea i'd second this. I recently started posting on Youtube. People don't understand how much time is required just for one video with basic editing. 

Everyone wants to be a Youtuber but I doubt many people want to consistently put in the work required. Makes me appreciate what Leo did even more.

It's why there are so many one-take iPhone YouTubers. And also why so many Youtubers barely post weekly. If you're researching, writing a rough script outline, setting up cameras, filming multiple takes, editing, and doing thumbnails all by yourself its one hell of a job. 

And then it's not even guaranteed that you'll reach that tipping point and go viral. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Posted (edited)

@Space  hey I need mod help that's off topic. Are you not allowed to send messages when you're member status is still newbie? @NoSelfSelf @Mu_ @Carl-Richard

Edited by JoshB

19 minutes ago, JoshB said:

@Space  hey I need mod help that's off topic. Are you not allowed to send messages when you're member status is still newbie? @NoSelfSelf @Mu_ @Carl-Richard

That's true.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, enchanted said:

Mrbeast runs a team of over 200 people to do his videos, its not adecuate to compare that with an one man YT bizz

Also leo specifically does one take videos to avoid spending long time on editing 

Edited by mmKay

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

On 4/12/2024 at 7:20 AM, Realms of Wonder said:

This is a great topic, I am glad you have brought it up.

I am committed to creating a Successful YouTube Channel.

Here is some points from my big picture plan over the next 5-10 years.

1. Authenticity is the core. My Theory that I am testing video by video, is that if I create something unique that connects people with themselves by showcasing what authentic path is/can be that will be remarkable enough for the right people to share, like, comment and come back to see again and again.

2. Skill Building/Creativity. I want to build a catalog of 100’s of remarkable, valuable, cinematic, authentic videos. I am developing my cinematography, editing and storytelling skills to work towards that result. For now, I am a beginner, with 76 videos uploaded, of which, only the most recent 25 or so have been with that result in mind. over the next 200 Videos, I will continue to grow in quality through practice, mistakes, research, study, and more practice.

3. Utilizing my strengths: There are a few things that I am really good at that I enjoy, that I will rely on to create unique and remarkable videos. for one, I am a skilled Music Producer/Songwriter, Can articulate myself quite clearly, love using metaphors, and communicating clearly. I also have an eye for Cinematography and beautiful shots.

4. Personal Development: I want to grow as my videos and audience grow, I want my videos to become deeper and more profound as I get more skilled, because I am understanding myself deeper and deeper.

5. YouTube Know-How: I am seeing that it is also going to be important to "play the game," of Thumbnails and titles, SEO etc.. Because for my work to stand out it needs to be remarkable from the very beginning. MY goal is to balance this with authenticity and wisdom, never being click-baity or false.

I imagine there are a ton more things for me to learn, and I will on my path. Hope this helps :)

If you want to check out what I am doing here is my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A 

Thanks!

Getting as big as Mr Beast is as much luck as it is hard work. Arguably, mostly luck.