BojackHorseman

Why buy books instread of e-books?

21 posts in this topic

At a certain point, just a few books by month, the tablet (considering this rather than an e-reader) and e-books become more (or same) sustainable as their paper counterpart.
A tablet vs books give a less cluttered space.

Buying books can become addictive. Shiny objects.

In a tablet you can change the way the book displays if you want, and take note easily.

You can't damage an ebook.

The only con I can think of for tablets is that it might not be a good thing for your eyes? But I couldn't find any certain source about the fact that it can permanently damage them.

Also, blue light and its impact on sleep, but then just stop reading one or two hour before bed and it should be ok?

That being said...I'm actually trying to convince myself. Because I like traditional books. But I also know it's not rational to keep my huge libraries and not just sell everything to make some money and get everything in one convenient little thing.

The smell of physical books is quite appealing to me 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

It is e-books over physical ones, all day every day.

12 hours ago, enchanted said:

"absorbing better from books than ebooks"
I've been looking at studies but nothing seems to point to how much better you do absorb. If it's like 5%, who cares. But hard to say how much it does impact.

"there's a physical experience from paper books that you don't get with a screen device (...) so much going on with a phone/tablet"

Ok but what if I have no problem focusing on reading when I want to?

Also, we all a phone close to us at all times. If you can be distracted, you will be distracted.

As for the feeling of paper, I do like it too. But is that because we grew with it? Does a kid that reads on screens even cares about the paper? Aren't we just suffering from nostalgia and not being objective?

"Physical library at home is tied to better education for kids"

Well, for one, you do need to want kids for this to work
But also, if I ever have kids, and even if I don't, I'll keep a library with my top books or something.

As for having ideas when you pass by your library...never really occurred to me. I just think "oh, I want to read this", but this also works on digital by browsing my goodreads library or something.

I might sound like I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I do think Ebooks seem to have the advantage over paper books.

Maybe the answer just lies somewhere in the middle.
As I was saying earlier, I can very well read ebooks, then if I love a book, buy the paper version so I can give money to the author, and have what I like the most on display at home. Maybe something like 80% ebooks, 20 % books, or something.

Posted (edited)

On 4/8/2024 at 6:13 PM, BojackHorseman said:

Also, blue light and its impact on sleep, but then just stop reading one or two hour before bed and it should be ok?

You can get a Kindle if you’re concerned about that.

Or listen to an audiobook with your eyes closed in the dark.

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

3 hours ago, BojackHorseman said:

"absorbing better from books than ebooks"
I've been looking at studies but nothing seems to point to how much better you do absorb. If it's like 5%, who cares. But hard to say how much it does impact.

"there's a physical experience from paper books that you don't get with a screen device (...) so much going on with a phone/tablet"

Ok but what if I have no problem focusing on reading when I want to?

Also, we all a phone close to us at all times. If you can be distracted, you will be distracted.

As for the feeling of paper, I do like it too. But is that because we grew with it? Does a kid that reads on screens even cares about the paper? Aren't we just suffering from nostalgia and not being objective?

"Physical library at home is tied to better education for kids"

Well, for one, you do need to want kids for this to work
But also, if I ever have kids, and even if I don't, I'll keep a library with my top books or something.

As for having ideas when you pass by your library...never really occurred to me. I just think "oh, I want to read this", but this also works on digital by browsing my goodreads library or something.

I might sound like I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I do think Ebooks seem to have the advantage over paper books.

Maybe the answer just lies somewhere in the middle.
As I was saying earlier, I can very well read ebooks, then if I love a book, buy the paper version so I can give money to the author, and have what I like the most on display at home. Maybe something like 80% ebooks, 20 % books, or something.

Good points. Also ebooks are better for the environment.

Posted (edited)

I tried kindle. I do use it sometimes it I much prefer physical books. 

Ideally I’d have the money to buy:

1. Physical

2. Kindle

3 Audiobook 

Of each book I buy

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I'm discussing cold facts, but the answer really is only what actually works for each individual in the end ^_^

And the more I talk about it, the more I think doing a bit of each, paper and ebooks, might be the better way, I should really stop being so extreme and think that I have to tend to what the absolute best is supposed to be. But that was an interesting exercise to think about it/

Posted (edited)

Physical books take up so much space, just the thought of cleaning dust in a library full of books gives me a headache.

I have about 12 physical books that I obtained throughout life in various ways (mostly through secondhand stores), which are poetry and classics that are hard to find in e-book versions.

I have a Kindle, which is so comfortable because it's lightweight, tiny, and can store thousands of books. I love carrying it in my bag and taking it with me wherever I go.

I usually read a few books at a time.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

I personally prefer the experience of physically flipping through pages and making my way from cover to cover. And the ensuing library shelf has its own benefits. Also better sleep hygiene.

Switching to digital is a bigger investment in the short-term. Personally, I don't read a lot, so it is simpler for me to just buy the book.

Books are way cooler and girls love to see that you have a nice library at home.

8c52a8795ac21fd797013b4050dd9982.jpg

Posted (edited)

Great books I prefer to read physical. Makes the experience more real and grounded for me.

If I'm serious about studying a book, physical wins.

Edited by UnbornTao

Studies found people retain more information when reading physical books rather than digital books

I do have too many books right now! 1-200 or something

◭"89"

2 hours ago, Thought Art said:

I do have too many books right now! 1-200 or something

Physical?

@UnbornTao yeah I don’t even really have room for them. I will one day have a larger space though. 

◭"89"

Your bookshelf is art! A kindle on an empty shelf is booooring.

Sailing on the ceiling 

@Rigel Having a kindle version can be great. If you are travelling or are planning on spending many hours in a cafe reading it may be better than a whole bunch of Large books. 

I do use my remarkable a lot to write. And one note as part of my commonplace book system. 

◭"89"

@Thought Art That’s cool. I bought a kindle many years ago. Ended up reading 10-ish books on it and never touched it again. I wish I had money to buy paper and audio of every book though.

Kindle is clearly more practical. You can not only take it everywhere easy but you can also export highlights and such which is annoying to do on paper.

But damn is it ugly lol. I just like looking at pretty things. There’s just something about a bookshelf’s aesthetic that’s appealing to me. I want to read those books way more.

Sailing on the ceiling