Arthogaan

What is the root cause of distraction? Why can't we just be?

48 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

As a human you learn to perceive in a linear way because it is necessary. You perceive yourself as a timeline with a route and a projection, and you see everything this way, this allows you to do things like cities, planes, literature, etc. The problem is that being trapped there is unreal and generates anxious energy. The solution is to understand what this type of perception is, its usefulness, and be able to deactivate it.

The key is to be able to deactivate the meaning at will, then the timeline disappears, since its substance is the meaning. Once you know how to do it, you do it in seconds, but it can take years or a lifetime to learn how to do it. When you deactivate meaning, you sink into the present, perception changes from linear to profound. It is preferable to live most of the time in this mode, since it is the real one. the other is also real in its own way but you get lost in the meaning which creates constant and compulsive threads of thought.

The deep mode is the beginning of open perception, the openness to the life that we are, total plenitude. All of us who are here are looking for this, and it is not that difficult but it requires understanding and not falling into traps.

cleanest pointer i have seen, thanks ... acim calls this a holy instant of going from the dream world to the real world ... key is not to be entangled in distraction, reaction, temptation ... eminently attainable

8 minutes ago, gettoefl said:
8 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

cleanest pointer i have seen, thanks ... acim calls this a holy instant of going from the dream world to the real world ... key is not to be entangled in distraction, reaction, temptation ... eminently attainable

thanks for appreciating it. Yes, it is completely possible but first we must understand the dynamics of the mind, how our programming drags us. This understanding is not a mental, verbal, defined understanding, it is the understanding that occurs when you see something, for example a children's puzzle and you understand how the pieces fit together, that is why psychedelics are extremely useful, even a little weed can be a great breakthrough in someone accustomed to introspection and meditation

Posted (edited)

On 9.3.2024 at 1:27 PM, Arthogaan said:

I started to go really deeply into observing whenever my conditioning wants to pull me out of just pure being.

After some days of digging I got to some really early childhood memories.

So as I understand it now it's just our brain programmed for survival.

1) distraction for physiological needs - that one is obvious, obviously my brain/ego pulls me to think about water, food, sex, to pee to poop, to avoid pain. But when those are taken care of there is more subtle distraction:

2) distraction for information - huge part of our daily life, checking the phone, maybe I should watch a movie? Maybe I should watch some youtube video while I'm eating my snack. It's weird because even if the moment is perfect there is still that part of the brain that wants to check the phone - is it just conditioning for always gaining more information? But it doesn't fully make sense to me, why would I watch some drama on netflix, that does not provide me with survival information? How is our desire for drama connected to survival? @Leo Gura

3) okay now if both 1) and 2) needs are fully silenced. Then there is also this deep subtle need to just do something. I got really deep into my inner child, before it had any societal conditioning, any idea of boredom and drama, just perfectly sitting there - there is this pull to just grab something, to make a mess, to explore to create - todlers do not sit still they do everything. It seems really natural. And beautifull. BUT IS IT JUST ANOTHER DEEP LAYER OF SURVIVAL? This natural will to move, to change shit to make a mess, is it just a way for our brain/ego to adapt to it's environments. Or is it some metaphysical feature of reality?

IS Reality fully okay with just being and standing still? It doesn't seem to be still, there's so much movement and life - so is meditation and being fully still and at peace for the whole day - is it going even beyond the conditioning of reality? The deepest conditioning? Merging into the ineffable unmanifested unchanging whole Absolute?

This seems fundamental, help me out guys haha. @Water by the River @Bazooka Jesus @Osaid @Breakingthewall @James123 @Inliytened1

Blaise Pascal — 'All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.'

In my opinion, survival is only a part of the distraction mechanism (especially nowadays), and by far not the biggest. Mayas smile, and the need for keeping the Illusion/Lila-"spinning" and always active, explains it much better...

In the perspective of yours truly, a much bigger part comes for the "need" for Lila-mechanisms/"projects" of the separate self (Ken Wilber called these Atman-projects, see the book of the same name. Making separate-self/ego = God. Wonder in which forum I have ever noticed that... 9_9), or keeping the separate-self illusions always spinning. Because if it would stop, and could sit blissfully in silence alone in a room (the Blaise Pascal quote above), the whole delusion would crumble down very fast in a short time.

So a nice test to sort through real (and wannabe) Realization would be something like this: Put them all in a room, shut the door, sit' em down, 5 days silence whole day & night, and see who complains, or looks bored, and who just smiles blissfully something like Colette Davis:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ-t2OZnesC/ 

https://www.instagram.com/thatbeyondduality/   ^_^

Feel the energy. No, she is not on drugs.

And why is there illusion/separation/Lika/divine comedy/play? For the aficionados of using the signifier God, with best regards from Maya herself:

Selling sitting quietly in peace & bliss alone at the River with the crocodiles & hoping they don't bite 

Edited by Water by the River

51 minutes ago, Water by the River said:

Blaise Pascal — 'All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.'

In my opinion, survival is only a part of the distraction mechanism (especially nowadays), and by far not the biggest. Mayas smile, and the need for keeping the Illusion/Lila-"spinning" and always active, explains it much better...

In the perspective of yours truly, a much bigger part comes for the "need" for Lila-mechanisms/"projects" of the separate self (Ken Wilber called these Atman-projects, see the book of the same name. Making separate-self/ego = God. Wonder in which forum I have ever noticed that... 9_9), or keeping the separate-self illusions always spinning. Because if it would stop, and could sit blissfully in silence alone in a room (the Blaise Pascal quote above), the whole delusion would crumble down very fast in a short time.

So a nice test to sort through real (and wannabe) Realization would be something like this: Put them all in a room, shut the door, sit' em down, 5 days silence whole day & night, and see who complains, or looks bored, and who just smiles blissfully something like Colette Davis:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ-t2OZnesC/ 

https://www.instagram.com/thatbeyondduality/   ^_^

Feel the energy. No, she is not on drugs.

And why is there illusion/separation/Lika/divine comedy/play? For the aficionados of using the signifier God, with best regards from Maya herself:

Selling sitting quietly in peace & bliss alone at the River with the crocodiles & hoping they don't bite 

Good Post, I researched Brown after a post You made, he was very informative I like his system and sharing:)

Sadhguru recommends this test, sitting at home alone, no tv, no internet, no anything, just sitting and seeing what the mind brings up, very hard exercise for today's ppls..most cannot do it!

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

49 minutes ago, Water by the River said:

This reminds me of when I did my first - and so far only - ten day Vipassana retreat five years ago in Spain (holy crap, it's been FIVE years?! Illusory time flies!)

When signing up for the retreat, I was kind of nervous about it... ten days of nothing but meditating, eating, sleeping and meditating again... no talking, no reading, no drugs (yikes!), no phone, no internet? That sounded like a real tough one; I was fully prepared to lose my mind (which is probably the whole purpose of doing a spiritual retreat) after three days tops. But lo and behold, on day three I found myself sitting on a bench outside of the meditation hall in between sessions, thinking "good God, this is by far the most relaxing holiday I ever had in my life." For once, I felt like I had full permission to sit on my ass all day and do NOTHING, and I enjoyed every minute of it!

Granted, if you would lock me into a room for ten days straight all by myself with absolutely no distraction whatsoever, Stefan Zweig Schachnovelle style, that might be a very different story. But that Vipassana retreat was so relaxing and enjoyable that I almost felt like I am doing it wrong, lol.

Don't know if that qualities me for aspiring Zen Master, but it was certainly a pleasant surprise. ;)

Why so serious?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Water by the River said:

In my opinion, survival is only a part of the distraction mechanism (especially nowadays), and by far not the biggest

Most of our mental processes are inherited. Tens of thousands of generations have been shaping our way of processing, all on genetic bases aimed at survival. No one cared if you were happy in the Middle Ages, as long as you didn't starve or be enslaved.

The entire rigid system of thought and emotion in which the individual is completely at the service of the tribe, the clan, the nation, has come to us diffused but still strong. It seems that the human being tends towards the liberation of suffering, which is a tool for the survival and evolution of the species, for the simple reason that it is no longer necessary, but the total dissolution of its mechanisms is not an easy job. Not impossible as you know, but let's see if some centuries of stability and science free the humans from the need of war, external and internal. 

Edited by Breakingthewall

1 hour ago, Water by the River said:

Heh, allow me to one-up that one:

Why so serious?

15 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Heh, allow me to one-up that one:

holy grails, hm?

and

Silva, Freddy. First Templar Nation: How Eleven Knights Created a New Country and a Refuge for the Grail

And apparently, God commands: Grail! n+1 even nowadays, although the application-method has been updated I have heard ^_^