Huegeleisen

How to sit down and do the work?

14 posts in this topic

In about 3 weeks I‘ll have one of the most important exams I ever had at school. If I started studying tomorrow or at least this week, I could still easily get an A or an A+ for it. I know exactly what I need to do and how to study.  Also after this exam, I won’t have school anymore, so I‘d only need to push for these last 3 weeks. 
The problem is: I literally can’t sit down and concentrate. For the last 2 months I‘ve been wasting my time with YouTube Shorts or normal YouTube videos after school every day.

After that I won’t ever have to study for an exam again while having school, so I‘ll have a lot of time for life purpose and self-actualization. 

How can I push one last time and finally get myself to sit down and do the work?

Seek a mentor

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

You can read the book 'Do the work' by Steven Pressfield.

Or go to YouTube and find summary of the book!

By seeing the benefit it will bring you to decide to sit down and do it.

If you don't see the benefit, you won't do it!

🕉️

You just need to sit down at a desk and do it, there's no special trick to it. Find a quiet space where you can study away from your PC or phone so that you can study free from any distraction. A local library or the library at your school would work. Dedicate a few hours each day as time where you are going to sit in that space with only your books/laptop and study, no Youtube or mindless scrolling allowed. Make sure you show up consistently everyday. After you've done studying enjoy the rest of the day however you like.

On 08/03/2024 at 10:05 AM, Yimpa said:

Seek a mentor

Do you think it's realistic for him to be able to find a mentor in the 3 weeks that he needs to be studying?

If he was able to find a mentor tomorrow how would that be helpful for his situation?

2 hours ago, Pav said:

Do you think it's realistic for him to be able to find a mentor in the 3 weeks that he needs to be studying?

If he was able to find a mentor tomorrow how would that be helpful for his situation?

You make a good point about the 3 weeks. However, learning is a lifelong skill, so seeking a mentor is a long-term investment into yourself.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

16 minutes ago, PenguinPablo said:

ADHD prescription

Always try behavioral changes first before resorting to medication. 

Posted (edited)

Everything is life has the price, and thus you can't cheat.

You will pay the price of your lazyness, on a way or an other. 

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Dr. K ADHD Course. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

Posted (edited)

On 07/03/2024 at 10:09 PM, Huegeleisen said:

The problem is: I literally can’t sit down and concentrate. For the last 2 months I‘ve been wasting my time with YouTube Shorts or normal YouTube videos after school every day.

Because you are treating your mind as a dumpster (forgive the language) , just dumping down shallow content and expecting it to work 100%. Its like being completely untrained and then attempting to squat 250 lbs or driving while being extremely intoxicated or climbing Everest in your socks and sandals. 

Your brain is unprepared to handle that because you haven't trained it to, you've trained it to have 15 second attention span and that is what you get in return. Don't worry most of us struggle with this but it can totally be reversed you just have to start taking your attention as a currency, something not to be squandered around for the benefit of shallow content creators. 

It may take you 2 years to reverse this, not 3 weeks so be prepared for it. 

Some practical steps for the long run 

1. Study Cal Newport's work 
  2. Actually start reading actual books - any books 
  3. Treat your body as a temple (solid nutrition, strong sleep routine , clean environment) 
  4. Start working out 
  5. Start a meditation habit 
  6. Uninstall all the apps you don't need and consider investing int some sort of app blocking software
  7. Invest some money into creating a focus zone in your house where phones and crap aren't allowed. This is where you'll be purging your mind to start focusing again 

That's just the beginning but if you can do some of them you'll start seeing major improvement in your ability to focus 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Stop whining and just do the work. It seems simple but difficult to implement. Another way is to set a target and commit to achieve it. For me, I set a target to clear my mortgage loan. 

8 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Because you are treating your mind as a dumpster (forgive the language) , just dumping down shallow content and expecting it to work 100%. Its like being completely untrained and then attempting to squat 250 lbs or driving while being extremely intoxicated or climbing Everest in your socks and sandals. 

Your brain is unprepared to handle that because you haven't trained it to, you've trained it to have 15 second attention span and that is what you get in return. Don't worry most of us struggle with this but it can totally be reversed you just have to start taking your attention as a currency, something not to be squandered around for the benefit of shallow content creators. 

It may take you 2 years to reverse this, not 3 weeks so be prepared for it. 

Some practical steps for the long run 

1. Study Cal Newport's work 
  2. Actually start reading actual books - any books 
  3. Treat your body as a temple (solid nutrition, strong sleep routine , clean environment) 
  4. Start working out 
  5. Start a meditation habit 
  6. Uninstall all the apps you don't need and consider investing int some sort of app blocking software
  7. Invest some money into creating a focus zone in your house where phones and crap aren't allowed. This is where you'll be purging your mind to start focusing again 

That's just the beginning but if you can do some of them you'll start seeing major improvement in your ability to focus 

good reminder this ^`