Juan

Why A LOT of People Support Violence?

18 posts in this topic

I’m talking about WWE, UFC, Boxing, etc. If people don’t want to see more violence in the world, why they support this content? Why people pay to see others get hurt? If you’ve seen some wrestler’s interviews, they deal with A LOT of concussions during their fights, breaking bones, if they have a family then it’s kind of an issue to share with their loved ones, etc. Is it necessary these kind of “sports” to exist? If so, why? 

Edited by Juan

Posted (edited)

I enjoy watching it. 

Athletes enjoy doing it.

They exist because people have different preferences, tastes, interests, and personality types. 

Your values are not more true or correct than anyone else’s. The first mistake is to think that way and then judge others.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I believe all of the sports you mentioned let's even include WWE to that, can become art to display high-level mastery , respect, class and obviously self-control. 

But sadly we only have what we have, soulless, fame-hunting, money-digging athletes, mostly.

so in a way, it is a learning progress for them too.

Personally, I watch some of the big fights to watch their growth,  their backstory and to observe what the market has.

I don't want a world with less violence.
All you can do is deny it and that will just amplify that energy.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Probably violence will become even more popular in the future when we have VR and better medicine and the consequences of it are greatly diminished. What do you have against it? Why does it shock you so much? 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

A connection I made in my worldview is the heavily politicized trans issue in America. Extreme conservatives advocate for blocking gender-affirming care to adolescents because they believe medical professionals and mentally ill parents are “violently” stripping away kids of their natural, innocent state. This worldview is obviously absurd from a more holistic perspective.

There are, of corse, improper ways of transitioning a child. However, also consider other ways we gaslight our kids. Such as the failure in our mainstream school system. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Your values are not more true or correct than anyone else’s. The first mistake is to think that way and then judge others.

I haven’t said they were more true than others. I haven’t judged anyone (by judging I mean calling it bad, horrible, etc.) I’m just questioning the status quo. 

I used to watch WWE as a kid and enjoyed, but now as an adult I don’t see really the point, looking at how bad these people physically and some mentally end up, so why people keep support it then? 

7 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Athletes enjoy doing it.

That’s what they said but doesn’t mean it’s true. If you can see through people then you can tell. I’m not saying I can read them all, but you can tell when someone is truly genuine, idk if is necessary to put yourself in danger for the sake of entertain others, and yes I’m calling out some magicians haha.

Edited by Juan

You can ask the same thing about football, and even more people are into that.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

5 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

You can ask the same thing about football, and even more people are into that.

I guess I have to do a deep psychedelic trip and question these stuff. xD

Professional wrestling is a strange breed.   I remember seeing a revealing documentary of a professional wrestler.  He talked about his childhood where the old man would fight the boys in the basement and you would hear screams of pain as they were being taught to fight.   They worshipped their father.  It sounds almost spiritual.   Professional wrestling is accused of fixed fights and being fake entertainment.   But the men who wrestle are still way tougher than the rest of us.  That part is real.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

There is a distinction between abject violence and sport. The former is all about pressing your advantages and making the fight as unfair as possible in order to win (fighting is an obstacle and not the goal), whereas sport is all about the competition in a fight that is made to be as fair as possible (the competition is the goal). Sport is full of rules and regulation that promote a "fair game" and spectacle, whereas abject violence has no rules and the violence is merely a means to an end. There is a world of difference there. Violent sport is very contained in comparison.

There is no greater competition than violence. That is why violent sports are popular. People love competition.

They are sports. People enjoy them. That’s why MMA exists. For many people it’s a beautiful thing. There are différents kinds of people. 

You say you aren’t judging, but, you are. Take time to contemplate the situation from different perspectives over the coming months and years and see what unfolds.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

2 hours ago, Thought Art said:

You say you aren’t judging, but, you are.

Nope, I’m not saying these sports are either bad nor good, I guess you have a different meaning for the word judging. I’m here just questioning again, the status quo. 

24 minutes ago, Juan said:

Nope, I’m not saying these sports are either bad nor good, I guess you have a different meaning for the word judging. I’m here just questioning again, the status quo. 

Test a testosterone cream and you will see. 

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

On 29/02/2024 at 10:01 PM, Juan said:

I’m talking about WWE, UFC, Boxing, etc. If people don’t want to see more violence in the world, why they support this content? Why people pay to see others get hurt? If you’ve seen some wrestler’s interviews, they deal with A LOT of concussions during their fights, breaking bones, if they have a family then it’s kind of an issue to share with their loved ones, etc. Is it necessary these kind of “sports” to exist? If so, why? 

they are enjoyable and are controlled violence. They choose to have loved ones. 

Posted (edited)

I can't speak on WWE as I don't care about it, but I like to watch UFC from time to time with my friends. You can look at it from a reductionist angel and see it as nothing but violence, or you can look at the underlying dance between yin and yang that is occurring during such fights.

In a way, combat sports are one of the most authentic forms of art. It's visceral, it's raw, it's immediate, it's emotional. These guys put years and years of training into perfecting their craft, their movements, their bodies and minds, in order to be able to deliver amazing performances. I can pretend in music, in that I can play a sad melody without feeling sad in the moment, but you can't pretend your way through the ring. You have to put your actual body on the line and put yourself through physical and emotional pain and hardship in order to come out a stronger fighter.

I think that providing a highly regulated environment in which you can fight all you want while having doctors, trainers and referees around to make sure that people don't die or seriously hurt themselves (people still hurt themselves, but preventive measures go a long way in avoiding unnecessary harm) is a positive thing. I'd rather see these guys in the ring than brawling on the streets. Their anger isn't going to magically disappear, so it's better to give them an outlet where they can express it under the supervision of trained professionals.

There is no inherent difference between two people playing a duet, and two people fighting inside the ring. These are just two ways in which creativity can be expressed.

Also, where did you get the idea that people want to see less violence? Mainstream culture is full of violence. There are songs, movies, video games, books which are all depicting violence in different ways, the news are constantly highlighting violence because it brings in more views, etc. This has nothing to do with combat sports. People generally have a morbid curiosity around death and suffering, as these are the things that make us feel the most. Seeing a character in your favorite TV show die will probably make you feel more than seeing them have a baby. This goes for most of human entertainment. If a movie depicted a person that had an easy life without any suffering, most people would find it boring, because it's not relatable.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

Because people want violence, chaos, excitement and their lives just fundamentally suck because they haven't found an inner solution to their violence. Just look at Putin. He likes inflicting mass murder and destroying the lives and futures of russians and especially Ukrainians for basically no reason other than that he thinks he can. Putin loves to emotionally torture Ukrainians by stealing their children and re-writing history and their culture. Putin likes when children's hospitals and schools get destroyed. Yes, we have such people. Putin also loves silencing his own people, making them weak and stupid and treating them like war pets just to take their money.

What a trash human being. Period.