erik8lrl

Obsidian + ChatGPT

21 posts in this topic

I've been using Obsidian for note-taking for 3 years, and it has been a great app for organizing and connecting ideas and thoughts. 

But recently, I found this plugin that allows you to connect ChatGPT with Obsidian and basically talk to your notes and find insights and connections. It does a great job of finding recurrent ideas/themes or generating new ideas across thousands of notes. 

https://github.com/brianpetro/obsidian-smart-connections
Just thought I'd share this. 

Thats really cool and useful

Very cool.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Could it be? My dream come true?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

3 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Is this possible with OneNote?

Not the exact same, but Copilot is on OneNote I think.  
The power of Obsidian is that you can connect different notes with tags and links, which allows ChatGPT to read and understand your note structure.  

1 minute ago, erik8lrl said:

Not the exact same, but Copilot is on OneNote I think.  
The power of Obsidian is that you can connect different notes with tags and links, which allows ChatGPT to read and understand your note structure.  

I find Obsidian too gimmicky. Sometimes there is beauty in simplicity. 

I structure my common placebook through page level. It goes only three level deep but it is still good. 

I also use hyperlinks but I don't think AI is that advanced to understand it all. 

It is amazing how fast AI develops though. I can have interesting conversations with it already. Most people seem boring compared to AI. 

20 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

I find Obsidian too gimmicky. Sometimes there is beauty in simplicity. 

I structure my common placebook through page level. It goes only three level deep but it is still good. 

I also use hyperlinks but I don't think AI is that advanced to understand it all. 

It is amazing how fast AI develops though. I can have interesting conversations with it already. Most people seem boring compared to AI. 

Try Copilot maybe, it should be similar but for OneNote. 
Obsidian is really simple if you want it to be, it's open-source so people have developed endless plugins for it to do whatever you want. There are also plugins for simplifying everything to be more minimalistic. Its power comes from the level of customizability you get. From a note-taking perspective, all you really need to know is linking, and tagging. This simple function allows for really good interconnection between notes over long periods of note-taking. I used to use OneNote too, but with Obsidian my note-taking process is fundamentally different. Obsidian incentivize making connections between notes, so even when you are writing new notes, you are thinking from the perspective of your whole knowledge vault to make connections with what you already have. It trains your brain for non-linear thinking and insights.  

For ChatGPT, if your notes are well linked and clear, then it can totally understand everything. It is for my case. 

Edited by erik8lrl

@erik8lrl interesting point about the non duality part. 

That is how I structure my one note too. If I want to look something up I can intuitively find it because I structured how my mind works. 

Might try Obsidian again but it will be a pain in the ass to make the transition. 

14 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

@erik8lrl interesting point about the non duality part. 

That is how I structure my one note too. If I want to look something up I can intuitively find it because I structured how my mind works. 

Might try Obsidian again but it will be a pain in the ass to make the transition. 

You can import OneNote into Obsidian pretty easily with this plugin:
https://help.obsidian.md/import/onenote

Edited by erik8lrl

Yes, give them your notes for free.

Glory to Israel

Notion also has an AI assistant baked in.

I'm not sure how it compares to chat GPT cause I don't use it much but it's there in case!

The other day I used it to count the words in a page lol I suppose it could do cooler stuff than this.

Sailing on the ceiling 

On 2/25/2024 at 4:47 AM, erik8lrl said:

But recently, I found this plugin that allows you to connect ChatGPT with Obsidian and basically talk to your notes and find insights and connections. It does a great job of finding recurrent ideas/themes or generating new ideas across thousands of notes. 

This reminds me of when you plug-in psychedelics, heh.

How many notes do you have?

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

2 hours ago, Yimpa said:

This reminds me of when you plug-in psychedelics, heh.

How many notes do you have?

Close to 800. Tho I’m not doing as much linking as possible, mainly very large notes  with tags. If I linked every concept there would be 10 times more notes. But it’s really time consuming to do that.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 033009.png

Edited by erik8lrl

3 hours ago, Scholar said:

Yes, give them your notes for free.

You can also run local open source LLMs instead of ChatGPT if you want.

@erik8lrl I'm interested, have you been using the plugin and what are your experiences using it?

@Snader Yes, it's really good! Good for finding common themes across your notes. The quality of the chatbot will be determined by the quality and number of notes you have. If you have a lot of notes and they are all tagged and organized, then the chatbot will be very good.