shree

How to quit sugar

80 posts in this topic

I struggle with a sugar addiction, often succumbing to it during stressful periods despite occasional breaks. I've noticed that regular exercise helps me be more mindful of my diet, but I'm stuck in this cycle.

Can you suggest a book, course, or technique that has helped you break free?

Lots of lemon water might help.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

If sugar is so bad, why do you use it intuitively to reduce stress?

What's the problem with sugar? it's just a very safe macronutrient.

Eventually replace refined sugar with more nutritious sources like fruit, black molasses, unrefined cane sugar, maple syrup etc. :P

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

If sugar is so bad, why do you use it intuitively to reduce stress?

Eventually replace refined sugar with more nutritious sources like fruit, black molasses, unrefined cane sugar, maple syrup etc. :P

Get out! Lol

5 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Get out! Lol

I won't let you spread misanthropic hake and bean eating propaganda.

Save your lemonade, op needs more sugar yogurt ;) :)

317351167_556527103150566_6221431499195271726_n.jpeg

@shree enjoyable physical exercise, facing your stress and bad emotions, being more present in the body, always having healthy food prepared in your fridge, fruit basket on the table, remove all sugary shit form your house, finding a more enjoyable and less stressful job, dettaching from toxic people.

Edited by Alexop

10 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

wtf dude.

3 hours ago, Alexop said:

wtf dude.

What is the problem ? 

Edited by Schizophonia

More or higher intensity exercise, eat only one meal a day, and plan and prep your meals for the entire week. If you drink sugar drinks, get a really nice water bottle, I like the glass ones. Meditation and Yoga as well, including breath work Yoga.

Edited by Devin

4 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

What is the problem ? 

Nevermind, i got you 

4 hours ago, Devin said:

More or higher intensity exercise, eat only one meal a day, and plan and prep your meals for the entire week. If you drink sugar drinks, get a really nice water bottle, I like the glass ones. Meditation and Yoga as well, including breath work Yoga.

Don't project your life when giving advice, OMAD does not fit everybody. 

Edited by Alexop

24 minutes ago, Alexop said:

Don't project your life when giving advice, OMAD does not fit everybody. 

Also sometimes I would be better by asking google for advice than here omg, you guys.

No shit, he asked what worked for us.

19 hours ago, shree said:

I think the first step is education. Depending on your level of interest in scientific research. I'd recommend Dr. Lustig's recent episdoe on the Huberman Lab, Dr Jason Fung's book "the obesity code."

As far as practical steps if you are struggling "going cold turkey" Prioritize getting carbs (and sugars) first and foremost from fruit and vegetables. The most egregious sources to cut first are sugary drinks (including fruit juice!) and ultra processed foods. 

If all you did was swap out the "crap" and replace it with lesss processed/whole foods you'd be taking a very important step. Lowering your insulin resistance/sugar addiction slowly over time is going to be much healthier than trying to go cold turkey. 

Helpful resource https://ecuphysicians.ecu.edu/wp-content/pv-uploads/sites/78/2021/07/NOVA-Classification-Reference-Sheet.pdf

If you're stuck in a cycle -- TRY SOMETHING NEW.

And not just a variation on the same old theme, but fundamentally new, like an activity you wouldn't normally consider (and if it makes you uncomfortable, good.)

To get unstuck you need neuroplasticity.  

20 hours ago, Alexop said:

Nevermind, i got you 

Lol.

Ben voyons :)

Recontextualize what sugar is.

I was craving a bucket of ice cream last night and instead opted for blueberries.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

It’s also fine to eat sugary foods once in a while. I just had a Blizzard from Dairy Queen. As long as you’re not eating it daily you’ll be fine. Enjoy it in moderation and don’t punish yourself for indulging. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

On 12/28/2023 at 11:01 PM, shree said:

I struggle with a sugar addiction, often succumbing to it during stressful periods despite occasional breaks. I've noticed that regular exercise helps me be more mindful of my diet, but I'm stuck in this cycle.

One thing that can reduce is buy honey and mix it with cocoa powder and some seeds or nuts. This much healthier if you are not diabetic.

16 hours ago, Yimpa said:

It’s also fine to eat sugary foods once in a while. I just had a Blizzard from Dairy Queen. As long as you’re not eating it daily you’ll be fine. Enjoy it in moderation and don’t punish yourself for indulging. 

The mind will trick you and explain away why one should murder someone much less why sugar is ok in moderation so we can eat that ice-cream in peace without feeling guilt. Just drink the god-damn blizzard without conjuring up why it's OK. The next piece of cake will have it's own set of excuses and the next cookie and the next Subway sandwich. Lol

Limit yourself to only a few fruits you are allowed to eat, high-fiber ones optimally. Or don't, limit your sugar intake to only fruits because as long as you're not a diabetic you don't have to restrain yourself too much. 

Some things including fruits are so sweet I don't need any discipline to resist them, like dates, everytime I see one of those I feel my teeth falling out.

I don't believe in the idea of cheat meals, A bowl of ice cream will have the same effect on you regardless of how clean you usually eat, so these comments are somewhat dumb IMO. Because health is asymmetric, If you get it wrong you will suffer many consequences, but If you get it right you won't get many benefits.

Not to mention that allowing yourself legroom means you will be less serious about this, degrading your discipline in the process.

You won't experience guilt if you never allow yourself to indulge.

Sucrephonia the sugar dealer

Edited by MarkKol