Loveeee

Alan Watts and Terence McKenna weren't that awake ?

33 posts in this topic

Maybe he was lost in fantasy, but if we just want to read something mystical about existence then it doesn't matter. But if our intention is to bring spirituality into our daily life to improve our daily actions, then we shouldn't listen to him. If we don't make distinction between the two then we might be lost, and not this two guru.

20 hours ago, Francis777 said:

Martin ball has talked about Terence McKenna before, cant remember where I heard it but he said that he was utterly deluded and lost in fantasy.

and I can clearly see that now, despite being fascinated by him in my teens.

Baffling how one can do so much/many psychs and make his life work to talk about it, but still not get it 

No space, no time, nothing but you/this/here/now

"Solipsism" only means anything related to spiritual awakening to members of Leo's cult.

Watts and McKenna were partly awakened, but not anatta awakened.

Edited by SeaMonster

Terrance knew more than he talked about and so did so did Alan Watts. They both dropped subtle hints from time to time. What does it mean to you to be awake?

Love is the λόγος' of humanity. The very important thing is to Love all flora and fauna of all kinds of species that inhabit the environment. Whether you call it Mother Earth or Gaia etc." To love all beings in the world and Universe with unconditionally Love and unbiased. Humanity doesn't mean only love it includes compassion peace and being kind generous to one another and non-judgmental and having more respect for others, especially your elders. Trying to always see the best in people. Being more authentic and more genuine and having moral integrity and values. Try to think for yourselves somewhere along the way humans have lost the ability to independent thought. Forgive all, especially yourselves, and always speak well of everyone because you never know what they're going through or have been through. Always be there for your family and friends and above all just be you and recognize and embrace your individuality, your own unique beautiful self. Try and love yourself a bit more every day and never stop dreaming or using your wonderful human Imagination.❤♾❤?    

12 hours ago, SeaMonster said:

"Solipsism" only means anything related to spiritual awakening to members of Leo's cult.

Watts and McKenna were partly awakened, but not anatta awakened.

V8eBGK.gif.d3aaf757179b685d6d92113bdf7a4848.gif

6 hours ago, Jehovah increases said:

Terrance knew more than he talked about and so did so did Alan Watts. They both dropped subtle hints from time to time. What does it mean to you to be awake?

You limited yourself as God, to wake up is to undo that 

Consciousness/intelligence/love etc 

Don't put Alan Watts and Terrence Mackena in the same sentence pls.

Mckennas lectures go into the weeds a bit,never fully understood the hype. Perhaps I need to do a heroic dose of shrooms first 🤔

Seriously what business do any of you have assesesing the awakening anybody 

Who would you even be assesing 

On 19/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, Loveeee said:

Baffling how one can do so much/many psychs and make his life work to talk about it, but still not get it 

I know, I think however towards the end he did start to get it, but it manifested in the form of horribly bad trips that would’ve shattered his mountains of stories he had. 

dennis McKenna has talked about this, that toward the end of Terence’s life he wasn’t “walking his talk” he wasn’t taking the heroic doses and going through with what he preached because he was scared. 

I love both teachers. I think they make tons of interesting remarks in their lectures. The ideas and theories that Terence concocted in his seminars have always fascinated me. Like the origin of magic mushrooms and how the spores migrated through space establishing a foundation here on earth seeking to create a symbiotic relationship with humans. McKenna was an explorer of Altered States and the Psychedelic Experience. 

I see Alan Watts as more of an Eastern Spiritual Guru. Which is kind of what he was considering his work revolved around Eastern Philosophy and Spirituality. I’ve only listened to a few of his lectures. There’s a quote/statement made by him that makes me believe he was awake.

“God likes to play hide-and-seek, but because there is nothing outside of God, he has no one but himself to play with! But he gets over this difficulty by pretending that he is not himself. This is his way of hiding from himself. He pretends that he is you and I and all the people in the world, all the animals, plants, all the rocks, and all the stars. In this way he has strange and wonderful adventures, some of which are terrible and frightening. But these are just like bad dreams, for when he wakes up they will disappear. Now when God plays "hide" and pretends that he is you and I, he does it so well that it takes him a long time to remember where and how he hid himself! But that's the whole fun of it-just what he wanted to do. He doesn't want to find himself too quickly, for that would spoil the game. That is why it is so difficult for you and me to find out that we are God in disguise, pretending not to be himself. But- when the game has gone on long enough, all of us will WAKE UP, stop pretending, and REMEMBER that we are all one single Self- the God who is all that there is and who lives forever and ever. You may ask why God sometimes hides in the form of horrible people, or pretends to be people who suffer great disease and pain. Remember, first, that he isn't really doing this to anyone but himself. Remember too, that in almost all the stories you enjoy there have to be bad people as well as good people, for the thrill of the tale is to find out how the good people will get the better of the bad. It's the same as when we play cards. At the beginning of the game we shuffle them all into a mess, which is like the bad things in the world, but the point of the game put the mess into good order, and the one who does it best is the winner. Then we shuffle the cards and play again, and so it goes with the world.” - Alan Watts

As for Terence, he was a heavy believer on Psychedelics revealing Truth and being able to save the world. I get that just because you’ve used Psychedelics doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve awoken. But for someone like him who’s tripped dozens and dozens of times on heavy doses I’m fairly certain he’s had awakenings here and there. 

22 hours ago, tuku747 said:

Seriously what business do any of you have assesesing the awakening anybody 

Who would you even be assesing 

^^^^^ You are assessing them....while asking who would you be assessing?

Anyway I don't know if Terrence knew Reality in a similar way to Watts....but I think anybody that trips as long as he does gets or arrives at something at least.

On 11/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, Nathan said:

Mckennas lectures go into the weeds a bit,never fully understood the hype. Perhaps I need to do a heroic dose of shrooms first 🤔

^^^^This but that is a result of him not really having an interest in metaphysics or epistemology. But yeah shrooms would definitely wake you up to any subtlety in any of his talks.

^^^ I'd say Watts realized something. 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

By their teachings i dont think they were awake. Especially mckenna. Mckenna was not awake. He just have the ability to take large doses of psychs and communicate in a fascinsting manner. That does have little to do with actual Awakening.