Someone here

Looking for advice on personal happiness and life purpose

37 posts in this topic

Happiness is conditional and important to some degree. It works like luck.

E.g. Watch some good comedy shows for a week or month.

Edited by Understander

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The mistake is seeking happiness at all.

Rather than seeking happiness, just live the kind of life you find most meaningful and deep, and stop worrying happiness. Happiness will come and go like clouds in the sky.

Spiritual and self-help teachers have sold you a happiness wild goose chase. Just do the things in life that interest you the most, which you are passionate about.

What you're after is not happiness but more like a challenging, meaningful life. A meaningful life is not easy -- it will come with suffering and frustrations. But it will be rewarding.

You need to be very careful with these spiritual fantasies of happiness that you've been sold. They will ruin your life.

To live a life that is meaningful and deep =happiness. Everyone is actually in a search for meaning (which you already know).

You know fully well that happiness does not come and go like clouds in the sky. You know fully well that happiness is just awareness of yourself as Love. As such for someone to be happy all they need to do is raise their awareness. When you are in high conscious states it's literally impossible for you to NOT be happy. 

Don't worry I got you Leo. You weren't in the state of Consciousness to remember your best advice. Well here is your best advice!!!

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

3 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

Why not? Isn't happiness a matter of perspective? If it is, why does it have to do with physical pain?  Yeah - it sounds crazy- but as your health fails- you personally have still found a way to be happy, have you not?

People who are undergoing extreme suffering, like physical pain without medications, hunger, thirst,fear of survival etc. suffer more compared to regular human beings. For them, even the things which seem common and doesn't matter to us, like a glass of water or a short relief from pain, brings extreme happiness. Our mind has a way of balancing things out, so that nobody undergoes only suffering throughout their life. If they undergo such extreme suffering for longer durations, they mostly die by nature or of their own will and are relieved of their suffering. Thankfully, those days don't exist anymore. Now, we have medicines to reduce physical pain, and we can atleast survive by begging if we don't have the resources.

The point is, we can't escape suffering entirely on the events of heavy physical or mental pain, but during that time, we should remember the nature of impermanence and wait for our mind to adjust to the new standard conditions. If we lose hope during that initial period, you may lose the will to live. But if you strengthen your mind to move beyond it, you can live a peaceful, if not happy life.

40 minutes ago, An young being said:

But if you strengthen your mind to move beyond it, you can live a peaceful, if not happy life.

Exactly.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Leo Gura but you have teached  in the past that we should strive to unconditional happiness as the ideal approach because conditional happiness is not realistic nor sustainable..

You have videos saying happiness (or rather goodness or love and so forth) are synonymous with existence itself.

Did you change your mind about those things ?

BTW I hope you have good health and well being and happiness in your heart . You are truly a gift for all humanity. So I want to just say thank you for all you do ❤ 

P.S I asked you before.. but this is the last time I will ask you this.....can I contact you outside of this forum via any social media app that you use? 

Thank you  ? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

5 hours ago, Harsh Bagdia said:

Hello ?

May I join this conversation between you and Leo? 

I am assuming Yes, ok? 

Thanks ?

So Moderator @Inliytened1

I feel honored to share my perspective on this matter, thanks for this opportunity. 

While your thought is beautiful (that happiness is matter of perspective), 

You are taking survival for granted. 

Don't discount Survival for GOD CONSCIOUSNESS. 

Survival Is Necessary For GOD Consciousness to exist. 

If any of us get eaten by a bear, it would be a dis-service to humanity.

As being part of probably the most conscious community on this planet, we have potential to do wonders for our fellow humans. And animals and plants and "inanimate objects"..

I won't forgive you if you get eaten by a bear even in the name of spirituality. Yes you can call me how much ever non-spiritual as you want. 

And that I am too emotional. And etc etc..my eyes are too watery to write properly. 

I just can't imagine the pain anyone would go through while that attack. 

Well ok I am good now?

If you are in God Consciousness Always Then Maybe When A Bear Attacks You, you can dis-imagine it into the existence/get eaten by it and become the bear itself. 

No human being has reached that level not even Sadhguru in my understanding and experience...

I can't even imagine what radical state of consciousness that would be.

Also, why do we need that?

Don't we have other things to engage in and master? 

Personally speaking, I would run my ass off if I see a bear in front of me..

I would run faster than a cheetah..

Because I love my current form just too much..

Yes I am very very selfish.

And every human being is. It is in our genes. 

From my perspective it's a God gift. Fear is good in this sense. 

The Higher Happiness is not to remain happy everytime. 

But become whatever it is necessary in a given moment. 

I remember Leo's words: You will do everything for Survival. 

Survival is deeply deeply intelligent. 

About Leo being happy with his health condition; 

It is not that he wants to remain that way.

Humanity's medical system has failed him. 

It is not his fault. It is medical systems fault. 

I wish I could come up with some magical medicinal treatment which heals his health. 

If anyone here belongs to medical field,hey why don't you do some research on it? 

It's our Leo we are talking about here..

My point is: 

It's stupidity to expect Leo to be happy with his health condition instead of giving him solutions for his health. 

That was all.

Thanks for reading?

4 hours ago, An young being said:

I would say being peaceful is more important than being happy. That doesn't mean happiness is not important. Trying to be always happy is. Here are some things I found that can bring happiness into anyone's life:

Don't overdo anything, including being happy. Mix different activities together instead of overdoing a single activity. Be open minded to new experiences and don't come to conclusions before trying them

1. Loving kindness , compassion and gratefulness meditation 

2. Exercise

3. Sleep

4. Stop comparing yourself to others who are above you. Compare yourself to people below you.

5. Have a pet

6. Enjoy a walk in nature

8. Give what you can towards orphanages, old age homes and poor people 

9. Plan a vacation

10. Be mindful

11. Spend money on experiences ( food, movies, games, vacations) rather than materials ( big house, big car, dress etc. )

12. Limit your desires.Stop chasing desires that are unlimited and have less probability of attaining.

13. Spend more time with family and friends

14. Smile

15. Learn to say no

16. Reduce expectations

17. Accept death

18. Don't consider yourself as special, mingle with community

19. Learn to be humorous

20. Be humble. Don't act like being humble

Thank you  guys .high quality advice. Exactly what I've been looking for . ?

-Osho

Happiness also depends on your perspective and bias.

For example, in my family iMessage group chat, my father sent a YouTube video of Sunday Mass. I replied by sending a video of a church steeple catching fire after being struck by lightning.

I’m sure my mom, dad, and sister would be unhappy and afraid seeing the church being caught on fire, but I found joy seeing it crumble, as it’s a metaphor for my anger towards my religious upbringing.

Edit: oh shit, I remember that priest (I just managed to skim through the video just now). He was actually a pretty cool guy

Edited by Yimpa

I tried to catch some fog earlier. I mist.

Happiness may not be circumstantially-derived, after all. You're still holding "winning" -- survival -- as happiness. Whenever things go your way, you say you're happy. When they're not, you say you aren't.

I finally got the PS5 - yeah! I'm happy. 

I couldn't get the Ferrari - oh I'm so depressed.

In any case, whenever the condition ceases to exist you're back to chasing the cheese -- of survival.

Happiness may be a function of your nature... But hey, who knows?

Maybe happiness is not what we think it is.

Edited by UnbornTao

theres two tracks survive&thrive and the one precludes the other

happiness is survive while thrive is beyond the happiness unhappiness poles

thrive is stuff like challenging, creative, curious, conscious, compassionate, calm you get the picture

thrive does what's not been done

all choose one or the other

alas you cant change i say

when you're no more you'll know more

@Yimpa I have shallow relationship with my family..I live alone and only visit my family twice a year or something.  I never understood that deep relationships and socializing is crucial to happiness. We are sociai animals ,It seems .

11 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

Happiness may not be circumstantially-derived, after all. You're still holding "winning" -- survival -- as happiness. Whenever things go your way, you say you're happy. When they're not, you say you aren't.

I finally got the PS5 - yeah! I'm happy. 

I couldn't get the Ferrari - oh I'm so depressed.

In any case, whenever the condition ceases to exist you're back to chasing the cheese -- of survival.

Happiness may be a function of your nature... But hey, who knows?

Maybe happiness is not what we think it is.

Yes that's how conditional happiness work . 

I like your skeptical posts.  But your always through a wrench of skepticism without answering the question...you  just add more questions ? 

-Osho

17 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Thank you  guys .high quality advice. Exactly what I've been looking for . ?

Welcome! ?

5 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

theres two tracks survive&thrive and the one precludes the other

happiness is survive while thrive is beyond the happiness unhappiness poles

thrive is stuff like challenging, creative, curious, conscious, compassionate, calm you get the picture

thrive does what's not been done

all choose one or the other

alas you cant change i say

when you're no more you'll know more

I'm struggling to understand what you are saying with all honesty.  Not sure if it's because the immense lack of punctuation lol.

Can you  break it down a lil bit so that my fish-sized  brain understand it better :)?

-Osho

2 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I have shallow relationship with my family..I live alone and only visit my family twice a year or something.  I never understood that deep relationships and socializing is crucial to happiness. We are sociai animals ,It seems .

My relationship with my family has always been rocky growing up, because my perspectives on reality was always in opposition to theirs. They had no idea how to handle me; they were trying to use their methods to conform me. That never worked in the long-term. It’s like trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.

It’s only recently that these relationships have been getting repaired, because I’m more in touch with my values and more authentic with myself.

I tried to catch some fog earlier. I mist.

26 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

They had no idea how to handle me; they were trying to use their methods to conform me. That never worked in the long-term. It’s like trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.

Haha I resonate a lot with this.  It's like I can't even strike or hold a conversation with my family even for 5 minutes without both me and them feeling awkward. 

-Osho

11 hours ago, Harsh Bagdia said:

Yes I get what you are saying. 

Your point is really advanced; like I said that it is beautiful. 

I guess you are missing my point. 

I am saying that I won't take such a risk.

It's my choice.

I am happy being at a beginner level spirituality ?

And I am asking you also to not take such a risk.

Really Don't Do It!!!!!

And I am A Three Part Being. 

Body-Mind-Soul complex named Harsh Bagdia. 

My body and my mind takes instructions from Soul. 

Not everytime..Body and mind have their own ways too. And I love it?

Soul(me?)says,

Protect The Body because body is an instrument for me to realize myself. And it is as much me as the mind and soul is. 

My body and my mind are divine for me. 

I won't sacrifice or instill pain intentionally on my body for any such spiritual experiments even if Leo, my master (who I consider as authority after my self) says me to do it.

So good luck to you convincing me to do it???

In short I am saying that I don't want to transcend survival and fear. 

Namaste

Youre funny.   Okay - well - no one asked you to transcend it.  But if you want to reach ultimate liberation you will need to transcend death by becoming a mystic.  Once a mystic, all fear evaporates.  It is a much better life.  But to do that you have to delve into spiritual practices.   Otherwise just stay the course and carry on.  Enjoy your life.  But there will always be the fear of death looming over you until you awaken. 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

8 hours ago, Someone here said:

asked you before.. but this is the last time I will ask you this.....can I contact you outside of this forum via any social media app that you use? 

@Leo GuraCome on Leo ..at least say yea or no to this  .why you run away ? My gosh didn't expect you to be so introverted...

-Osho

10 hours ago, Someone here said:

Yes that's how conditional happiness work . 

I like your skeptical posts.  But your always through a wrench of skepticism without answering the question...you  just add more questions ? 

That's a feature. :D