MarkKol

Why is Bryan Johnson so obsessed with with supplements?

61 posts in this topic

I counted exactly 54 daily supplements + 9-11 more that he sometimes takes including things like Testosterone, olive oil, aspirin et cetera...

I don't want to automatically discard his approach to health, his diet mostly consists of vegetables, legumes, nuts and a lot of powders (flavorings) and supplements. He looks alright, a little pale but hey... we don't really know what an Ideal human body looks like. He might end up extending his life but he's probably not going to reverse aging. That seems Impossible to me without some assistance from technology like gene editing. What do you think about his diet? It's far from ordinary.
It also says that he has these meals pretty much daily 24/7 all year round.

his diet: https://blueprint.bryanjohnson.co/Step-1-Step-2-Step-3
Video: 

I used to be like this. You just get caught up in the constant search for "facts" and "truths" until you realize much of it is BS and to just use common sense. There's only a few supplements that are genuinely beneficial, such as Magnesium, and if you care about looking good as you age, glycine, wearing sunblock, and applying tretinoin to your face.

A lot of it also has to do with social media clicks, selling books, making money. Come up with a new fad diet, get a bunch of followers, and start to rake in the dough. This diet resembles the book "How Not to Die" but that book preaches getting all nutrients from the foods you eat, with virtually no supplements necessary.

This guy has a pretty extreme diet with blood tests to verify his results... his diet is quite similar. Heavy plant based. His main meat source is Costco brand canned Sardines. Good man! LOL  If you want something close to the "perfect diet" for longevity, here it is:

Edited by sholomar

Supplements are just isolated chemicals. When you ingest food, you also ingest thousands of chemicals, probably you've never heard of.

Some supplements are harmful, others aren't, others are potentially helpful.

If you stick to a vendor which tests for pollutants and you stick to supplements which have good research (Lions mane, ALCAR, creatine, agmatine, beta-alanine, glycine, tongat ali, l theanine, CBD, cordyceps, L-citrulline, etc etc). At worst you won't notice beneficial effects. Supplements are great as an ad on to diet.

Hes a little too much, but theres nothing inherently wrong with taking a shit ton of supplements.

Can't argue with his data though. 

Check out what he looked like 3 years ago 

Remember he basically fucked his body up for 20+ years before Blueprint too

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Jason Actualization I mean there's a difference between taking supplements as a vegan and optimizing every aspect of your life to maximize longevity lol 

His test is cos he was on 20% caloric restriction, that's not a vegan thing. Any bodybuilder going through a serious cut tends to fuck their test up 

I've been vegan 8 years since I was 15. Only ever taken the basics, and @Michael569 can confirm my bloods are all good & test was 750

He is taking every single measure to live as long as possible, like a mad scientist 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

2 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

I mean there's a difference between taking supplements as a vegan and optimizing every aspect of your life to maximize longevity lol 

Correct, it's just that, as a vegan, it will require a heroic supplementation effort.

His test is cos he was on 20% caloric restriction, that's not a vegan thing. Any bodybuilder going through a serious cut tends to fuck their test up 

Correct, he is chronically starving himself, which, unlike a seasoned bodybuilder, he has no intention to abort.

I've been vegan 8 years since I was 15. Only ever taken the basics, and @Michael569 can confirm my bloods are all good & test was 750

Very nice. What is your supplement stack and current body fat percentage as well as height/weight?

12 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

Correct, it's just that, as a vegan, it will require a heroic supplementation effort.

Supplementing on Vitamin B and Vitamin B12 isn't a heroic effort lol

some vegans may need to take more, like DHA, but generally all other nutrients are adequate from it. 

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."

18 minutes ago, toasty7718 said:

Supplementing on Vitamin B and Vitamin B12 isn't a heroic effort lol

some vegans may need to take more, like DHA, but generally all other nutrients are adequate from it. 

For folks seeking optimal health, the vegan diet is out of the question.

@Jason Actualization Couldn't disagree more haha 

Gone from 130lbs when I was 15 to now 168lbs (currently bulking to 175-180) @ 5'8 and around 12-13% bodyfat I'd say

Idk if I'm optimal, but I feel awesome every day, sleep 7-8 hours, eat wholefoods, have lots of energy and train 5-6 times a week

Only time I don't feel awesome is through drinking / partying which I don't think is a vegan issue lol - although new LVDY pils have helped me avoid the hangover, except tiredness 

Vegan supplement wise- B12, D3, DHA / EPA & basic Vegan multi Vit - that's it really 

Then creatine and EAAS for gym, sometimes experiment for Gym & stuff too 

Blue zones = 95% plant based 

6 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@Jason Actualization Idk if I'm optimal, but I feel awesome every day, sleep 7-8 hours, eat wholefoods, have lots of energy and train 5-6 times a week

That's amazing man. What is your diet exactly?

Mine is, per week:

4.4 lbs (measured dry/raw) basmati rice

7 lbs of 93% ground beef

2 gallons of whole milk

1/4 lb of raw liver

12 whole eggs

1750 mL of 100% pomegranate juice

On 9/1/2023 at 2:03 AM, Jason Actualization said:

For folks seeking optimal health, the vegan diet is out of the question

For the love of god, start giving us evidence for your bullshit propositions then we'll start to take you seriously.

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."

Aren’t you concerned about saturated fat. Also pomegranate juice has 13-15g of sugar per 100ml that’s 250g of sugar.

12 hours ago, toasty7718 said:

For the love of god, start giving us evidence for your bullshit propositions then we'll start to take you seriously.

The evidence I can offer you is fundamentally formatted differently than the evidence you are accustomed to immersing yourself in. How serious, from a scale of 1-10, are you about honestly exploring my dietary philosophy?

You seem intelligent my friend and I see a lot of potential within you.

I'd advise actually following my advice for a month, to the letter, and seeing for yourself what happens.

10 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Aren’t you concerned about saturated fat. Also pomegranate juice has 13-15g of sugar per 100ml that’s 250g of sugar.

I am not concerned about saturated fat, I am concerned about polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) that are pro-oxidative (this is why I consume <10% of my dietary fat from PUFAs and <2% of my total energy intake from linoleic acid).

13-15g of sugar per 100mL, and I'm consuming 250mL per day, which is just under 40g per day, but not all of that is fructose, perhaps only ~35% is. The safe upper limit of fructose consumption, even for a completely sedentary couch potato, is about 50 grams per day, and I'm getting, at most, 15 grams from pomegranate juice.

There are 4 aspects of nutrition that start with a "S" and two of them are problematic and two are not.

Seed oils and sugars are problematic (the former in any amount, and the latter when exceeding 50g of combined fructose/galactose per day for sedentary folks, and 100g of combined fructose/galactose in active individuals).

Saturated fat and starch (glucose) are not problematic (the former in any amount, and the latter depending on the individual's degree of insulin sensitivity, i.e., the more insulin sensitive, the more starch they can consume, the less insulin sensitive, the less starch they should opt for).

On 9/5/2023 at 5:32 PM, Jason Actualization said:

2 gallons of whole milk

I'm surprised you drink cow's milk. 

Thought = Time. Without thought there's no time.

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

I'm surprised you drink cow's milk. 

A lot of people deem dairy to be inflammatory, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a food that matches its' nutrient density.

A lot of people lack the gene for lactase persistence, so they struggle to digest lactose, which is understandable. Dairy is often a hit or miss, but if it is well digested, is genuinely a superfood, be it whole milk, Greek yogurt, cheese, etc, full-fat dairy truly has a ton to offer.

Just now, Jason Actualization said:

A lot of people deem dairy to be inflammatory, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a food that matches its' nutrient density.

A lot of people lack the gene for lactase persistence, so they struggle to digest lactose, which is understandable. Dairy is often a hit or miss, but if it is well digested, is genuinely a superfood, be it whole milk, Greek yogurt, cheese, etc, full-fat dairy truly has a ton to offer.

I respectfully disagree but I'm not going to go through the reasons why. If you think so, that's good enough.

Thought = Time. Without thought there's no time.

9 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

I respectfully disagree but I'm not going to go through the reasons why. If you think so, that's good enough.

Fair enough. I recognize that my nutritional philosophy is deemed appalling by many/most, and that's perfectly fine.

I will be posting a 360 health review of mine by the end of this year, showing everything from a DEXA scan, to a lipid panel, full hormonal workup, erythrocyte phospholipid fatty acid composition, metabolic markers such as A1c and fasting insulin, inflammatory markers such as CRP, continuous glucose monitor (CGM) results, oral glucose tolerance test, linoleic acid adipose tissue biopsy, upper endoscopy, oxidized LDL, etc.