Bufo Alvarius

"This Scared Me Into Quitting Coffee FOR LIFE"

14 posts in this topic

What are the main points that scared you?

Coffee is a drug and society conditioned people to drink it with out thinking deeply about it. 

Society has conditioned us to do alot of things with out thinking deeply about it.

This is the tip of the ice berg.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral "Scared" was just the title of the video itself. I'm currently looking at the data presented here and trying to evaluate, if it's still worth taking caffeine as a performance enhancing drug. 

He goes into lenght how your brain and gut get rewired and setup for negative long term consequences on your overall health and well being.

Yep, caffeine is one of those legal drugs that society never questions and it’s EVERYWHERE. If you think about it - most people are drinking some form of caffeine every single day, including me. It’s extremely difficult to quit too, I get offered coffee all the time and I find it soooo hard to say no. 
I’ve only managed to quit it for a few weeks at a time and then slipped back into drinking coffee without me really knowing. And I felt amazing when I did quit it for those few weeks.

I listened to him and he brought up some good points. Somehow I think he's half right and half wrong or inconclusive. I don't think it's so much the caffeine that's the problem, even though it does have some negative side effects, but how much are you drinking, what are you putting in the coffee and is the rest of your diet basically healthy. You can't always rely on studies because some are funded by the same companies that produce the stuff they're studying or the opposite, e.g a beer company could fund studies on the benefits of drinking beer.

Maybe he's speaking about large doses and people who are addicted to it. What about green tea. It has caffeine even though there are non-caffeinated versions. It has some benefits and contains catechins called EGCG which improves cardiovascular functions and reduces oxidative stress. People aren't as addicted to green tea as they can be to coffee, so maybe it's not just the caffeine but what they are putting in the coffee. What about people who drink one cup per day and drink it black, is that a major problem. 

I can have one cup per week, am I still negatively affected. I just think there are variants he didn't discuss are are limiting his findings to only people who consume large quantities, what they put in it and is it causing them to become dependent on it. 

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

Coffee is useful if you have to do boring or unmotivating as fuck jobs, if you don't need an external artificial push stimulation, becoming physically dependent to coffee is dumb. As any drug iit has is price to pay, I will quit it when I have a good job

Coffee/caffeine is masking fatigue, but akin to how vitamin D is not a perfect sunlight substitute, coffee is not a sleep substitute.

Being fatigued is a symptom, an invitation for exploration. The cure hides where the cause resides, and the cause is not a caffeine deficiency, and so, consuming such in an effort to resolve your lack of energy, is merely to take a chemical crutch. Crutches are okay to lean on in the short-term, but in the long-term, paradoxically, crutches actually cripple you, so proceed with caution when consuming caffeinated beverages of any variety.

@Jason Actualization I’m going through this as I type this. I stopped drinking all caffeine and replaced it all with only water3 days ago. I feel amazing, the natural fatigue has come back, natural sleepiness has come back, I’m sleeping like a baby, and I feel cleaner.

Fuck caffeine. Anything that prevents sleep is not a good thing 

1 hour ago, RawJudah said:

@Jason Actualization I’m going through this as I type this. I stopped drinking all caffeine and replaced it all with only water3 days ago. I feel amazing, the natural fatigue has come back, natural sleepiness has come back, I’m sleeping like a baby, and I feel cleaner.

Fuck caffeine. Anything that prevents sleep is not a good thing 

Amazing my friend. The inter-individual variability of caffeine metabolism is also quite striking, meaning, the half-life varies greatly, and necessarily impacts your ability to get deep and restorative sleep.

I am in bed for 9 hours consistently, like clock-work, and can count on one hand the number of minutes it takes me to fall asleep after my head hits the pillow. You are on the right track my friend.

I don’t drink coffee either. I do however consume tea.

Just finished this batch of decaf beans roasted on an inexpensive chinese made roaster. Decaf of course, because roasting of caffeinated beans involves chaf production, which is lacking in decaf beans. Most store bought decaf is repulsive, and most people in my opinion drink coffee wrong, using preground beans often with flavorings to mask the fact they are drinking old, stale coffee. Enjoy the taste and the antioxidant benefits and the fact it's a low calorie drink. Brew using a V60 with a Gooseneck kettle  to heat the water so I can fine tune the temperature and get it hot enough for light and medium roasts, which most drip coffee makers do not do.  My cheap roaster can't get all the beans perfectly even, but this would be classified as a light roast, which is what I generally prefer for the bright flavor and origin characteristics. If some beans make it to medium or city roast, that's fine. Tastes great.  Buy the beans super cheap on ebay... $6/lb

20230914_132459_HDR (Large).jpg

Edited by sholomar

Recently I got back to drinking coffee after YEARS! Similarly with my comeback to weed, I don’t have a need to do it daily, but once I drink coffee, I feel so fkn pump making my workflow faster by over 9000%. xD Sometimes I just want to go out and run! For exercise sake. Yes I’m aware of the addictive tendencies but, again I don’t feel like doing it daily so, I guess it’s about knowing when to use it, I could be wrong and later cut off clean caffeine once again, I’m still experimenting. 

Edited by Juan