caspex

Extremely bad spending habits - need help

29 posts in this topic

I don't get much money each month and it's not regular or guaranteed. I don't have to pay my bills really but I do have to use the money to buy essentials of living. Even so, I spend my money everyday to buy things to eat. I spend so much on these things while I can just buy a ton of Vegetables (very cheap in india) and cook them on my own each day (I have the time). This would reduce my costs by 40%-60%. The problem is that I feel empty if I don't spend on a certain. By the end of the day, there's a massive urge to buy something to eat. I feel lonely if I don't spend on a particular day. I don't know how to fix this. This compulsion is genuinely eating into my money and even my savings right now.

It's really hard, I stop for a while but then get back into it. I have the time but not the energy to cook food for myself, I just want to buy this cheap-in-short-term and unhealthy instant foods and get that dopamine hit. It's so shit for my health as well.

Did you watch this episode? It is basically the cure for any kind of addiction.

22 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Did you watch this episode? It is basically the cure for any kind of addiction.

Thanks a lot for this suggestion! I applied this to my habit of eating junk food and I am already seeing a difference.

Find foods that are simultaneously all of what I list below:

-Filling

-Comforting

-Nutritious

Foods with fiber will keep you satisfied for longer.

Also, REALLY pay attention to how food makes you feel. Seriously weigh out what IS and ISN'T worth eating. Certain foods will make your stomach feel heavy and agitated (if they are overly spicy or low quality). Like, if you pay attention, certain foods will LITERALLY taint your consciousness. It will make your conscious experience, and thus, your conscious reality, dull and agitated. This should be taken very seriously. Pay genuine attention to HOW bad food is ACTUALLY bad, don't just intellectually tell yourself "oh this is bad because my doctor told me" or something of the sort. Notice how it is bad in your own experience for yourself.

On the other hand, certain foods will taste really good and make you feel full at the same time.

Really, if you just master your diet and health, you won't need to spend anything for comfort, easier said than done of course, but I've kind of given you basic and practical ideas as to how to start doing that quickly.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

2 hours ago, Swarnim said:

Thanks a lot for this suggestion! I applied this to my habit of eating junk food and I am already seeing a difference.

Yeah, this episode is one of Leo's finest.

6 hours ago, Osaid said:

Find foods that are simultaneously all of what I list below:

-Filling

-Comforting

-Nutritious

Foods with fiber will keep you satisfied for longer.

Also, REALLY pay attention to how food makes you feel. Seriously weigh out what IS and ISN'T worth eating. Certain foods will make your stomach feel heavy and agitated (if they are overly spicy or low quality). Like, if you pay attention, certain foods will LITERALLY taint your consciousness. It will make your conscious experience, and thus, your conscious reality, dull and agitated. This should be taken very seriously. Pay genuine attention to HOW bad food is ACTUALLY bad, don't just intellectually tell yourself "oh this is bad because my doctor told me" or something of the sort. Notice how it is bad in your own experience for yourself.

On the other hand, certain foods will taste really good and make you feel full at the same time.

Really, if you just master your diet and health, you won't need to spend anything for comfort, easier said than done of course, but I've kind of given you basic and practical ideas as to how to start doing that quickly.

I did this and saw that a glass of Soda actually makes me feel more aware like tea, that's why I drink it in the first place. It doesn't feel bad to me if it's only a glass, yet I want to avoid that much sugar. Maybe I am just not aware enough yet to see the subtle effects it has.

I'll do what you said for a week and give you a report. You don't have to read it I am just doing that so I can commit

1 hour ago, Swarnim said:

I did this and saw that a glass of Soda actually makes me feel more aware like tea, that's why I drink it in the first place. It doesn't feel bad to me if it's only a glass, yet I want to avoid that much sugar. Maybe I am just not aware enough yet to see the subtle effects it has.

Interesting, caffeinated?

I find the cold and carbonated nature of soda to be very neutral, and at times causing bloating and burping (although I haven't had it in a very long time). 

Something like tea is generally very warming, makes my body itself produce lots of warmth, and makes the digestion feel smoother.

I also find that if you consume soda alongside something else, you will pretty much always feel it "interacting" or "fighting" with whatever you just consumed, whereas tea seems to just seamlessly combine itself with most foods (but definitely not all, depending on what tea or food you consume).

I find that any warm beverage like tea or coffee tends to speed up digestion and make it much more smoother and efficient. Coffee, in particular, has very potent energetic effects, which are completely unrelated to just caffeine. For example, it is proven to significantly increase ketones for those practicing ketosis.

But, your body might actually just be different. I mean, in my case, caffeine doesn't have much of an effect on me. I also heard that carbonation (CO2) can actually have certain health benefits, so yeah, test it yourself.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

11 minutes ago, Osaid said:

Interesting, caffeinated?

I find the cold and carbonated nature of soda to be very neutral, and at times causing bloating and burping (although I haven't had it in a very long time). 

Something like tea is generally very warming, makes my body itself produce lots of warmth, and makes the digestion feel smoother.

I also find that if you consume soda alongside something else, you will pretty much always feel it "interacting" or "fighting" with whatever you just consumed, whereas tea seems to just seamlessly combine itself with most foods (but definitely not all, depending on what tea or food you consume).

I find that any warm beverage like tea or coffee tends to speed up digestion and make it much more smoother and efficient. Coffee, in particular, has very potent energetic effects, which are completely unrelated to just caffeine. For example, it is proven to significantly increase ketones for those practicing ketosis.

But, your body might actually just be different. I mean, in my case, caffeine doesn't have much of an effect on me. I also heard that carbonation (CO2) can actually have certain health benefits, so yeah, test it yourself.

I definitely see what you mean! That's very interesting and I agree with you on the soda fighting part. Tea(chai)(without sugar) kills my hunger so I drink a bunch during fasts.

Caffeine has the expected effect on me. As described, it wakes me up and I can't go to sleep if I take it within 8 hours of sleeping. It lifts up my energy which helps me focus better on contemplation.

And yeah, I just checked and it does contain caffeine. 8.3mg/100g.

Edited by Swarnim

Some ideas that come to my mind (from my personal experience, perhaps you will find it helpful):

1. Maybe make a plan, decide about a realistic amount to spend each month, an amount that will be sufficient enough to meet your needs on one hand, but not to high so you can save some money.

2. Decide how much of it would be spent on any unhealthy food that you crave, it can be 50% of the money, 70% or 20%, whatever you feel comfortable with at this moment.

3. Write all your expenses in an excel sheet or anywhere you can document it in a simple and convenient way for you, so you can see at any given moment where you stand at financially.

4. Find and write down simple and tasty recipes to prepare, there are many simple, tasty and healthy recepies that require you to be only 10-40 minutes in the kitchen. 

5. Think how you make the process of preparing the food more fun and interesting, maybe put some music or podcasts in the background.

Cooking and preparing food can be a sensual, creative and meditative process, maybe try to put your attention to the smells, the texture and the feeling of the food against your skin, the sounds of preparing the food, experiment with tastes and various food combinations. Maybe make it more like a play rather than a chore. 

6. Whatever your goal is (reducing unhealthy food, spending less money, eating more cooked meals per week), start from simple and easy steps that you feel comfortable with and are easy to follow, then gradually and slowly when you get used to it, set bigger goals.

For example, strat from cooking for only one day in a week, in this day you restrain yourself from buying any unhealthy food, it's helpful to plan during the week the exact dishes that you will cook at that particular day so you will know exactly what to do.

Do it for as long as you want, it can be for 3 weeks or 3 months, until you expend to two days of cooking per week and so on.

When you have a good simple and realistic plan that is easy to follow, your chances to succeed with making the changes you wish are highly increasing.

7. Write down all the obstacles that make it harder for you to make the changes that you wish. Be very specific, it can be internal, psychological and emotional issues or external reasons that you have or don't have control on. Once you write all the obstacles and bring them to your awarness your mind naturally will try to tackle them, you can write down the solutions that come to your mind.

For example, I found that one of my biggest obstacles is feeling unmotivated during the say. I found that my lack of motivation stems mainly from tiredness and lack of a sufficient sleep so I worked on improving my quality of sleep.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

20 hours ago, Swarnim said:

I'll do what you said for a week and give you a report. You don't have to read it I am just doing that so I can commit

Coca cola is the "healthiest" and best tasting brand I've found.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

On 13/08/2023 at 8:44 AM, Swarnim said:

The problem is that I feel empty if I don't spend on a certain.

What makes you feel this empty?

It could be wise to investigate and feel into this more as it seems to be at the root cause of your problem.

You are doing good. Just keep being curious about what that emptiness feeling really is.

And then find ways to do more valued work, eating out shouldn't break the bank.

Can you make saving a certain % of your income automatic? Say 10-15%? For example set up an auto transfer to a savings account.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 8/13/2023 at 2:44 PM, Swarnim said:

I don't get much money each month and it's not regular or guaranteed. I don't have to pay my bills really but I do have to use the money to buy essentials of living. Even so, I spend my money everyday to buy things to eat. I spend so much on these things while I can just buy a ton of Vegetables (very cheap in india) and cook them on my own each day (I have the time). This would reduce my costs by 40%-60%. The problem is that I feel empty if I don't spend on a certain. By the end of the day, there's a massive urge to buy something to eat. I feel lonely if I don't spend on a particular day. I don't know how to fix this. This compulsion is genuinely eating into my money and even my savings right now.

It's really hard, I stop for a while but then get back into it. I have the time but not the energy to cook food for myself, I just want to buy this cheap-in-short-term and unhealthy instant foods and get that dopamine hit. It's so shit for my health as well.

Looking at your Youtube channel, I don't think you have extremely bad spending habits. You are probably just hungry for more food.

I've had a similar problem. Before I liked cooking. But then I moved into the room with an awful common kitchen. I really didn't like to appear in the kitchen and also I needed to run 100m back&forth between the kitchen and my room, so after some time I stopped cooking at all. Actually, I had similar situations for the past 4 years - I never had a kitchen which is clean and neat and had enough space for me to cook. Because of this, my eating habits worsened. Also besides this, the cooking process became irritating for me, I just couldn't wait before the food would be ready.

However, after initiation into Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya, I started liking the process of cooking. Sadhguru said that when you do Shambhavi, I start liking making "precise movements" and your movements become precise. And it was so for me.

On 15/8/2023 at 0:13 PM, Lila9 said:

Some ideas that come to my mind (from my personal experience, perhaps you will find it helpful):

1. Maybe make a plan, decide about a realistic amount to spend each month, an amount that will be sufficient enough to meet your needs on one hand, but not to high so you can save some money.

2. Decide how much of it would be spent on any unhealthy food that you crave, it can be 50% of the money, 70% or 20%, whatever you feel comfortable with at this moment.

3. Write all your expenses in an excel sheet or anywhere you can document it in a simple and convenient way for you, so you can see at any given moment where you stand at financially.

4. Find and write down simple and tasty recipes to prepare, there are many simple, tasty and healthy recepies that require you to be only 10-40 minutes in the kitchen. 

5. Think how you make the process of preparing the food more fun and interesting, maybe put some music or podcasts in the background.

Cooking and preparing food can be a sensual, creative and meditative process, maybe try to put your attention to the smells, the texture and the feeling of the food against your skin, the sounds of preparing the food, experiment with tastes and various food combinations. Maybe make it more like a play rather than a chore. 

6. Whatever your goal is (reducing unhealthy food, spending less money, eating more cooked meals per week), start from simple and easy steps that you feel comfortable with and are easy to follow, then gradually and slowly when you get used to it, set bigger goals.

For example, strat from cooking for only one day in a week, in this day you restrain yourself from buying any unhealthy food, it's helpful to plan during the week the exact dishes that you will cook at that particular day so you will know exactly what to do.

Do it for as long as you want, it can be for 3 weeks or 3 months, until you expend to two days of cooking per week and so on.

When you have a good simple and realistic plan that is easy to follow, your chances to succeed with making the changes you wish are highly increasing.

7. Write down all the obstacles that make it harder for you to make the changes that you wish. Be very specific, it can be internal, psychological and emotional issues or external reasons that you have or don't have control on. Once you write all the obstacles and bring them to your awarness your mind naturally will try to tackle them, you can write down the solutions that come to your mind.

For example, I found that one of my biggest obstacles is feeling unmotivated during the say. I found that my lack of motivation stems mainly from tiredness and lack of a sufficient sleep so I worked on improving my quality of sleep.

I took your advice and combining it with the previous one, the only obstacle I face is a dirty home and a dirty kitchen. Due to reasons, I am in a home that can house about 5 people but I am living here alone with my little sister. This home is old, requires renovation and frequent repairs, which I don't have the money for. It gets dirty real fast and it would take me maybe 2 hours a day to clean this home. Cleaning just the kitchen is feasible but it's also in need of repairs and gets dirty quick. Furthermore, almost all the lights have died in the kitchen to cooking there are night is simply uninviting. The sewage system is too disgusting for me to do anything about, and I don't think I could do it even if I decided to.

It seems my spending habit would be fixed if I just fixed my eating habits.

On 16/8/2023 at 3:35 AM, universe said:

What makes you feel this empty?

It could be wise to investigate and feel into this more as it seems to be at the root cause of your problem.

You are doing good. Just keep being curious about what that emptiness feeling really is.

And then find ways to do more valued work, eating out shouldn't break the bank.

I feel lonely, as if my life is too meek and simple if I don't spend it. Although I have seemed to fix that to a large degree now.

On 16/8/2023 at 5:21 AM, Buck Edwards said:

Seems more of a food addiction than money addiction. 

On 16/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, hyruga said:

Looking at your Youtube channel, I don't think you have extremely bad spending habits. You are probably just hungry for more food.

That's true. I am just realizing this.

On 16/8/2023 at 6:57 AM, Thought Art said:

Can you make saving a certain % of your income automatic? Say 10-15%? For example set up an auto transfer to a savings account.

I always put 10% of it away but in cash. That's what I am using up now until I get more money.