Something Funny

Feeling Weird After Oatmeal

38 posts in this topic

I've noticed that after I eat oatmeal I start to feel kind of agitated/irritated/panicky. And also get a very dry feeling in my mouth which stays for a few hours no matter how much water I drink. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

I usually cook my oatmeal with just water.

I quit eating oatmeal, too much side effects. Is not worth it, get your calories somewhere else

Can you snap a picture of your oatmeal the next time you make it and post it here? 

Also, what is your age & BMI - would you say you're skinny, overweight, normal? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I have the same issues. I still eat them, but I have the following strategies (non-advisory):

• Fibers: Eating them alongside vegetables and berries
  • Inflammation: With anti-inflammatory compounds, such as turmeric and olive oil
  • Quality Control: Organic, gluten-free, sprouted, and softly cooked oats 
  • Timeline: Meal time before exercises
  • Glycemia: Test glucose concentration; Switch to oat groats, steel cut, or potentially consider berberin HCL, metformin (Rx), chromium picolinate, vinegar... 
  • Alternative recipes:  'nutty pudding' on blueprint is interesting, macadamia and walnuts are the lowest nuts in oxalates (but annoying to prep without high quality blender and potentially expensive); Yellow millet is also worthwhile to consider

Overall, grass is not greener on the other side. Survival strategies may necessarily be chaotic rabbit holes, I feel it should be preferable to chose branches which are harmonious and enjoyable. 

Edited by nuwu

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Can you snap a picture of your oatmeal the next time you make it and post it here? 

Also, what is your age & BMI - would you say you're skinny, overweight, normal? 

Hi. I am, my height is around 175cm and weight around 70kg. I guess that's normal.

Here is how my oatmeal looks like (raw/after cooking). Today I added some tahini paste to it, plus ate watermelon separately. But this is something that have been happening to me for a long time, so I am sure it's oatmeal itself that causes this.

20230809_134324-min.jpg

20230809_134806-min.jpg

Edited by Something Funny

15 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

Hi. I am, my height is around 175cm and weight around 70kg. I guess that's normal.

Here is how my oatmeal looks like (raw/after cooking). Today I added some tahini paste to it, plus ate watermelon separately. But this is something that have been happening to me for a long time, so I am sure it's oatmeal itself that causes this.

20230809_134324-min.jpg

20230809_134806-min.jpg

It looks disgusting.
Why not add something sweet?

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

4 hours ago, Something Funny said:

I've noticed that after I eat oatmeal I start to feel kind of agitated/irritated/panicky. And also get a very dry feeling in my mouth which stays for a few hours no matter how much water I drink. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

I usually cook my oatmeal with just water.

Interesting! Your symptoms imply a sympathomimetic ("stress") response. 

Do you have any underlying health-condition?
Ever experienced problems with blood sugar regulation? 
Do you have the same symptoms after drinking oatmilk? 
Any other food that cause similar symptoms?
Ever tried changing the oat-brand? Which brand do you use?
For how long do you cook your oats?

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

13 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

It looks disgusting.

Because I just cooked it 30 minutes ago to take a photo and don't plan to eat it?

5 minutes ago, undeather said:

Do you have any underlying health-condition?
Ever experienced problems with blood sugar regulation? 

I don't think so. I am not aware of them at least.

6 minutes ago, undeather said:

Do you have the same symptoms after drinking oatmilk? 

Hmm, I don't know. I should test it.

7 minutes ago, undeather said:

Any other food that cause similar symptoms?

No

7 minutes ago, undeather said:

Ever tried changing the oat-brand? Which brand do you use?

I eat different oat brands and they all feel more or less the same. 

Those are random Polish brands, so it won't tell you much I think. 

They are full, not instant oats (not sure how do you call them in english exactly).

Btw there's a difference between thick oats as nature intended vs roled or quick oats.

Make sure you're not getting the crappy processed shit. 

i never eaten oatmeal but i think i'll feel weird eating it too haha

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

20230809_134324-min.jpg

20230809_134806-min.jpg

I suggest you to soak it in water at least 6 hours. 

The last picture don't seem eatable. You will hurt your stomach in the long run eating it like that

2 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

^ I'm siding with this comment. You might be too sensitive to the glycemic load of the porridge (which begs the investigation of your blood sugar control) - enriching it with more fibre, low GL foods like berries, nuts & seeds and maybe dropping a tablespoon of protein powder or some nut butter might fix it for you. 

Also as already questioned above - it could be an intolerance issue - do you have problem with gluten? ( maybe an avidin issue?) 

Also, probably a good idea to have your blood sugar investigated - you're a lean guy so it might be a hypoglycemia issue rather than hyper - not sure? Speak to a doc if it happens often. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

I don't think so. I am not aware of them at least.

Hmm, I don't know. I should test it.

No

I eat different oat brands and they all feel more or less the same. 

Those are random Polish brands, so it won't tell you much I think. 

They are full, not instant oats (not sure how do you call them in english exactly).

Yeah, definitely get your glucose-metabolism checked by a doctor. I dont think there will be anything wrong, because that would be an odd way to show - but it's a really quick test and then you know. There is a thing called "reactive hypoglycaemia" which is a symptomatic decrease in blood sugar occurring after a high carbohydrate meal. This can happen to people with or without diabetes. A lesser known form is the so called "adrenergic postprandial syndrome", which would perfectly fit  your symptoms  - it's an autonomic stress response from your body after etaing certain foods and doesn't have anything to do with blood sugar. 

Maybe try to add stuff like Michael mentioned. That could resolve the problem altogether. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

^ I'm siding with this comment. You might be too sensitive to the glycemic load of the porridge (which begs the investigation of your blood sugar control) - enriching it with more fibre, low GL foods like berries, nuts & seeds and maybe dropping a tablespoon of protein powder or some nut butter might fix it for you. 

For me it's more like "speculoos spread" and some red fruits for "more flavor".

full (7).png

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@undeather @Michael569 like I said, I didn't eat pure oatmeal today. I ate it with a bunch of watermelon slices and 2 spoons of tahini.

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

I suggest you to soak it in water at least 6 hours. 

The last picture don't seem eatable. You will hurt your stomach in the long run eating it like that

What exactly about it doesn't seem edible? It is super soft and easy to chew.

enriching it with more fibre, low GL foods like berries, nuts & seeds

That's how I usually eat it.

Also, I won't feel this when if I eat a bunch of sweets for example (I mean I will also feel like shit probably, but in a different way), so I don't think it's about sugar. The way I feel after eating oatmeal is quite unique...

I think its the insoluble fibre causing issues, same thing happens to me even when i was very young and healthy. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?