mmKay

Leo's Burnout

16 posts in this topic

Dear Leo.

First of all, thank you for your contribution to mankind. In spite of all the content, your pure work ethic and pasion for personal development / spirituallity has been the thing that I appreciate the most.

That being said , do you plan a long term structural change to recover? Your blog post left me a little uneasy with no real conclusión.

Tbh I get infinite valuetainment simply in your posts on this forum. You have created enough content to do an extreme Impact on humanity for the rest of your life. My ambition is naturally pretty low and sometimes  the mental structure of high archivers does not compute with my worldview. Once I outgrew "competition" as a whole my ambition left with it. Which is okay, I'm still working on that juicy visión.

Wish you a holistic recovery.

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

43 minutes ago, mmKay said:

Dear Leo.

First of all, thank you for your contribution to mankind. In spite of all the content, your pure work ethic and pasion for personal development / spirituallity has been the thing that I appreciate the most.

Thank you.

That being said , do you plan a long term structural change to recover? Your blog post left me a little uneasy with no real conclusión.

I have already been taking lots more breaks over the last half year as you have noticed. So it's not like my blog post was some shocking revelation out of the blue. I have been scaling back my work to make more personal time for a while now.

As far as a permanent solution, I'm not sure yet. But yes, I anticipate some major changes to my lifestyle, attitudes, mindsets, and so on. I don't have a concrete plan yet.

Tbh I get infinite valuetainment simply in your posts on this forum. You have created enough content to do an extreme Impact on humanity for the rest of your life. My ambition is naturally pretty low and sometimes  the mental structure of high archivers does not compute with my worldview. Once I outgrew "competition" as a whole my ambition left with it. Which is okay, I'm still working on that juicy visión.

Wish you a holistic recovery.

Well, for one, I still gotta eat and pay my bills. I can't just do nothing for the rest of my life. Survival is still a factor.

And secondly, it was never about competition for me, it was about doing meaningful work that I could be proud of. And yes, I am quite ambitious by nature so my lifestyle has to suit that.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura can you tell a bit more about your health Issue journey? Is it still this autoimmune disease?

Could psychedelics not help here? 

A lifestyle change is hard in your age. I am same age and recognize how difficult it is. Just major events can push you for change

6 minutes ago, OBEler said:

can you tell a bit more about your health Issue journey? Is it still this autoimmune disease?

I'm not ready to get into that right now.

But the burnout was just from 10 years of work and having the autoimmune issues throughout that whole time to various degrees. The autoimmune just means that I have a lot less energy to work with than normal people. So I get exhausted quickly and need more recovery time. Which slows down all my work and causes a lot of interruptions, making it difficult to restart again. It's frustrating to not be able to work as much as I want to. So I have to rethink my relationship to work. To be more clever about it.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura thank you for your guidance and wisdom. I feel extremely fortunate to have found someone like you and you’ve inspired me to try improve my life and mental health.  I have purchased the life purpose course a few years ago and will give it another try and I’ve been subscribed to the patron for a while. 

hope you recover from this stress and find a work life balance that works for you. ?

Edited by Abhishaik

@Abhishaik Thank you. Good to hear.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

As far as a permanent solution, I'm not sure yet. But yes, I anticipate some major changes to my lifestyle, attitudes, mindsets, and so on. I don't have a concrete plan yet.

Great to hear that you want to turn the tide toward humanity.
For me, the move from jnana yoga towards karma yoga was valuable. Or similarly, from insight-based Buddhism towards right action:

One of the Buddha's most penetrating discoveries is that our [good] intentions are the main factors shaping our lives and that they can be mastered as a skill. If we subject them to the same qualities of mindfulness, persistence, and discernment involved in developing any skill, we can perfect them to the point where they will lead to no regrets or damaging results in any given situation; ultimately, they can lead us to the truest possible happiness. 

The Buddha's discovery was that if we nourish the skillful roots, they can grow and effectively block the road to hell; if we cut away the underbrush of unskillfulness and dig out its roots, we can develop our good intentions to higher and higher levels of skill until ultimately they bring us to a happiness totally unlimited, beyond any further need for a path.

Loving relations are such a valuable part of life - and I'm increasingly coming to appreciate the Traditional [as opposed to modern Stoic] Stoic view of happiness: practicing love as virtue as mankind is a universal brotherhood. The Stoics were both spiritual and practical - integrating Pythagorean mysteries-views and humanism. 

Edited by peterjames

@Leo Gura When will the next video be?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

13 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura When will the next video be?

I don't know.

47 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@Leo Gura What do you exactly mean when you say "burned-out"?

Can’t speak for Leo on that, but I’m glad that I’m not the only one dealing with burnout here (albeit, in a different context).

There’s a term called “autistic burnout” that I believe I struggle with, given that I have autism.

https://psychcentral.com/autism/autistic-burnout#signs

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@LSD-Rumi burned out is a heavy thing. You loose energy to do something and you are angry about yourself that you cannot do things as usual anymore , which makes you even more burned out.

This happens to people who normally need to perform constantly on high level and have high goals for themselves. But then some events happen (e.g. health/relationship problems) and you fail to be productive but you really want to be productive so you give more and more energy into something but you fail even deeper. This burns you out slowly and at the end you even cannot go out of your house. 

I have helped someone personality to fully recover from this. But it took over a year (more about 2 to 3 years). This Person could not even go to the Supermarket for months, so it was heavy burnout

Edited by OBEler

@Leo Gura You the man Leo ?

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

Leo, Take as much time off making content as you need, even a year or two. Health comes first. Most of us probably haven't watched more than 20% of the total content anyway. Plenty to catch up on. 

Maybe go travel to a tropical location for a few months and just take it easy. South East Asia is a nice one for that. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I just want to say, from my own point of view, that I completely understand Leo’s burn out. These videos, if you’ve gone through them all over the last 6/7 years or so, which I have, are ridiculous. As in how deep they are. Just listening to them and trying to take them in, and implement them in your own life and work is a task. And I mean that in a good way. They are seriously top draw. I’ve sat there in the past watching, long before Leo told of his burnout, and thought how the fuck is this man doing this?!. The amount of behind the scenes work he has to do is not so obvious to the average man who just sits and watches a bloke talking for a couple of hours. But it doesn’t take a genius to see, that when watching something that takes so much nous to even half get, and understand, that what’s gone on in someone’s time and mind, to create such content, is quite ludicrous. There’s physical burnout, and then there’s mental burnout, and clearly Leo is mentally burnt out, which has probably lead to a simultaneous physical burnout too. I think the majority of us understand this. I hope Leo himself understands that we understand, some of us anyway, the painstaking task of creating just 1 good value video. Sometimes I struggle to engage in a good conversation, never mind deliver basically a speech for 2/3 hours that has people questioning their whole reality. I mean, how fucking good is that. Not kissing ass, just making a point. Certainly take as much time as you feel necessary Leo, and only deliver us a video that is of the quality we’ve come to know. Don’t be just putting crap out there for releasing sake. You never have, I expect you never will. If anyone gets a bit fucked off with no videos, and they can’t use what’s already out there to grow, then they are not serious about what this channel is all about. Take care Leo, and take time

@Leo Gura
My offer to work with you on your health issues for free is still standing by the way. 
Complex cases like yours are extremely interesting to me. 
I know you are not keen sharing private information with strangers, which is of course understandable.
But if you ever change your mind, just let me know. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke