StarStruck

Best remedy against overthinking

44 posts in this topic

I have overthinking problems when sober but last week during my psychedelic trip it became apparent. They say “hang up when you get the message” but I just couldn’t. My best remedy right now is special breathing exercises to lower HRV that calms the heart and mind but it seems this doesn’t fix the problem at the cause. How do you guys deal with the problem of overthinking?

Thats the best way I hear just focus on breathing don't fight the thoughts just let em come and focus on breathing. Distance yourself from mind don't fight it

What is thought? What does the thought sound like? Is it a voice? How do you know it's there?

Listen to it. It's not tormenting you.

It is You. Listen to Yourself.

Listen. 

Edited by tuku747

For me the only thing that works is to stop and open myself to the now, to expand my mind, to realize what I am: the bottomless depth that is, now.

I have, let's say, a mental problem. my mind drifts towards thinking about my father, who was a horrible narcissist, demon, and I would really like to kill him, but since he is already dead... so I have to stop many times to get out of this spiral of hatred. my father is the key to my spiritual progress, but it is a very annoying, unpleasant, disgusting recurring thought. I don't know if one day I will be able to truly get rid of it

Give me an example of overthinking.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Meditate. It will deepen your awareness, and unveil thoughts as external phenomena desperately needing to draw your attention. When you see them truly, they lose their hypnotic charm.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

16 minutes ago, Moksha said:

Meditate. It will deepen your awareness, and unveil thoughts as external phenomena desperately needing to draw your attention. When you see them truly, they lose their hypnotic charm.

You are such a positive influence on this forum. You help to provide the balance that's necessary to not let the pendulum swing too far to one side. The wisdom and knowledge you display is always coming from a place of love. Thank you for displaying such grace. I don't care what they say about you. (just kidding). 

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

38 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

I don't care what they say about you.

Compliments and criticisms are so relatively true 9_9 ?

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

1 hour ago, Moksha said:

Compliments and criticisms are so relatively true 9_9 ?

You even gracefully accept compliments. You're right about them being relative because I'm sure someone else wouldn't agree with what I said, but that's part of the beauty of life it creates its own balance even if we're unable to see it. 

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

7 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

"- Pacify my mind, master.

- First show me your mind

- I can't find it

- There, I pacified it."

:P

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

Do you have OCD?

1 minute ago, Princess Arabia said:

Do you have OCD?

According to science :P

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

2 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

According to science :P

No seriously. Have you been diagnosed..Not that that makes it so, but have you? If so then I'll leave you alone with my critical remarks on these goddam Simpson clips. Helppppppp!!!! Lol

Edited by Princess Arabia

2 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

No seriously. Have you been diagnosed..Not that that makes it so, but have you?

Yep. I have one of the best therapists in the entire world treating me, and OCD is a treatable disease of the brain.

There are very few therapists in the world who know how to treat OCD. 

Just now, Yimpa said:

Yep. I have one of the best therapists in the entire world treating me, and OCD is a treatable disease of the brain.

There are very few therapists in the world who know how to treat OCD. 

Well, I'll be your therapist. Stop posting them Simpson clips and your OCD will magically disappear. Try it. I'm sure you know I'm joking...not.

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

Well, I'll be your therapist. Stop posting them Simpson clips and your OCD will magically disappear. Try it. I'm sure you know I'm joking...not.

11 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

“Life is difficult or life sucks”

4 hours ago, StarStruck said:

“Life is difficult or life sucks”

Well, I guess meditation will help. Consistent daily meditation on a semi-empty stomach, when you're at peak energy levels in your day, for at least 1 hour, seated with eyes closed, using one technique only. Committing to that level of strictness will also prevent overthinking ("I don't think I'm meditating enough, or using the right technique, or doing it for long enough, etc."). Also, generally committing to things like daily habits or long-term goals will prevent overthinking, because overthinking feeds on uncertainty, and committing to things makes things more certain. And when you're committed to doing things, thoughts like "life is difficult" lose their relevance, because you'll be doing things anyway, despite how hard they may be.

And what things should you commit to? Well, things that you find meaningful in some way. For example, daily habits structure your life and create order and direction, which helps you to pursue whatever is meaningful to you. Or a long-term goal that you find inherently rewarding in some way, which speaks to your strengths in some way, and which will support you financially and help your community in some way, is also something you'll find meaningful. And when you have committed and you feel some resistance or want to give up, remind yourself that the commitment itself (regardless of what it is) is a source of meaning, which is like honey to your mental state, and by virtue of that fact alone, you'll be compelled to have faith in your commitment. And the particular commitment you've chosen is again meaningful, but you're just overthinking in that moment, and you know that if the commitment is truly meaningful, your overthinking has no real ground and can be discarded more easily. So meaning feeds into meaning.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

18 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

I have, let's say, a mental problem. my mind drifts towards thinking about my father, who was a horrible narcissist, demon, and I would really like to kill him, but since he is already dead... so I have to stop many times to get out of this spiral of hatred. my father is the key to my spiritual progress, but it is a very annoying, unpleasant, disgusting recurring thought. I don't know if one day I will be able to truly get rid of it

For me, it's my elder brother. Even though we are on good terms nowadays, I have constant OCD thoughts about how he used to treat me in the past... it's like a mental tread mill that I cannot seem to get off. UGH.

I am planning to try hypnotherapy soon... let's see how that will work out.

Why so serious?