StarStruck

Best remedy against overthinking

44 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

For me, it's my elder brother. Even though we are on good terms nowadays, I have constant OCD thoughts about how he used to treat me in the past... it's like a mental tread mill that I cannot seem to get off. UGH.

I am planning to try hypnotherapy soon... let's see how that will work out.

yes, it has some of ocd. On the other hand, many times those obsessions are something else. there is still something encysted, some negative mental pattern caused by that toxic treatment, and until you release it, the thoughts are there. suddenly you realize the extent of the damage, how you are hiding negative patterns, the elephant in the room. then finish. but if there are others, start again, until everything is clear... I guess

Every thought that comes to mind, just let it be thought, then end it with, ‘oh yea, that’s bullshit’. You’ll probably find yourself thinking that’s bullshit quite a lot, all the time infact?. But at least recognising that your thought probably is a crock of shit is better than carrying on thinking these thoughts, then thinking about that thought with another thought and having the it just spiral into monkey mind just chatting shit to yourself. May as well just recognise after each thought that it’s allllllll bullshit. Then maybe you’ll stop thinking so much because it’ll register subconsciously that most of your thoughts are just shite ??

13 minutes ago, Dazgwny said:

‘oh yea, that’s bullshit’. You’ll probably find yourself thinking that’s bullshit quite a lot, all the time infact

thoughts are manifestations of real energy patterns. attacking the symptom never works, you have to understand the root. nothing you do is casual or silly, everything has a motivation.

Edited by Breakingthewall

@Breakingthewall well actually it’s pretty easy for me not to get wrapped up in thoughts using a similar process. I’m very free of nonsense over thinking. That is thought after many serious awakenings and seeing right through the structure of reality. So I’ve seen to the root of all sorts and what branches from that root is usually bullshit. So maybe this course of action is a tad easier for me than you

Bullshit is LOVE.

Not to a human, though.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

20 minutes ago, Dazgwny said:

@Breakingthewall well actually it’s pretty easy for me not to get wrapped up in thoughts using a similar process. I’m very free of nonsense over thinking. That is thought after many serious awakenings and seeing right through the structure of reality. So I’ve seen to the root of all sorts and what branches from that root is usually bullshit. So maybe this course of action is a tad easier for me than you

I have had deep realizations of what reality is, and meditating I easily get a silent state of expansion and joy, but sometimes I fall into recurring thought patterns. It's always the same theme. I am involved in business, there are always problems but that does not obsess me at all, on the contrary, I take that stress very calmly, but family matters are very complicated for me. on the other hand, it is the key that forces me to really go deep and really let go. But really, I think now it's time to really let go that shit.

8 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

I have had deep realizations of what reality is, and meditating I easily get a silent state of expansion and joy, but sometimes I fall into recurring thought patterns. It's always the same theme. I am involved in business, there are always problems but that does not obsess me at all, on the contrary, I take that stress very calmly, but family matters are very complicated for me. on the other hand, it is the key that forces me to really go deep and really let go. But really, I think now it's time to really let go that shit.

Family is a sticky one for me as well. I stopped talking to almost all my extended family members a few years ago. However, just because they’re “gone”doesn’t mean that they still don’t have an influence over you.

So I wonder what the solution is then ?

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Well, I guess meditation will help. Consistent daily meditation on a semi-empty stomach, when you're at peak energy levels in your day, for at least 1 hour, seated with eyes closed, using one technique only. Committing to that level of strictness will also prevent overthinking ("I don't think I'm meditating enough, or using the right technique, or doing it for long enough, etc."). Also, generally committing to things like daily habits or long-term goals will prevent overthinking, because overthinking feeds on uncertainty, and committing to things makes things more certain. And when you're committed to doing things, thoughts like "life is difficult" lose their relevance, because you'll be doing things anyway, despite how hard they may be.

And what things should you commit to? Well, things that you find meaningful in some way. For example, daily habits structure your life and create order and direction, which helps you to pursue whatever is meaningful to you. Or a long-term goal that you find inherently rewarding in some way, which speaks to your strengths in some way, and which will support you financially and help your community in some way, is also something you'll find meaningful. And when you have committed and you feel some resistance or want to give up, remind yourself that the commitment itself (regardless of what it is) is a source of meaning, which is like honey to your mental state, and by virtue of that fact alone, you'll be compelled to have faith in your commitment. And the particular commitment you've chosen is again meaningful, but you're just overthinking in that moment, and you know that if the commitment is truly meaningful, your overthinking has no real ground and can be discarded more easily. So meaning feeds into meaning.

I only meditate for 14 minutes per day but I really need to get into that shit and meditate. I’m not doing anything fancy. Just basic pranayama. 

3 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

So I wonder what the solution is then ?

38 minutes ago, Dazgwny said:

I d say that the first is to identify the negative fear patterns that the interaction has created in you, face them, and overcome them. On the other hand, stop thinking in terms of what is fair or not, things are as they are, the damage your father does to you is the same qualitatively as a stranger or a virus. But It's easier to say it than do it

59 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

I d say that the first is to identify the negative fear patterns that the interaction has created in you, face them, and overcome them. On the other hand, stop thinking in terms of what is fair or not, things are as they are, the damage your father does to you is the same qualitatively as a stranger or a virus. But It's easier to say it than do it

It appears, then, that the only one doing the damage is ourselves. Blaming external circumstances is scapegoating and feeds falsehood.

Taking 100% accountability is exceptionally rare as a human being. 

5 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

So meaning feeds into meaning.

?Meaning is whatever awareness attends.

Most of us live our lives reactively, defined by the meaning imposed on us by others. We may be miserable, but it is a simple path that absolves us from finding meaning within.

Freedom can be frightening. People insist that they want freedom, but allow themselves to be externally defined.

Freedom is internal responsibility.

Freedom is procreational.

Freedom is the essence of god.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Moksha infinity is freedom but total freedom is not freedom. To be free we need to be defined. 

@StarStruck @StarStruck whenever you put your attention, there you become! Just switch your attention to some motor activities. 

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

16 minutes ago, Moksha said:

Most of us live our lives reactively, defined by the meaning imposed on us by others. We may be miserable, but it is a simple path that absolves us from finding meaning within

Sure, but if your daughters are tortured in front of you and then killed, your mind may wander to hatred and revenge. we are genetically programmed for it. 

To turn the other cheek is to enter heaven, but it's not easy

@StarStruck Slavery is meaning imposed by the outside. Freedom is meaning arising from within.

@Breakingthewall If freedom was easy, everyone would already be free.

My response to @Carl-Richard was on the level of the absolute within its dream. When it awakens, it is no longer externally bound by its imagination. It is liberated to create meaning within itself. Instead of being distracted by the outside, focus is directed from within.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

1 hour ago, Moksha said:

Freedom can be frightening. People insist that they want freedom, but allow themselves to be externally defined.

Freedom is internal responsibility.

Freedom is procreational.

Freedom is the essence of god.

Freedom is also not “Make Ego Great Again!”

That’s just MEGA cringe. 

To fix overthinking is a holistic endeavour. You could have some kind of brain chemistry health issue. I would make sure your health is up to par before trying any sort of meditation. Those techniques cannot fix health issues. 

When the body & mind is healthy, overthinking should naturally subside unless, of course, you have some kind of psychological issue. That's when things like therapy, journaling, and feeling, combined with psychedelics could be really effective. Yoga and meditation can also work - I experienced profound energy releases doing Kriya Yoga, but usually with these types of practices, the main purpose is to increase consciousness, and not necessarily address your trauma or psychological baggage.

https://www.youtube.com/@tommicallef 

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." - Joseph Campbell

7 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Freedom is also not “Make Ego Great Again!”

That’s just MEGA cringe. 

The unveiled absolute defines, free from identification. It creates, without getting lost in its creation. It lucidly imagines, without surrendering to its imagination.

Don’t try to stop overthinking, just try to build things to think about that won’t harm you, and will, hopefully, help you.

5 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

thoughts are manifestations of real energy patterns. attacking the symptom never works, you have to understand the root. nothing you do is casual or silly, everything has a motivation.

True. Trying to quiet your overthinking mind is like trying to silence an alarm that tells you that your house is on fire.

An overactive neurotic mind is always a symptom for a deeper issue that begs for your attention.

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?