cle103

How to be truly creative?

14 posts in this topic

I'm an artist. At least I aim to be. 

Problem is, creativity comes and goes. There are weeks where I rarely paint. So this goes out to my fellow creative folk: 

Do you force yourself to sit and create? Even if you're uninspired and tired? Or do you let creativity come to you as it will? Where is the balance? 

-

In my personal experience the best ideas come from an outside stimulus which then sparks a connection inside the mind and an idea forms in a flash. For me it's most common during or after psychedelic experiences. God has the best ideas after all. Moreover it feels like creativity is a state of mind/consciousness.

I've also made other distinctions and observations but as I'm in a bit of rut right now I'm open to suggestions haha

A creative person creates. Simple. 

How to be truly creative? Demonstrate your creative abilities at every opportunity. Reject any excuse or justification for not doing so. 

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

A creative person creates. Simple. 

How to be truly creative? Demonstrate your creative abilities at every opportunity. Reject any excuse or justification for not doing so. 

Pretty much this. It's a skill you hone and practice just like anything else. There should not be weeks where you rarely do anything. See the quote above.

To what extent does a creator not create? If a creator is not creating, he is not being a creator. He can create the role of a creator, or he could not. Of course, the value of the creation is dependent on his abilities, including his ability to use his abilities.

Great Question, love it. And to answer your question, yes, he is creating a mess, he is creating a problem. He is creating litter. 

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

12 hours ago, Phil King said:

writing.jpg

I'm wondering if there is more to it than that. Is this the way great art is created? By following a rigorous regiment? 

2 hours ago, cle103 said:

I'm wondering if there is more to it than that. Is this the way great art is created? By following a rigorous regiment? 

Nope, you got it! You just had the perfect thought, see... inspiration just hit you. That was really beautiful, thanks for sharing❤️

Pop 2g dried mushrooms and do your thing.

Edited by D2sage

Realize that every moment of your life is an act of creation. Existing is creation.

But that's not very useful I gotcha. You do need breaks sometimes. You also do need to sit down and grind when you don't feel like it sometimes. There isn't a simple solution. Be aware of your internal state. Do you need to grind or take a break? Only you can answer that.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that you need a break just to procrastinate. It's very tricky. You gotta be unreasonably honest with yourself.

Remember that your art has no importance at all in the grand scheme of things. That relieves a lot of pressure.

Sailing on the ceiling 

Find practical actions you can do to spark your creativity.

Make notes when you have the spark of inspiration: For example, what were you doing, were you alone or with others, background, indoors or outdoors, the type of thoughts, etc. This way you can add these into your routine.

I have noticed for me it works to go outdoors for a walk and take my notepad and start speaking.  Its what works for me. Also movement like dancing or exercising. It can be different for every person, simply try to find your thing. Add discipline for the structure, meaning having the right spaces for the magic to happen. It might feel forced sometimes.

Also I wouldn't rely solely on psychedelics/drugs to be creative. For me its important to find that creativity within and sober. 

@D2sage that's the spirit! Just not suitable for everyday life, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Rigel said:

Don't fool yourself into thinking that you need a break just to procrastinate. It's very tricky. You gotta be unreasonably honest with yourself.

Yeah that judgement is tricky to say the least. I think I'm more on the procrastination side of things right now. 

@Twega just started listening. Amazing so far, thanks for the recommend!

5 hours ago, lizz_luna said:

Make notes when you have the spark of inspiration: For example, what were you doing, were you alone or with others, background, indoors or outdoors, the type of thoughts, etc. This way you can add these into your routine.

I remember two distinct moments which sparked creativity like none other:

One was on the peak of an LSD trip where I was flooded with the most amazing imagery begging to be painted. It felt like tapping into infinite Creativity and it was one of the best feelings and experiences of my life. It was so effortless and abundant that everyday consciousness just doesn't come close to it. I feel that this is part of the problem. I know what's possible but this dimension of Creativity feels "locked". 

The other instant was during the aftermath of a different psychedelic experience. I was sitting and journaling in a local park when I saw a small bird hanging upside down from a branch, cracking open a nut or seed. My consciousness instantly recognized the beauty and the need to paint and share it. 

Both were distinctly external influences/perceptions which sparked an instant, complete idea. I say "external" because there was no active thinking or figuring out. It was a sort of insight received in a state of complete openness. 

Like you suggested, I don't want to rely on psychedelics to tap into Creativity (haven't tripped in over a year partly because of that) - it just seems like the help a lot ?

Edited by cle103

Just play around more with your words.

Edited by hyruga

There is a lot of impractical advice on creativity out there. Here is a simple process I find effective:
1) Collect a diverse set of ideas (think 'requisite variety').
2) Choose a main idea, either your favorite or a random one.
3) Select another idea and combine it with your main idea.

That's it! Repeat this process multiple times, avoiding harsh judgment before putting ideas into practice. Intuition can be helpful here, but beware of being overly judgmental.

The finer details of this process vary depending on your creative medium. Whether you have the mental energy to be creative is a whole other thing. 

If you find yourself feeling down after a meal or stressed and overwhelmed, taking a short nap can often be helpful. Assuming it aligns with your schedule, try setting a 30-minute timer and simply lay down. Remember, you don't have to fall asleep for this to work.