StarStruck

Is rice healthy?

25 posts in this topic

I don't get enough carbs so I eat rice twice a week. Some people say it is unhealthy but is it? I'm eating mostly veggies and different kinds of fresh cut meats. They go great with such diet.

Depends on the kind, but it's nutritious. 

Considering the fact that it's included in some of the best diets (mediterranean), I'd say it's pretty healthy in decent quantities (I think it's about 1/3 of the plate being carbs).

But even japanese people eat a ton of rice, white mostly I think, and they still seem like a decently healthy population (Not sure what else plays a role in this tho)

It is not an allergen, nor an intestinal irritant, for the vast majority of people. It's a bit lacking in micronutrients but if the rest of your diet is high in whole foods that shouldn't be a problem.

If you really are looking for a problem, rice has a relatively high glycemic index and the AGEs generated can contribute to aging by initiating a cascade of inflammation.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

3 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

rice has a relatively high glycemic index and the AGEs generated can contribute to aging by initiating a cascade of inflammation.

Spoken like a true Ray Pete acolyte ^_^

@StarStruck as others said it depends. There are multiple variants of rice you can eat. The fibre content is imo the only factor you should be looking at. I don't know to what degree the arsenic issue is a real issue or just another phobia - time will probably show. 

Plenty of other carbohydrate types to try instead - most of the whole grains that can easily replace it are probably healthier and more nutritious. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Spoken like a true Ray Pete acolyte ^_^

:ph34r:

In truth it seems to me that ray peat does not really care about the glycemic index of foods.

7 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

In truth it seems to me that ray peat does not really care about the glycemic index of foods.

he loves his M.E.C.H.A.N.I.S.M.S. doesn't he :D Anyway, not looking for a fight here, couldn't help myself , forgive the old man ;)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

41 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

he loves his M.E.C.H.A.N.I.S.M.S. doesn't he :D Anyway, not looking for a fight here, couldn't help myself , forgive the old man ;)

Some things look good to me, others not so much. :ph34r:
If you read his works, it is sometimes particularly hypothetical and strange.

I just read his article on blood sugar and as I understand it just explains that sugar wouldn't be a problem and that the formation of AGEs is caused by the release of polyunsaturated fats under the influence cortisol, glutagon, adrenaline and stress hormones in general.

Going back to the starting point, he can take brown rice if he doesn't see any problem having eaten, I guess.
Poaceae fiber tends to be more inconvenient for the intestines.
Brown rice also has 5-AR inhibiting activity.

46 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

you read his works, it is sometimes particularly hypothetical and strange.

yeah I agree with that 

46 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

I just read his article on blood sugar and as I understand it just explains that sugar wouldn't be a problem and that the formation of AGEs is caused by the release of polyunsaturated fats under the influence cortisol, glutagon, adrenaline and stress hormones in general.

Going back to the starting point, he can take brown rice if he doesn't see any problem having eaten, I guess.
Poaceae fiber tends to be more inconvenient for the intestines.
Brown rice also has 5-AR inhibiting activity

Those may all be true. I wouldn't have a problem accepting that this is indeed what happens (for a short time), maybe 20-40 times after eating the rice. Maybe, but maybe not. 

...but

Here is the problem with this type of reasoning where it is applied in the absolutes 

1. it sounds cool so people are attracted to this like flies - everyone loves complicated pathways that suddenly explain a subjective bias they already had (e.g. "my favourite influencer said that soy causes manboobs and now I have a cool mechanism" - soy blocking AR in vitro. 
  2. those mechanisms are usually observed in-vitro or in rodent research - not humans
  3. Once we start bridging over to humans are translating short-term mechanistic speculations to humans (the way Ray does for example in the seed oil topic). Especially where the mechanistic data is superseded by large scale human evidence that often shows the opposite.

Here are some examples of that where this type of reasoning basically hits the wall 

1. CLAIM: Soy Phytoestrogen has been found in vitro to be beta-oestrogen receptor agonists as well as blockers of Androgen Receptor (AR) 
    1. MECHANISTIC CONCLUSION: Soy causes cancer and reduces testosterone (a proper mechanistic idiot will say "say turns men into soyboys  with manboobs"
    2. CONTRADTING HUMAN DATA: soy protects from cancer as shown by hundreds of thousands of ppl human data and there is no evidence of people in the highest quadrant of soy consumption to have statistically lower levels of testosterone, DHT or reduced fertility as a matter of fact. 
  2. CLAIM: Polyunsaturated fats from seed oils cause production of radical oxidative species (free radicals) in-vitro 
    1. MECHANISTIC CONCLUSION - therefore seed oils cause inflammation, cancer, ageing and heart disease 
    2. CONTRADTCTING HUMAN DATA (epidemiology and clinical data): PUFAs where replacing saturated fats reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's disease, fatty liver disease and diabetes. 
  3. CLAIM : In vitro, coffee increases the PH of the chemical solution 
    1. MECHANISTIC CLAIM: coffee acidifies the organism and causes disease 
    2. CONTRADICTING HUMAN DATA: coffee consumption has been associated with protective effects against most cancers as well as Parkinsons disease and (in moderate quantities) even against osteoporosis. 

Anyway, I'm not looking to turn this into another heated discussion :D This has been debated over and over in here and I'm sure on Ray's forum people would absolutely devour me and kick me out for these arguments. They love their mechanisms, so that's cool. I just think we need to be more responsible, at least those of us who apply this knowledge to alter the health and behaviour of other people. 

Edited by Michael569

@Michael569 

I didn't know you were on the RPF.

I had been banned for contradicting haidut and another known personality on the forum, lol.

@Schizophonia I'm not, however I've seen others to talk about it plenty of times plus I've had a sneak peak into some of his content over the years.

Enough to gauge the direction of the group

Ofcourse you were banned lmao, it's a playground for boys with wounded masculinity they don't like outsiders who don't conform 

Edited by Michael569

13 hours ago, Michael569 said:

@Schizophonia I'm not, however I've seen others to talk about it plenty of times plus I've had a sneak peak into some of his content over the years.

Enough to gauge the direction of the group

Ofcourse you were banned lmao, it's a playground for boys with wounded masculinity they don't like outsiders who don't conform 

It's mainly that the only administrator and moderator besides Blossom, Charlie, literally bans everyone he doesn't like / with whom he doesn't agree.
A guy even approached me in pm to warn me of this after one of my posts. (he also got banned later).
The site has currently become a pay-to-post site, and it seems plagued by trolls and conspiracy theorists.
Too bad.

@Schizophonia pay per post on this quackery pseudoscientific site? ??? Holy f**k i had no idea.

Talk about an unethical business model 

Rice is fine to eat, just be careful of eating it every day. 2 months ago I would eat white rice with every single meal and after some time I started to feel funny. Alternate your carbs. Brown rice is very good for you

Edited by Richard Purdy

@Schizophonia @Michael569 If anything, Ray Peat would love a high glycemic index considering he recommends table sugar as a supplement.

Rice is easy on the digestive system and therefore a great source of calories/fuel for training. It’s awesome for that.

If worried about the glycemic index, jasmine has far lower/better than basmati.

Edited by The0Self

On 16/06/2023 at 0:24 PM, Michael569 said:

@Schizophonia pay per post on this quackery pseudoscientific site? ??? Holy f**k i had no idea.

Talk about an unethical business model 

8 hours ago, The0Self said:

@Schizophonia @Michael569 If anything, Ray Peat would love a high glycemic index considering he recommends table sugar as a supplement.

Rice is easy on the digestive system and therefore a great source of calories/fuel for training. It’s awesome for that.

If worried about the glycemic index, jasmine has far lower/better than basmati.

Not that much, sucrose at a gi of 68.

How did you guys get into that technical jargon of nutrition? It is basically gibberish for me and I would like to have a basic understanding of nutritional values. 

8 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Not that much, sucrose at a gi of 68.

When I sent it I thought “oh yeah table sugar has a rather low GI doesn’t it? Oh well.” ? 

Reason I didn’t edit it is bc he seems particularly dogmatic and crazy and anyone recommending that kind of “supplement” to anyone who isn’t a world class athlete doesn’t really know what they’re doing.

I can’t remember the reason I stopped listening to him at all, but I definitely saw some kind of weird dogmatic stuff going on with him. He really doesn’t like PUFA’s… ? 

Iam eating red rice for 31 years daily. ?

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

It's probably ok for you considering it's fed the growth of multiple 1.5 billion sized civilizations lol.

hrhrhtewgfegege