eTorro

Is Reality an Illusion?

13 posts in this topic

If I have a visual experience that I describe as a red tomato a meter away, then I am inclined to believe that there is, in fact, a red tomato a meter away, even if I close my eyes.

I believe that my perceptions are, in the typical case, veridical—that they accurately depict aspects of the real world. But is my belief supported by our best science?

In particular: Does evolution by natural selection favor veridical perceptions? Many scientists and philosophers claim that it does. But this claim, though plausible, has not been properly tested.

In this talk, I present a new theorem: Veridical perceptions are never fitter than non-veridical perceptions which are tuned to the relevant fitness functions. This entails that perception is not a window to reality; it is more like a desktop interface on your laptop. I discuss this interface theory of perception and its implications for one of science's most puzzling unsolved problems: the relationship between brain activity and conscious experiences.

This is 100% wrong.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Experience is Absolute Truth.

Reality is an illusion, but not in the way Hoffman says. The illusion is the notion of any kind of physical objective substrate beyond your experience, and the notion of others or science.

You cannot unravel the illusion of reality with science. Because science is the illusion!

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The claim of an objective physical reality is a falsehood. 

That’s the illusion, of the mind.

That it’s objective and therefore true.

That’s the falsehood.

Collapse the duality between Real and Unreal.

Collapse the duality between Truth and Falsehood.

Collapse the duality between Reality and Illusion.

Collapse the duality between Love and Fear.

Collapse the duality between Love and Truth.

All is One.

I really like the idea of the Evolution of Consciousness. If you take the Quantum Wave Function of The Universe to be consciousness on every level (which I do), then you would expect natural selection to take place within every facet of Reality, not just in biological organisms. From what I can tell, Consciousness selects for greater Awareness of Love in each and every moment, even if the organism is not aware of this process yet.

Life loves Life. Life loves Consciousness. In order to fully love life, life must first survive, so it is at first apparent, from an outsider's perspective, that natural selection selects for survival, even if all the organism knows firsthand is the contrast between Love and fear, always seeking for the Love in each moment, a seeking we call instinct.

Then, Consciousness selects for greater self-awareness. The more aware an organism is, the more love it can experience. Still, the organism first-hand selects only for those experiences that contain the most love, and moves away from experiences that cause fear.

Once Life has reached the level of self-awareness of humans; We have a choice in our evolutionary path, to either seek greater Awareness of Pure Unconditional Love in each moment, directly and intentionally (The Dao; the spiritual way is the essence of evolution), OR to continue evolving in only self-awareness, seeking only the mirage of love; wealth, fame, fortune, material and finite things. The former recognizes the Love in All Beings and shares Love selflessly, the latter seeks Love for only itself.

Eventually, all beings will come to recognize the Oneness of All Being and Unify in their seeking, seeing that the duality between Love and Fear was an illusion the entire time, recognizing that even fear is only the inverted form of Love, and ceases to fear Fear, and instead chooses to love Fear for what it is: Love. We choose to go through life and enjoy it, even if it seems like a thriller movie at times, we still love every bit of it, because...

Life is Love. We Are Love.

This moment contains Love; You Are This Love.

Seek and Find the Love in each moment; this is the very essence of Evolution.

Edited by tuku747

what you now see is relative reality, everyone everything separate arising passing limited

this isn't the real deal, the absolute reality

relative reality is a manifestation of absolute reality, an overlay on absolute reality, a physical snapshot of absolute reality

spirituality is the journey from the relative to the absolute

to get there turn from out to in and rest in the source which is another word for the absolute

this replaces thought with awareness

this kills the relative you and opens the absolute you

23 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

what you now see is relative reality, everyone everything separate arising passing limited

this isn't the real deal, the absolute reality

Do you see how you just created a duality by rejecting the relative? The relative is The Absolute.

Look at Your Hand. This is The Actual. This is The Absolute.

Edited by tuku747

2 minutes ago, tuku747 said:

Do you see how you just created a duality by rejecting the relative? The relative is The Absolute.

Look at Your Hand. This is The Actual. This is The Absolute.

you are talking from the absolute, that doesnt help the 99% stuck in the relative

Is Reality an illusion?

A small issue on nomenclature comes to play here. B|

If "reality" is meant to be these 3 + 1 dimensions called time and space, then YES! 

If "reality" is meant to be infinite consciousness, then no. Your definition will make people tear up with joy every night when they understand this too. 

People will have different definitions for what they call "reality" based on what paradigm they're on.

It's okay if this is a hard thing to understand at first, but luckily you can start to let go on unnecessary narratives that run your life by asking yourself " No matter Where you go, who you lose, who you gain, what you lose, or what you gain, what doesn't change?" It doesn't change the fact that you are here to create new experiences - exploring the world and cultivating it in your own way.

Edited by Dmari

reality as we perceive it is limits. the limits are not real, they are apparent, reality, truly, is infinite. then it could be said that things are made in such a way that our perception of reality is illusory

"There's only what seems to be happening"

- Jim Newman 

♥ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

19 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

reality as we perceive it is limits. the limits are not real, they are apparent, reality, truly, is infinite. then it could be said that things are made in such a way that our perception of reality is illusory

You created limits to transcend them. How genius is that!?

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI