Basman

Advice for dealing with intrusive thoughts?

13 posts in this topic

I sometimes get funny little thoughts that are uncomfortable, upsetting, etc. Everybody deals with those to lesser or bigger degrees. They are normal.

Just wondering, how do you guys deal with intrusive thoughts? What are the pro strats, I.E. the most efficient methods you've found to help with intrusive thoughts.

Tai Chi

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Have you considered if you might have OCD? I have it. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@Basman Imo, accept them as part of your shadow, and try and find a way to process them. For example, a depth psychotherapy and/ or meditation.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

"Thanks for coming, bye"

Edited by UnbornTao

@Basman lol you will never get rid of thoughts. you just need to stop disliking them and understand right effort. you are putting to much wrong effort in from a basis of hatred (aversion) it's just a matter of understanding. only meditation is the answer. @UnbornTao is on the right page

> abandonment of unwholesome states, cultivation of wholesome states, preservation of pre-existing wholesome states. that is correct effort

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

On 1/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, UnbornTao said:

"Thanks for coming, bye"

Love this. My therapist also recommended to speak to my intrusive thoughts like that. Master trolling at its finest

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

2 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

i think using this on anorexic patients might be problematic.

They've specifically mentioned anorexia nervosa as a valid use case of the technique:

Additionally, according to the American Journal of
Psychiatry, PI was applied to see if would help chronic anorexia nervosa. They discovered that patients treated with PI showed successful outcomes. Therefore, they recommended further studies.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

On 14/01/2023 at 2:42 AM, Ulax said:

@Basman Imo, accept them as part of your shadow, and try and find a way to process them. For example, a depth psychotherapy and/ or meditation.

@Basman This.

A really good beginner's exercise to calm down those thoughts, is doing parts work.

Ignore Teal's mumbo-jumbo explanation and just pull up different chairs and give those thoughts a voice.

The discomfort and restlessness comes from the fact that there's different, disagreeing streams of thought.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/