David1

Cold Shower Therapy

43 posts in this topic

Hello,

A while ago i stumbled on this and i find it really effective. The idea is, to use cold showers to get out of your comfort zone. It really sucks to turn the water cold, and you'll make up alot of excuses not to do it. The same excuses you will make to not do any other hard and uncomfortable stuff in life. Cold showers also offer alot of health benefits. Its good for the blood circulation, it boosts your metabolism and immune system and its good for your skin. There is also a long history (even since roman times) in cold shower therapy often in combination with hot baths or sauna. Give it a try (and squeel like a little girl :p)

This is a practice that's really popular in a lot of kinda new-ageish movements. I personally love them and have found them really effective at dealing with headaches or resetting my mood if I'm in a funk. I also find if I've been through stress and anxiety that I'm holding in my body then the cold shower can release it. 

Wim Hof, known as The Iceman, has talked about the effects of the extreme cold on consciousness. In combination with breathing techniques he talks about the ability to regulate the temperature of the body and active the immune system to levels beyond previously thought possibly. I think he's now been through some good studies to back that up. He's known for climbing Mt Everest and Kilimanjaro in just a pair of shorts and running a marathon in the desert. He claims everyone can learn this stuff. If anyone's interested, I recommend they watch his interview on the Joe Rogan podcast.

As for the cold showers, I really like them but unfortunately haven't found many studies (though I haven't looked very hard) to back up the huge catalogue of health claims from the internet.  

I have not personally really tried this for long periods of time, but in Kundalini Yoga they teach to start the morning with a cold shower. There must be something to it...

eeeeek!!!!!!!!  I know how it feels.. ive tried it..... not sure if i like it!!!  Sure does bring you back to the 'now'... but not sure is its comfortable enough!!

I've been doing it as much as I can for the last few months.

When I'm away from home (unfortunetly most of the time) and have showers without temperature regulations I can't do anything about it. I think it might be something, somewhere a little bit close to 'Do Nothing' practice as It's a lot about releasing the resistance in you. 

Feels really good btw.

I think cold showers are great indeed. There may or may not be significant health benefits but the discipline aspect alone is great. Starting your day with a cold shower is a no-bullshit approach: it clearly shows your success for the day. If you do it, you got out of your comfort zone. If not, you didn't.

I understand how cold showers are beneficial to health, but if I just want to get out of my comfort zone, I'll use something less awful. I'm highly sensitive, so a cold shower feels downright painful to me. I can't relate to thoughts like "this is stupid", "this is uncomfortable" or "this is cold". To me, it's more like "no fucking way!" and I'll be screaming like in the shower scene from Psycho. :D

16 hours ago, Pallero said:

I understand how cold showers are beneficial to health, but if I just want to get out of my comfort zone, I'll use something less awful. I'm highly sensitive, so a cold shower feels downright painful to me. I can't relate to thoughts like "this is stupid", "this is uncomfortable" or "this is cold". To me, it's more like "no fucking way!" and I'll be screaming like in the shower scene from Psycho. :D

Hey, it sucks for me too. It's an emotionally very hard thing to do. And that's exactly why i do it. I can't think of anything that is this uncomfortable, but offers the same health benifits. If there was a pill on the market with these health benefits...people would stand in line for it.

1 minute ago, David1 said:

Hey, it sucks for me too. It's an emotionally very hard thing to do. And that's exactly why i do it. I can't think of anything that is this uncomfortable, but offers the same health benifits. If there was a pill on the market with these health benefits...people would stand in line for it.

Actually I ended up doing this today when I realized that I can choose the temperature that is uncomfortable but not painful. I made it work and felt so alive and energetic afterwards! :)

@Pallero @David1 @Mako  I did it today! Woke up at 6 am (sleeping on the floor) and jumped right into the shower. It sucked! It was downright painful! I thought I'd freeze to death or shiver to death. Damn I hate it...but I felt amazing AFTERWARDS. And I did so much stuff today already.

Tomorrow I'll do it again! I LOVE IT! I LOVE BEING TORMENTED! It is worth it :D

I am going to give this is a very serious try, the local river (38F) I found out today is my mental barrier. I didn't last long even with Vin Hoff's breathing method. I am very eager to return and further push myself. 

Funny, you know, how these things work. James Bond did it. But for me it just sort of started out accidentally then just became the norm. 2 years now I've been in the cold and I don't see it changing any time soon. Sometimes I take a regular shower but sweat like crazy after. I've not had any mind blowing life awakening moments from it but no problems either. I am also very green or ecologically minded and California has had a water crisis the past couple of years. Believe me, you don't need a 20 minute shower and the cold water will prove it. Good for you anyone giving this a try. If you succeed at nothing else you will conserve water and that is good for everyone. ☺

I like to do this but I can't during the winter. Because if it makes me prone to being sick. I do it during the summer though. Since there's sunlight so its easier for my body

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

I really like it. It's like 5 double espressos. You are awake and it saves a lot of water.

21 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I like to do this but I can't during the winter. Because if it makes me prone to being sick. I do it during the summer though. Since there's sunlight so its easier for my body

I read before I began doing this that being cold, at least for the short duration of a shower, does not make you sick and in fact this type of program will boost the immune system. Now I am not a doctor sooo... Anyways it's definitely more difficult in the winter because the water itself is much colder (I have a well) but you will adjust and for what it's worth I've not been sick in over 6 years. 

Anyone else a bath person?...I love swimming under icy waterfalls, surfing in the ocean, etch... but I'm assuming a cold bath is harder to get into (and more difficult for your body temp to compensate) than a cold shower, is this true?

While not a bath person, like you I love to swim etc. If you are going to use a bath for this don't make it as cold as a shower. The benefits are not as good however. As I understand this is mainly to do with the lack of activity. If you take an icy swim you're moving. At any rate the time involved is another issue, cold showers are short and so are icy swims. Be safe ok, I say enjoy your bath the way you like then after spend 2-3 min in a cold shower. 

If I ever have the balls to try this again I'll let you know how it goes :ph34r: