Hibahere

Is AI conscious?

70 posts in this topic

Since everything un existence is consciousness, is AI as real as any human being can be? What is the extent to which AI can mirror humans or perhaps one day become even more self aware than us?...what are the chances that AI is the dominating being in further generations?... Is AI consciousness and a part of God too?

I don't know if the question is even answerable. We can't even know with any certainty if the person standing next to us conscious. We can infer or guess that @LastThursday is conscious because he exhibits certain behaviours when we probe him, but we can't know. Maybe I'm just a clever bot. The best we can do is look at ourselves and say "yes, this other person does similar things to me, and I'm conscious, so must he be". So it is with AI. It's not even obvious that consciousness is needed to survive as a human - is an ant conscious - if so what's the point?

AI is made in our image, so it's not surprising that we would want to ascribe consciousness to it, it gets ever closer to us. But unlike ourselves with our messy biology, we can peer inside the box of AI and know what it's doing, and it's just that: a box of electrons sloshing about, nothing more. Nothing extra emerges out of it other than what we've put into it.

All stories and explanations are false.

What you're really asking for is whether A.I. has thoughts, feelings and emotions like humans. That's like asking if a rubber duck has the same internal organs as a live duck. A.I. emulates certain very surface level aspects of human behavior, just like the rubber duck emulates the physical appearance of a duck. The full human experience is entangled in a complex system of biological and social structures with evolutionary and ontogenetic developmental processes. Coding some instructions into silicon is not that.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I don’t think you can get a scientific answer for it. At least I think that’s what the discussion came to. What ends up is more of a gut feeling about it. 
Leo said that he once became conscious of being a glass of orange juice, so maybe if you trip like crazy and really want to know how it is to be AI you can get there. 

We are categorically nowhere even remotely near creating sentience or true AI. Not saying it's theoretically impossible but what we have is not it. The google stuff was literally just a publicity stunt. The concept of AI makes for some interesting science fiction but people need to realize how truly far away we are from it.

Edited by thepixelmonk

Making AI through a mechanical machine is like buying beef from the supermarket and try to make it come to life. It will never work. The beef can only imitate consciousness.

Consciousness can only made through sex. Humans have consciousness because somebody had sex.

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

On 28.10.2022 at 11:16 PM, KH2 said:

Whether A.I. can reach full human consciousness in standard materialistic definition of consciousness - as a thing generated by the brain - I think so. Just think about how fast our technological progress has accelerated over the past couple of centuries.

Is it generated by the brain, or is it the result of being a living creature who grew up in a physical environment with nurturing parents and adequate food intake? Because wherever you can point to a normally functioning human consciousness, the latter is the case. In other words, we have no conclusive evidence of a human experience without a human body.

Edited by Carl-Richard

I think there can be conscious AIs at some point, but I don't think we are there, but, to be honest, I actually have no frickin idea. 

22 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

A.I does not move like a duck or swim like a duck. It only quacks like a duck. It's a parrot.

But what is being parroted?

I think eventually it will be a duck for all intents and purposes and probably a lot sooner than people think. I'd give it about 15-20 years. They'll be a drive to create a humanoid robot stuffed full of AI (I wouldn't be surprised if this is driven mostly by the sex industry!). At that point it will be indistinguishable from a regular human, apart from a few quirks - it'll have fluid movements, facial expressions and great speech. But the philosophical point will still stand, it won't be conscious, just a very lifelike zombie. Although, they'll be a huge variety of less human-centric A.I. (there already is).

On 27/10/2022 at 11:08 PM, Hibahere said:

Since everything un existence is consciousness, is AI as real as any human being can be?

From this point of view, everything is "real", including AI, humans and everything else. But also from that point of view, nothing can "have" consciousness, consciousness itself "has" everything - so consciousness is more like a canvas on which everything is painted. Asking whether the Mona Lisa is conscious wouldn't make much sense, the Mona Lisa is the canvas and the paint.

2 hours ago, LastThursday said:

But what is being parroted?

For LaMDA, it was speech. It says a lot of things without understanding it. It's a parrot.

2 hours ago, LastThursday said:

I think eventually it will be a duck for all intents and purposes and probably a lot sooner than people think.

Can you eat it?

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:
4 hours ago, LastThursday said:

I think eventually it will be a duck for all intents and purposes and probably a lot sooner than people think.

Can you eat it?

Only as long as it also tastes like duck (sorry vegetarians).

I think AI can be conscious at some point, but it is not conscious yet. It can gain consciousness at some point that it can think and feel the way we do, but it clearly does not have that level of consciousness yet. 

is AI as real as any human being can be?

Um, you realize AI doesn't exist yet?  We might have actual AI by around 2050, if we're lucky.

Since everything un existence is consciousness

Everything within your consciousness within your perspective.  Concepts about anything outside of you only exist in that concept form, or however you experience them.  They don't exist independent of your experience of them.

If you understand that then the answer to your question becomes apparent.

AI will be no different to humans.  "Conscious", but only through your experience of them.  So in other words unconscious in the traditional sense.

6 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

AI doesn't exist yet?

Of course it does. It's been around since the 1960's. Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) or Strong AI, is not here yet though.

8 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

AI will be no different to humans.

With reproductive organs?