museumoftrees

could all humans be wealthy simultaneously ?

16 posts in this topic

I'm wondering, would there be a setting in which it's possible for all or almost all humans on the globe to be rich at the same time ?

We already are, relative to caveman days.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

One of the fundamental issues is that there are likely always going to be jobs that people don't want to do, that need to be done. E.g. sanitation, food production, and so on. Such a utopia couldn't exist without replacing these jobs almost completely with machinery and robotics.

I'm a millionaire but I still clean my own toilet.

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I'm a millionaire

Want

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Relative to what OP? If you're asking if we can all be Elon Musk wealthy. No. Not only is it unsustainable at an environmental level but our present system requires non-wealthy people to exploit.

@museumoftrees I was reading in the book which I just finished called “The Psychology of money” that compares to ancient times… people are very equal now. We have the same phones, clothes, computers, access to books, etc

◭"89"

Being rich is relative. I think what Leo is trying to point at is that if you change the definition or the perspective a little and ta-daa it turns out we are already in that setting.

If you want more nuanced answer try more nuanced question that considers relativity.

@Leo Gura

''I'm wondering, would there be a setting in which it's possible for all or almost all humans on the globe in my lifetime to be rich as you at the same time?

Dont bother its no lol

6 minutes ago, Zedman said:

''I'm wondering, would there be a setting in which it's possible for all or almost all humans on the globe in my lifetime to be rich as you at the same time?

Dont bother its no lol

You have to understand that being rich is highly relative. Relative is more than just one way. The only reason I can be as rich as I am is because other people are poor. If this situation equalized my wealth would lose its relative value.

A significant aspect of being rich is simply this: I can do what most cannot do. As soon as most people can do what I do, I stop being rich.

Edited by Leo Gura

17 hours ago, museumoftrees said:

I'm wondering, would there be a setting in which it's possible for all or almost all humans on the globe to be rich at the same time ?

Relatively speaking, no.

Rich is only defined in terms of poor. If no one is poor, no one is rich.

Think about it. You're probably imaging a world where everyone has yachts and private jets and has a butler. But if everyone had a yacht and private jet, you would no longer see these things as indications of being "rich". Just like you don't think about the fact that having electricity makes you impossibly rich compared to primitive man.

Also, if everyone has a butler, who is going to take the job as a butler???

That all being said, we can raise the general standard of living for everyone. We've already done this to large extent in the developed world.

Edited by aurum

Thats what communism aimed to do and failed because of how self serving we all are, the ones in power were the worst has they had control of it all

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

Sadhguru: "Life will never be fair. But do you want life to be fair or fantastic?"

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I'm a millionaire but I still clean my own toilet.

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

I think eventually, and it may take a really long time, there will be enough wealth on this planet to support all humans to live minimalist lives with basic social services and not have to work.  Over time the 'poverty line' will be raised though so poorer people in the future will be living much better than many today.  Poverty is a social construct although suffering caused by deficiency is not.

@Topspin715 The problem with that is: We need things to get done. There’s never gonna be a time humans don’t need certain things to get done. So we pay people to do them.

◭"89"