Someone here

Please help me quit smoking!

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

he willpower works when there is a wish or  desire to leave the smoking. here to leave the smoking is not the desire.it is not the wish

I guess the question is then, what's the point of this thread. There is no easy way out. You will have to suffer your way out of it unless you just want to become addicted to something else as a rebound. I agree with @UnbornTao . Any therapy that does not force you to face your demons and promises easy way out is just a waste of money. Ignore if this doesn't resonate 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

10 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

I guess the question is then, what's the point of this thread. There is no easy way out. You will have to suffer your way out of it unless you just want to become addicted to something else as a rebound. I agree with @UnbornTao . Any therapy that does not force you to face your demons and promises easy way out is just a waste of money. Ignore if this doesn't resonate 

sorry I didn't clarify ..Because that's not how I feel . That's ONLY  half the story . In the back of my mind I'm of course anxious about the damage I'm doing to my body and health . So I'm split off into two different islands. One that doesn't give a shit and just wants to smoke like there is no tomorrow. And one that deep down knows that this is not the right thing for me to do . Which one I gonna win ? I don't know .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

On 10/29/2022 at 1:50 PM, Someone here said:

The willpower works when there is a wish or  desire to leave the smoking. here to leave the smoking is not the desire.it is not the wish. every smoker's inner desire is to continue smoking. so the willpower doesn't work

Stop bringing cigarettes to your mouth, despite your motivation to the contrary. That's what it takes, fundamentally.

Wishing is superficial; it isn't a serious commitment to act on it. Intent is what allows an action to happen. Intent arises with action.

If you truly intend to quit, make it happen, no matter what excuses your mind makes up. Granted, the motivation will still be there but you can refrain from acting on it.

Edited by UnbornTao

Hey man I empathize with you because I’ve been wanting to quit vaping (I jumped from cigs to vaping a few years back). I’ve tried cold turkey and apparently I’m one of the few people who get horrible anxiety and mild hallucinations from nicotine withdrawals, so I know how hard it is to jump. I seriously recommend you get some nicotine patches and find something that can occupy your mouth and hands like leo said. 

with the patches, don’t think of it as another vice. You gotta change your mindset to “I’m fucking ready to quit, no matter what happens”. You need to set yourself up for success, you’ve already tried quitting before so you won’t be blindsided by anything this time

hoped that helps at all! Good luck man you got this!!

On 10/29/2022 at 8:50 AM, LSD-Rumi said:

@Someone here It is not an SSRI. It works in another unique way by modulating a receptor called NMDA. It doesn't cause ED or decrease libido.

If you’re talking about bupropion, that’s not correct. It’s a NDRI — like an SNRI but with dopamine instead of serotonin. And yeah it actually can increase libido.

If you were taking about ibogaine, yeah it modulates NMDA… but that’s not all it does… it’s basically a dissociative-psychedelic-deliriant; triple-hallucinogen. But its novel effect is that it can heal opioid receptors in some way, and those are connected with many addictions, most particularly painkillers and alcohol, but it has some overlap with dopamine receptor healing, so theoretically it could help any addiction.

1 hour ago, The0Self said:

you’re talking about bupropion, that’s not correct. It’s a NDRI — like an SNRI but with dopamine instead of serotonin

Yeah, my mistake.

There's no easy fix to eliminate the cravings... you just need to sit there and let them be, without acting on them. Present moment awareness really helps with any craving or sensation.

Edited by sholomar

On 10/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, OBEler said:

Reset your receptors with ibogain

Is there any evidence that ibogaine resets receptors for nicotine? Have not heard of that.

Btw, I will have an ibogaine trip report in my new course.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Qigong has helped me quit smoking weet

and theres a lot of articles and books being written on it

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

57 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Qigong has helped me quit smoking weet

and theres a lot of articles and books being written on it

What is a good source to learn it from?

In Tate we trust

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Is there any evidence that ibogaine resets receptors for nicotine? Have not heard of that.

Btw, I will have an ibogaine trip report in my new course.

It’s just opioid receptors but those are tied into the final common addiction pathway of dopaminergic neurons. Btw cigarette addiction is not primarily nicotine addiction, it’s MAOI/harmaline addiction — that’s not super well known but reasonable philosophy will lead anyone (especially if they smoked and vaped) to this conclusion.

Looking forward to it! Heard it’s quite possibly the most intense entheogen there is.