Someone here

Please help me quit smoking!

51 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I'm making excuses because i haven’t decided to quit smoking, I've decided to try to quit smoking. the “try” is actually a backdoor through which my excuses come. As Yoda says “do or don’t do there is no try”. So here’s what i think I should do: make a decision to actually quit smoking, and COMMIT to it. So basically, quit or quit quitting.

Hit the nail on the head right here. Really is just a simple but firm conscious decision at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Because its ruining my heath ,obviously. 

I know smoking is bad for the health. I'm asking why do YOU want to quit.

You're not gonna make a firm decision if you don't have a strong, PERSONAL why. You have to be incredibly conscious of your motivation in order to persevere.

Edited by Sincerity

12 hours ago, thepixelmonk said:

Hit the nail on the head right here. Really is just a simple but firm conscious decision at the end of the day.

But I can't make that decision.  I tried many times in the past .I keep coming back . Sometimes I spend half an hour hesitating ,"should I put this cigarette in my mouth or not ". And I end up smoking it .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

11 hours ago, Sincerity said:

I know smoking is bad for the health. I'm asking why do YOU want to quit.

You're not gonna make a firm decision if you don't have a strong, PERSONAL why. You have to be incredibly conscious of your motivation in order to persevere.

My motivation is to heal my Lungs which are severely damaged due to years of smoking .I can actually feel the burning sensation in my chest . And I'm afraid to catch a throat cancer or lungs cancer or heart attack etc . So many reasons to quit . But they all boil down to saving my health .

-Osho

This guys channel is good, many good videos. He was addicted to nicotine and weed and now works with helping people quit addiction.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:27 PM, Someone here said:

I always fail at the 2 weeks mark.  Because I don't know what to do without a cigarette in my mouth .I do everything while smoking.  If I'm taking a walk ,I smoked. If I study, I smoke .etc 

You need to find a replacement. Lollipop, vape, toothpick, gum, etc.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There is an antidepressant called bupropion used to help people with smoking addiction. 

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You need to find a replacement. Lollipop, vape, toothpick, gum, etc.

I'm  afraid There ’s no real alternative . I used nicotine chewing gum once before but even the mild types  gave me headaches.

I tried vaping of course . It doesn't smell as good as a fine ciggy. It is not for me, not for me though as it irritates my throat and I’m actually concerned at how much nicotine it is possible to vape in the course of a day. I heard that the liquid used in vapes is more damaging and dangerous than the toxins in regular cigarettes. Is that correct?

The only sure-fire way is to just hard stop. It’s tough. And I don't know how to do that yet .
And also I don't want to especially replace it with sugar (you mentioned lollipops) because I'm beginning to gain a weight and grow a belly and I'm trying to clean up my diet (how ironic ?)  and lean down.

-Osho

9 hours ago, OBEler said:

Reset your receptors with ibogain

5 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

There is an antidepressant called bupropion used to help people with smoking addiction. 

15 minutes ago, Tahuti said:

I already said this.... Welbutrin is Bupropion. Welbutrin(brand-name bupropion) is far superior to its generic. This has been proved in clinical studies...

OK. Might try to get some and test it out . Any possible effects to be mindful of ?

-Osho

OK. Might try to get some and test it out . Any possible effects to be mindful of ?

It is very well tolerated with minimal side effects (no sexual side effects and no weight gain). You may experience increased energy and some people may experience some anxiety while in others it relieves anxiety. It adds up well to other antidepressants because it works on NDMA receptor not serotonin, so no serious interaction.

It can cause high blood pressure in a small percentage of people.

1 hour ago, Tahuti said:

I already said this.... Welbutrin is Bupropion. Welbutrin(brand-name bupropion) is far superior to its generic. This has been proved in clinical studies...

Yeah, the extended release version is better.

Stop doing it. Seriously. 

Be willing to go through the momentary withdrawal symptoms. 

1 minute ago, LSD-Rumi said:

It is very well tolerated with minimal side effects (no sexual side effects and no weight gain). You may experience increased energy and some people may experience some anxiety while in others it relieves anxiety. It adds up well to other antidepressants because it works on NDMA receptor not serotonin, so no serious interaction.

It can cause high blood pressure in a small percentage of people.

Sounds good . So it is unlike other antidepressants that come with a huge list of bad side effects. And I'm especially worried about the erectile dysfunction thing lol.

What family of drugs is it?  Because Most prescription antidepressants are part of a drug family called SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). They work on  raising levels of serotonin in the body but unfortunately It prevents the hormones that cause our bodies to respond to sex from transmitting their message to our brains.

Also, how exactly does it help with quitting smoking? 

-Osho

@Someone here It is not an SSRI. It works in another unique way by modulating a receptor called NMDA. It doesn't cause ED or decrease libido.

11 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

Stop doing it. Seriously. 

Be willing to go through the momentary withdrawal symptoms. 

The willpower works when there is a wish or  desire to leave the smoking. here to leave the smoking is not the desire.it is not the wish. every smoker's inner desire is to continue smoking. so the willpower doesn't work

-Osho

1 minute ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@Someone here It is not an SSRI. It works in another unique way by modulating a receptor called NMDA. It doesn't cause ED or decrease libido.

OK good news . Can I get it from any pharmacy without a prescription? Or does it require my therapist's prescription? 

-Osho

OK good news . Can I get it from any pharmacy without a prescription? Or does it require my therapist's prescription? 

Typically you don't but I don't know how things works in your country. 

18 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Typically you don't but I don't know how things works in your country. 

I think it does require a doctor's prescription like other anti-psychotic drugs . 

So I'm gonna ask my therapist to prescribe it to me .

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Osho