StarStruck

Boxing a good sport?

41 posts in this topic

On 16/09/2022 at 7:17 PM, EdgeGod900 said:

@AtheisticNonduality Bro. I know this is a spritual forum so everything is viewed in the lense of Spiritual > Everything else (generally). But you have no clue how hard it is to control your adrenaline while also being able to think clearly when reading your opponent's movement.

Boxing requires a lot of mind games. There is this term by a boxing coach, "countering the counter punch" And this loop of counter punching continous forever.

Not to mention you have to study your opponent's body language when you hit them and whether or not you capitalize on it.

There are so many complexities in boxing, I only mentioned a couple, so don't say that dancing or your woo woo kundalini bs is better.

Obviously it's bad in the long run but you have to realize how complex it is.

@EdgeGod900 I think its likely an example of the dunning kruger effect from them. I can imagine why people would doubt the complexity of it.

I find that to be one of the key beauties of Boxing. The ability to bring such order to apparent chaos.

This video is something that comes to mind for me when I think about an example of boxing bring such order to chaos:

I feel in awe because it meets my need for beauty. Also, the vid, especially in combination with the backing track, gets me hyped!

Rn Mayweather is my favourite boxer.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

On 15-9-2022 at 10:33 AM, Ulax said:

Imo, ye boxing has some really useful aspects to it. I myself competed various times when I was younger.

If taken seriously, I don't think any other sport gives you the same level of fighting mindset.

However, instantly I'm getting a red flag from your current gym. You say you haven't boxed for a while and go to one session at this new gym where you get punched a lot in the head. And that the other lads don't hold back. That doesn't sound like smart or healthy training to me. These other guys should be holding back. Respectable gyms will instruct their boxers to work with newbies.

I've been to a fair few clubs and have consistently found that clubs that are run in the way I think yours are are both unsafe and counter-intuitively not very good at teaching boxing. I've seen a dude end up with a brain bleed in the ICU from one of them.

So, I'd advise checking out another gym.

Btw, imo, if you wanna get really good at boxing, put a lot of deliberate practice into learning technique and ringcraft. Precision striking has some gold videos.

There is one 1 that didn't hold back. All the other guys were sympathetic towards me and careful to me as a beginner. I'm not a total beginner though: I have experience with fighting sports.

All the gyms are the same though, there are always few pricks that don't hold back or want to show off to beginners or to their peers.

On 16-9-2022 at 0:22 AM, Danioover9000 said:

@StarStruck

YES! But only for drilling in techniques and shadow boxing. I wouldn't turn pro.

I wouldn't turn pro anyway.

Boxing class is like this:

40 minutes drilling and exercises

20 minutes sparring.. and I got roughed up in the last 20 minutes.

At this gym, they also give MMA and BJJ which is more wrestling and not punching and kicking. I was thinking: doing boxing/kickboxing one week per month and those other times of the month MMA and BJJ

On 16-9-2022 at 5:21 PM, AtheisticNonduality said:

@Danioover9000 Pretty sure something like dancing or kundalini awakening is a more perfect expression of kinesthetic intelligence, not getting punched in the head.

I'm also dancing to develop my soft side. To develop my hard side I want to fight. :)

On 15-9-2022 at 11:49 AM, Epikur said:

I had a good plan to solve the sparring risk. I used a belly protector and said to my partner he should not punch my head. Well he did it and he disfigured my nose. That was the last time I did sparring but as an idea I think it was a practical one.

You have a big nose then?

Edited by StarStruck

Boxing is cool and all but Brazilian jui jitsus is where it’s at ;) 

And no repeated bashing to the head 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@Ulax If I had the chance to be a boxer and made money from it, I would be like mayweather. The guy rarely gets hit, so not only is he outscoring his opponents he also won't get brain damage in the long run.

But yeah, I love his counter punching. Especially the "pull counter" he did against marquez. Other exciting boxers are, Crawford, Teofimo, and Inoue. 

Edited by EdgeGod900

God likes to cosplay as a human O.o xDxD

@EdgeGod900

51 minutes ago, EdgeGod900 said:

@Ulax If I had the chance to be a boxer and made money from it, I would be like mayweather. The guy rarely gets hit, so not only is he outscoring his opponents he also won't get brain damage in the long run.

But yeah, I love his counter punching. Especially the "pull counter" he did against marquez. Other exciting boxers are, Crawford, Teofimo, and Inoue. 

It's not just the head concussions and cumulative brain damage you have to worry about, it's also damages to the ears or eyes, nose, jaw and throat and potential neck injury in the muscle of disk, it's the hits to the body, and which organ gets the repeated concussion, and the possibility of fracturing your hand while punching, and being hit hard and repeatedly on the arms that it would damage muscle, ligaments, tendons, or if the hit is hard enough, bruise or fracture bone on impact. Also, nerve damage is a possibility, look at Rocky Marciano and what his other opponents have to say about the numbness they felt getting their arms battered.

9 hours ago, EdgeGod900 said:

Hit and don't get hit! I think the mayweather approach is goated.

And Yoooo I absolutely love the pull counter!! I used to try and train it when sparring, only managed it one time. But was pretty excited when I did!

I rate Crawford too and inoue. Haven't heard of Teofimo

Be-Do-Have

17 hours ago, StarStruck said:

There is one 1 that didn't hold back. All the other guys were sympathetic towards me and careful to me as a beginner. I'm not a total beginner though: I have experience with fighting sports.

Ohhhh fairs, i thought it was most of the dudes tryna beat on you

Be-Do-Have

@Danioover9000 i agree. I recieved many punches to the head. Even knocked out a few times. I stopped for a few years and then get injured by my work as a gardener by lifting heavy objects and wrecked my schoulder. If your not competing your not gonna recieve much damage bot even from heavy sparring. You can check yourself by a doctor every year. Youre ok ?

@King Merk

On 9/18/2022 at 6:56 AM, King Merk said:

Boxing is cool and all but Brazilian jui jitsus is where it’s at ;) 

And no repeated bashing to the head 

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is no worse off. Common injuries in sparring and tournament matches are: Joint dislocations on the elbows, shoulders, and knees. Partial to complete joint dislocations to the fingers, due to gripping too hard, not letting go at the right time. Spinal disk impeachment from being stacked too hard. Increases in stroke and capillary bruising due to applying choke holds, at volume and sometimes at higher intensity, also risks of neck whiplash and other neck injuries.

@KH2

1 minute ago, KH2 said:

Literaly every sport has it's injuries, except maybe if you're playing some boring shit like golf.

Such a pointless topic.

Nope, even golf has it's set of injuries, which are: ligament tear or partial joint dislocation of the pinky or ring finger if held too hard and hitting the ground too hard. Bruised or sun burnt skin if you don't wear a golf glove. Getting hit on the head by a golf ball, while an uncommon event, can and does happen. It happened to my Dad on the golf course, thank goodness it wasn't serious. On the driving range, beginners might hit the golf ball too hard, it bounces and sometimes ricochet off the metal framings, hitting a person. Plus throwing the golf club due to too relaxed grip and slippery surface of the golf handle.

That's all the accidents, which doesn't include intentional harm done by golf clubs. 

@KH2

6 minutes ago, KH2 said:

Literaly every sport has it's injuries, except maybe if you're playing some boring shit like golf.

Such a pointless topic.

Not so pointless of a topic. In fact, this is one way to determine which sport is higher or lower consciousness: what are the probabilities of getting injured often, is what makes a sport lower or higher conscious. Maybe this is one factor that's very important, because we only have one body, we can't body swap yet.

@KH2

1 minute ago, KH2 said:

Eh

Call me low conscious then

xD Don't be mad, it's just one of many factors to consider. You do what activities you find naturally appealing to you, that resonates with you. I'm just saying that tai chi or the Yoga stuff will come to you sooner or later, and you'll naturally do less of the more stressful combat sports or sport activities you do currently.

It's possible to critic a field out of good faith, while being involved in that field to some degree.

58 minutes ago, KH2 said:

Such a pointless topic.

Golf ball to the face and you're dead.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Fighting sport is an excellent way to develop the warrior archetype (warrior spirit). After 1 session I already carry myself different.

Putting yourself to hardships brings you injury but injury brings you character. You just have to be careful that it won't be chronic lasting injury. It is the person you become at the end.

If you are into boxing, not only your capacity to defend yourself will increase, it will influence other aspects of your life, because the warrior archetype is connected to the Self. Especially weasely guys will do good to take some boxing classes, and those are exactly the guys who will weasel out.

The thing is that once you do some fighting sport the chances of you getting in a fight is much smaller. People just don't fuck with you if they know you can cause destruction onto them. To bring peace, prepare for war. Only high conscious stage yellow chads will understand that.

I just did my first kickboxing class last week. It was really fun and empowering. Definitely worth developing those type of abilities. There is an authentic and paradoxically feminine aspect of holding and allowing one’s masculine essence of aggression to be expressed that felt quite healing and energizing for me. 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

@StarStruck

3 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Fighting sport is an excellent way to develop the warrior archetype (warrior spirit). After 1 session I already carry myself different.

Putting yourself to hardships brings you injury but injury brings you character. You just have to be careful that it won't be chronic lasting injury. It is the person you become at the end.

If you are into boxing, not only your capacity to defend yourself will increase, it will influence other aspects of your life, because the warrior archetype is connected to the Self. Especially weasely guys will do good to take some boxing classes, and those are exactly the guys who will weasel out.

The thing is that once you do some fighting sport the chances of you getting in a fight is much smaller. People just don't fuck with you if they know you can cause destruction onto them. To bring peace, prepare for war. Only high conscious stage yellow chads will understand that.

Speaking of yellow chads:

6 hours ago, StarStruck said:

But with yoga you can literally split the earth's core in half. Yoga is the best fighting sport. 

God likes to cosplay as a human O.o xDxD

maybe not with the punches to the head for the long term mental health... but you can do a Brazilian jiu-jitsu practice maybe for confidence and a fitness boxing class for exercise.

On 15/09/2022 at 8:29 AM, StarStruck said:

I want to do it for gaining fitness, developing a fighting spirit and winner mindset. In the past I had this: I have experience with boxing for a year but that was some time ago. I want to go back to gain those three things again. I'm somebody who stays in his comfort zone a lot so  last week I tried a boxing lesson again. It definitely made me tougher, gave me confidence, gave me a taste of the fighting spirit. Those are the upsides, the downsides were that I received quite a  lot of punches to the head. It was just training but those guys don't hold back. Do you think it is worth it?

1. Train neck to absorb force.

2. Work on footwork(head work too) to avoid punches.

3. Go to a boxing gym that knows what they're doing

4. Spend time recovering.