TheSelf

The truth about the past

74 posts in this topic

Something I'm still a bit struggling to understand which is not really simple I know..

Is the past real or I am literally like fucking literally imagining every single moments that I "believe" to  have experienced in the past?

Please don't simply respond like "the past is imaginary" cause you never act based on this in your day to day life...

No mental gymnastics here, I'm trying to know the truth about this subject.

 

Edited by m0hsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pointer: 

 

Take a moment and look at the screen for a few seconds, do it while being really focused on the rawness of the experience, be fully 'there', completely focused on the actuality of the experience.

Now close your eyes and 'relive' that experience in 'your mind's eye'.

After doing that, I suggest you ponder seriously on this...

Which one of those experiences is prior to the other one?

They are both happening Now, right? :D

The present moment is Absolutely 'stationary'. It never leaves the 'what is'. It is It. The Now is Absolute, Consciousness and The Now are One. 

Consciousness is nonlocal

The Now is always present

Same stuff. Actual.

It is Eternity itself, Consciousness is not separate from The now, It is The Same...

It is You.

Consciousness and The Now are One

It is Absolute.

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Words mean something because they point to meaning beyond themselves."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Direct experience is occuring in The Now

You are being present and directly experiencing it because you are Consciousness itself.

 

You are aware that you are in the now because you are conscious. Always. No beginning, no end.

The now is not a separate facet. It's the same. What is conscious Now?  The Absolute, Consciousness, You, whatever word you wanna use.

Now...

Direct experience is not 'some thing' that 'happens'. It is the same... Consciousness. You.  

You are Infinity

❤️


"Words mean something because they point to meaning beyond themselves."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You remember your past. So your past is imagined by how you remember it now.

If you remember something that happened a long ago, you can now remember that past memory with your curent fresh perspective, as opposed when you first stored it. So the memory has a trigger, and becomes active in your curent state of mind in how you interperet or associate with that memory.

So your past is real in relation to how you chose to interact with it in the present moment where you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Anahata Thank you for your response I'm fully aware of all these, I'm fully aware that when I'm thinking about the past it's happening in the now, I'm that which is holding the entire past in my consciousness, but I still believe I'm experiencing stuff, don't tell me that you are fully integrated this truth because of course in your day to day life you do and act based on the thoughts you have about the past.

One more thing is that the stuff in the present moment fully support the thoughts about your experiences in the past, for example you may have drunk a glass of cold water just a few moments ago, you still feel some coldness in your mouth, you are no longer thirsty all because just a few moments ago you have had that experience, is this imaginary to you? Really? 

Stuff in the present moment fully support the past experiences this makes it absolutely hard to fully integrate or understand the truth about the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The past happens, outside of memory. Consciousness is fluid and has a variety of spans. This is something the Void is aware of, even if your mind specifically can't grasp it except through memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ZzzleepingBear I guess my struggle about the past being imaginary truth is how well the present moment stuff or other people fully support it.

Also I'm looking for Absolute Truth regarding this subject, either the past experiences is absolutely imaginary and unreal, meaning you have never had any experiences and your thoughts about it is false or its real.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from an absolute point of view, nothing is real. infinity is, and that is what there is. then you are creating the past right now. the same as the present, the ground you walk on and anything else.

from a relative point of view, everything is real. the past happened and is stored in your mind to give you more chances of survival as an individual and as a species.  

then, the past is imaginary because it is a mental image, but there is a completely real storage system that makes this imagination possible. you cannot change your past, it is engraved in your mind at a cellular level. it's completely real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

The past happens, outside of memory. Consciousness is fluid and has a variety of spans. This is something the Void is aware of, even if your mind specifically can't grasp it except through memory.

You cannot say the past happens or is real, because all you've got is the present moment and you can never experience the past, if the present moment is the Absolute Truth then there's no past, you have never experienced anything in your life in the past, all that there's in the now for you is the Truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

if the present moment is the Absolute Truth then there's no past

And what is the present moment? For example my present moment now is me remembering the past. And it's not less real than me looking a landscape, for example 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

from an absolute point of view, nothing is real. infinity is, and that is what there is. then you are creating the past right now. the same as the present, the ground you walk on and anything else.

from a relative point of view, everything is real. the past happened and is stored in your mind to give you more chances of survival as an individual and as a species.  

then, the past is imaginary because it is a mental image, but there is a completely real storage system that makes this imagination possible. you cannot change your past, it is engraved in your mind at a cellular level. it's completely real

I'm looking for Absolute Truth regarding this subject, either it's real or unreal, I believe talking about a relative POV is just another mental game. 

What's the Truth? The truth beyond the mind game? That's what I'm looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Breakingthewall said:

And what is the present moment? For example my present moment now is me remembering the past. And it's not less real than me looking a landscape, for example 

Anything in your perception, that includes your senses, thoughts (not what thoughts suggests you to believe but just the experience of the thought) and wherever else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@m0hsen it doesn't even exist if you are not conscious of it right now.   And even then it exists as a thought in your mind.  But that's the freaky thing about reality.   Everything is consciousness- there is nothing outside of consciousness.   So if you aren't conscious of it, it doesn't even exist.   Now you may ask - if it doesn't exist how can the story seem so fluid - i.e. you look at the moon but then look away and think about something else.   (Moon no longer exists)  you then look back and it's there - slightly changed from before.   But how If it didn't exist?  Well that's because infinity does not need anything happening in the background.   It can manifest entire universes instantaneously- it does not need any type of grounding.  It's really rather astounding you just have to watch that it doesn't lead to nihilism because it leads to the realization  that things only exist and have meaning if you imagine them to.

To the question did it happen?  The present moment is actually eternal and unchanging so everything is imagination.   Even saying it happened is you imagining it happened.   It's a massive mind fuck 

Edited by Inliytened1

 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

What's the Truth? The truth beyond the mind game? That's what I'm looking for.

The truth is the infinity, is god, and is you, and you can't find it with the mind because it's beyond the mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

@ZzzleepingBear I guess my struggle about the past being imaginary truth is how well the present moment stuff or other people fully support it.

Also I'm looking for Absolute Truth regarding this subject, either the past experiences is absolutely imaginary and unreal, meaning you have never had any experiences and your thoughts about it is false or its real.

 

We learn through all kinds of experiences, so if your truth today doesent align with your truth in the past. Then that's fine. Any past truth has expired in the presence of the now.

Regarding past experiences, they are only as real as you can remember them. Look, you will remember certain things from past experiences, and you will have forgot alot of them aswell. The relevant truth, is the truth you can live from today. So if you happen to remember some past memory that you have good use for in the moment. Then your focus is where you need it to be, and where you want it to be. Notice that we can only refer to the past and not live there, unless we allow our mind to daydream about it in more detail.

We allow the so called past to be present, by making a point out of it in this moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

You cannot say the past happens or is real, because all you've got is the present moment and you can never experience the past, if the present moment is the Absolute Truth then there's no past, you have never experienced anything in your life in the past, all that there's in the now for you is the Truth.

Wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

So if you aren't conscious of it, it doesn't even exist. 

@Inliytened1 How are you defining conscious of here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously there is no such a thing as a past. The past is a concept you have in your mind.

Is always Now. Just observe.


Being a Guru is frustrating because what can be done in a moment, people make it a lifetime.’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Wrong.

Dude! This is literally your direct experience! Can you experience the past? No! you can only believe in your thoughts regarding past experiences! So if you drunk a glass of water a few moments ago, that actually didn't happen, you can only believe the thought which suggests it happened. I know this is so damn radical, but consider the possiblity that this actually might be the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

@Inliytened1 How are you defining conscious of here? 

I'm not sure I understand the question?


 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now