The Mystical Man

The Sopranos - The Greatest TV Series Ever Made

29 posts in this topic

It's incredible how well-written this show is. There is nothing like it and there never will be anything to equal it. To create a show like The Sopranos you first have to create a human being like David Chase, and I doubt the world of television will ever see that kind of genius again. I think the character of Tony Soprano is even better than Walter White. 

This is my favorite scene:

Very subtle. Beautifully shot. Great performance by James Gandolfini. And I love that song.

I think it's the relationship between Tony and Dr. Melfi that made this show special:

sopranos-bracco-gandolfini.jpg

I love Melfi. She is mature, intelligent, and classy. 

Robert McKee analyzed Walter White to be more dimensional than Tony, but I like Tony more than Walter, because he's a more plausible character. Walter's transformation is fascinating but unrealistic. Breaking Bad is a thrilling ride, but, in my opinion, there's more emotion in The Sopranos. At least in the long-run. David Chase sacrifices short-term pleasures for long-term satisfaction. 

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

25 minutes ago, Asayake said:

Haven't seen it! I guess I'll have to at some point ^_^

I hope you enjoy it.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

Haven't watched too much of it.

However, have heard people really love it.

Also, I've heard a few folks who are really into psychoanalysis say it contains the best movie/ TV portrayal of psychoanalysis that they know of.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

2 minutes ago, Ulax said:

Also, I've heard a few folks who are really into psychoanalysis say it contains the best movie/ TV portrayal of psychoanalysis that they know of.

I second that. Without the Tony/Melfi scenes, I probably wouldn't like this show as much.

The writers that worked on this show are smart, and every episode that was written by David Chase is chef's kiss.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:03 PM, The Mystical Man said:

It's incredible how well-written this show is. There is nothing like it and there never will be anything to equal it. To create a show like The Sopranos you first have to create a human being like David Chase, and I doubt the world of television will ever see that kind of genius again. I think the character of Tony Soprano is even better than Walter White. 

This is my favorite scene:

Very subtle. Beautifully shot. Great performance by James Gandolfini. And I love that song.

I think it's the relationship between Tony and Dr. Melfi that made this show special:

sopranos-bracco-gandolfini.jpg

I love Melfi. She is mature, intelligent, and classy. 

Robert McKee analyzed Walter White to be more dimensional than Tony, but I like Tony more than Walter, because he's a more plausible character. Walter's transformation is fascinating but unrealistic. Breaking Bad is a thrilling ride, but, in my opinion, there's more emotion in The Sopranos. At least in the long-run. David Chase sacrifices short-term pleasures for long-term satisfaction. 

I just love that this show is so New Jersey ?

The acting is ?

It's a good show, but HBO has many other great shows, like Rome.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It is a great show. I think the Wire is even better. The whole thing like a sociological analysis of America.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's a good show, but HBO has many other great shows, like Rome.

I've never heard of that show before. Might watch.

3 hours ago, Joel3102 said:

I think the Wire is even better.

I watched a few episodes, and it hasn't hooked me yet. 

It’s good at first but then it becomes very repetitive.

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

The Sopranos is not a show that you can binge-watch. Ideally, you'd watch it over the course of a year or two. It's like slowly digesting a massive piece of literature like Moby-Dick. These masterworks aren't meant to be gobbled up. 

@The Mystical Man I don't like crime/gangs/mafia shows in general. I watched a couple of seasons of breaking bad then I hanged up the phone.  At some point you just get sick of  watching egos fighting each other like animals. 

Edited by LSD-Rumi

2 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

At some point you just get sick of the watching egos fighting each other like animals. 

Welp, there goes all entertainment :D

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I'm not a big fan of video essays, but this one is good:

Michael Imperioli is great:

I'm happy that he found the way.

It's definitely my favorite show of all time.   The Wire is pretty high on my list too. 

My favorite Sopranos scene...

13 minutes ago, ChadT said:

My favorite Sopranos scene...

Great scene. No music, no sound effects, no gimmicky camera movements to keep the viewer's attention. Just flawless writing and pure acting. I love it.

I appreciate writers, actors, and directors. What would life be without their creativity, brilliance, and genius?

@The Mystical Man

I agree.  I was having this conversation the other day with friends.  My buddy puts a lot of $ into his home theater.  It's top notch.  I love watching stuff over there, but my point was that it's always more about the story and the acting for me.  Special effects, audio and picture quality, etc. are just icing on the cake.  Give me a great story, well performed, and I'll watch it on anything.