Vision

Why does being a leader bring purpose, happiness and fulfilment?

17 posts in this topic

Why is it better to be a leader than not a leader in terms of purpose and fulfilment?

It doesn't for everyone.

Some are happier and more fulfilled being followers.

Why do you have this assumption / generalization? Even GaryVee says not everyone is meant to be a leader or entrepreneur.

Edited by Yarco

Leaders want to be leaders. They can't help themselves. To them not-leading is not an option.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Purpose and fulfillment are independent of whether one is a leader or not. For some, being a leader helps. For others, it's irrelevant. That's not usually what they're after.

What brings happiness and purpose is you.

I think leaders thrive on leading others, nearly like they need others to lead to move forward themselves like Leo's learn as I learn approach. It's nearly as though in a strange way the people being led are leading the leader

@Vision it’s not necessarily better.

It’s only “better” if it’s important to you.

For me, being in a leadership role is often more comfortable than not. Even if I don’t start out in that role, it’s like I unconsciously find my way there.

But even still, there are times where it’s important to follow. I’m okay choosing to let others take the reins at times.

There’s a bit of an obsession in modern culture where everyone wants to be a leader. And some of that is certainly good. But we often swing the pendulum so far that we discount the value of following.

Leaders cannot be leaders with followers. Followers cannot be followers without leaders. Simple as that.

So I’d say it’s good to be able to do both. And find how your energy likes to express itself.

I've forced myself to be a leader at times. Not for me. I like to be left alone too much to deal with that. 

15 hours ago, Aaron p said:

I think leaders thrive on leading others, nearly like they need others to lead to move forward themselves like Leo's learn as I learn approach. It's nearly as though in a strange way the people being led are leading the leader

That’s really interesting. Can you elaborate more on this “Learn as I learn” approach?

Or did you mean "Teach as I learn" approach? @Aaron p

Edited by Vision

22 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Leaders want to be leaders. They can't help themselves. To them not-leading is not an option.

16 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Purpose and fulfillment are independent of whether one is a leader or not. For some, being a leader helps. For others, it's irrelevant. That's not usually what they're after.

What brings happiness and purpose is you.

@Leo GuraHow can you know if you are the leader type?

8 hours ago, aurum said:

There’s a bit of an obsession in modern culture where everyone wants to be a leader.

Really? I see the complete opposite.

1 hour ago, Vision said:

How can you know if you are the leader type?

You're gonna have a magnetic attraction toward leading. Even though leading will still be difficult.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

You're gonna have a magnetic attraction toward leading. Even though leading will still be difficult.

@Leo Gura

I do feel a magnetic attraction towards leading. A lot of it is because of what Aaron had previously said ⬇️

17 hours ago, Aaron p said:

The way I see it is that becoming a leader makes it such that thousands of people hold you accountable, which is what I’d guess Aaron is alluding to when he says “the people being led are leading to leader”.

Imagine having thousands of people that look up to you and your lifestyle — they may not know it explicitly but they are holding you accountable in a way.

When you have so many people looking up to you, you’ll feel pressure (in a positive way) to always be taking the right actions, because these right actions are not just for yourself anymore – they are for the people that see you as a leader. 

With how much momentum you have from all the people you are inspiring with your leadership and selfless service, you won’t feel the need to succumb to addictions, you have more meaningful things to do.

On the other hand, if you’re not doing anything meaningful with your life, and every activity you’re doing is just for your ego-self (solely doing basic survival like most people), then succumbing to addictions is bound to happen because your mind doesn’t feel the need to do anything productive, because without anything meaningful to do, why should it? 

That’s why people who feel a sense of purpose in their life live longer lives. Look at Okinawans. They have one of the longest lifespans due to Ikigai (synonymous with Life Purpose).

If you bring God into this then you can say that you are doing all of this for You, because every “other person” that exists, is You, and only doing it for your ego-self isn’t taking into account the full picture of You (other “people”).

Trying to be a leader because it makes you live longer is a bad reason to be a leader.

Selfless leadership is inherently fulfilling.  If you see something needs your leadership, you can't not act if you care about polarization.

You remain polarized in hard times. 

Edited by Proserpina

???????

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Trying to be a leader because it makes you live longer is a bad reason to be a leader.

That’s not what I was trying to communicate. I think it’s a positive side effect that is not pursued, but ensued.

What do you think a good reason to be a leader is?

I think that leadership is simply something that naturally ensues from you embodying your Life Purpose. But maybe there’s more to it.

Anyone can be a leader. You just need to reap more benefits and you will want to be more of a leader.

For example, let's say by some stroke of luck, you are playing a game and you are the leader and somehow, your team always win. Then everyone wants you to the leader and your team always lose when you are not the leader. Then you also don't want to be under anyone. Everyone will also look to you as a leader.

Edited by hyruga

Often, individuals who would be the best leaders don't even want to become one. xD

Leaders create a clear vision and purpose for themselves. Taking full ownership of both is key. The greatest leaders put themselves in the driver's seat. As a result, that attitude might inspire other people.

Being a leader may be a side effect of boldly pursuing your goals, not something that is sought for itself. Although there may be missing elements or factors in this definition.

What is leadership? Does it depend on personality, or can anyone who works on it become a leader? What does it require? Is it charisma, skill, authenticity, or a combination of those and/or other elements?

Edited by UnbornTao

Not everyone wants to lead, but for those that do, I see them experiencing more of life, and deeper. 

Leaders, by definition, are in the "front," so they "SEE" more than those following. For those who really want the most out of life, its hard to imagine actually doing that while being just a follower.

Also, I see leadership as a facet of Authenticity. Leaders have a vision, and they create a new path, a unique authentic path. Followers go down the path the leader sets for them (in a sense.) The leader explores and discovers, while the follower sees and explores what is already discovered and known.

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/