Galyna

Time perception and awakening

44 posts in this topic

Guys, can you pls share what happened with your time perception after awakening? 

Either I am getting crazy or something has happened with time perception for this “l”. Last week was experienced as one day.

But now for some mystical reason time slowes down.

I have noticed that it correlates with impersonal perception. Seems like time is so fast when you fully become what you experience. 

I know there is no time, but if we talk from a relative point of view…is it normalcy? 

Edited by Galyna

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

33 minutes ago, Galyna said:

I know there is no time

Why is time an illusion? What do you mean by time? And what do you mean by it being an illusion? 

Time exists. Sure. We even have a word for it. We are even talking about it right now.   

It's just like everything else.. What you think it is.... Isn't actually what it is. 

our naive perception of its flow doesn’t correspond to physical reality. including Isaac Newton’s picture of a universally ticking clock. Even Albert Einstein’s relativistic space-time.. Which is supposed to be an elastic manifold that contorts so that local times differ depending on one’s relative speed or proximity to a mass is just a simplification.  In other words the universe is like a movie.. All past presents and future are contained in the same place (for lack of better words). But that's none of your business as you are completely bought into the linearity of life. 

Better question be What is time? And good luck answering. 

won't ask you how you came up with it or why you're so sure the present moment is Al there is for my pov .
The problem is that if, as you say, "there is no future or past" and the present is all that really exists, existence is so incredibly fleeting it makes things seem pretty insignificant don't you think?

If that doesn't bother you, this will:
We live (quite consciously) in the present moment right? And to live consciously in the present moment one would have to be aware of one's doing so. But, of course, if the present moment lasts merely 10^-43/sec then how can one be aware of the fact that one is in it? One cannot even be aware of it! There's no time! (And yet you claim that the present moment "is your perceptions")

You cannot use the word "Now!" meaningfully because it takes longer for you to say "now" than it takes for the present moment to pass. If a one-syllable word cannot even denote the moment you intend it to denote, how can talk of the present carry any meaning? How are we to live presently in a mathematical point?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 hour ago, Galyna said:

Last week was experienced as one day.

What exactly do you mean by this?

I do perceive "time" a bit different than I used to. I might have a memory of doing something but it's hard for me to remember which day I did it. It could have been yesterday or 2-3 days ago or a week from now. I also don't always remember things that are out of my daily routine but that problem seems to have become better.

Seems like the brain needs some time to restructure after the realization but it will get better. ?

@Galyna Time is a relative construct. It exists and doesn't exist at the same time. It can't exist outside of space, for example. 

According to Einstein, time moves relative to the speed and position of the observer. 

Maybe the fact that we notice time at all implies that we (as pure awareness) are not moving along with it. 

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

With deep consciousness/awakening, time is seen to be an illusion. Past, present and future are seen clearly to be a construction in the mind. If you contemplate it, you will easily see that you never experienced a past, a present or a future. Those are all thought forms (memories, concepts, imagination) that arise in eternal consciousness. They are concepts projected by the mind onto perceptions, to give the illusionary self a sense of a life story and meaning. 

As long as the belief that there is a sense of "I", a personal "me" that experiences a personal life, time will continue. Attachment to memory, judgement and comparison of "present" conditions to "past", and projection of a "future" are all functions of being an individual going through life. Time is simply a part of the dream that Enlightenment ends. There isn't, and never was an individual that "passed" through time.

Experiment: try to go back to your oldest memory of your self. How old were you when your first memory was formed? How come most people don't seem to remember experiences of when they were 0-6 years old? Why don't we remember the first time we walked? Or the first day in kindergarten? I would suggest that prior to the illusion of the personal self, it wasn't possible to form a memory of an experience, because there was no experiencer to refer to. 

Time exists in the 3 dimensional (physical) world; universe has a beginning and will have an end. In the quantum field time doesn't exist because it is eternal/infinite/endless, but the thing is that you can't reach that realm with your physical form. You will have to die.

In Tate we trust

21 hours ago, Someone here said:

Why is time an illusion? What do you mean by time? And what do you mean by it being an illusion? 

Time exists. Sure. We even have a word for it. We are even talking about it right now.   

It's just like everything else.. What you think it is.... Isn't actually what it is. 

Time is a mental construct of the ego-mind. Time only arises when there is an identity to whom this time exists.

I have noticed that when "I shifts" toward impersonal perception, times slows down vs when "I" focuses on the identity. Similar to undifferentiated attention that flows freely and does not stick on objects and things. Rather it becomes what it "sees" ( do you understand what I am talking about @Someone here? ) I am sorry if it is a bit convoluted. I've described it in my " Collapse of dualities" post. Have you ever become it, when you are looking at something/someone and the feeling of this dense "I" disappears? Inner and outer collapses into One experience which does not have any cognition of self.

our naive perception of its

Einstein proved that time is relative in his Theory of relativity, time depends upon your vantage point, and so there is no single absolute time. Therefore, it is highly relative and hinges upon itself. It is highly subjective and therefore! it is an illusion. 

Let's even drop science....what is time truly? Memory that is created by the liner perception and sequencies of events. But everything that has ever happened unfolds right now in your field of awareness, do you agree with me? Time is a quality of consciousness so it can self reflect upon itself and create the illusion of physical reality. When people refer to the prove aka from the past like pics and things, they do not understand that illusion of physical reality unfolds as they go creating their past pictures and notions of the past events in their minds.

won't ask you how you came up with it or why you're so sure the present moment is Al there is for my pov .

Simple answer hides with the non-dual, non-liner perception. Have you ever noticed that the nature of Consciousness is "to become what it creates" Why do we even say non-dual? Because there is only One thing that can exist at a time, even though there are many appearances that "pretend" to happen simultaneously, but one is always being held within the conscious experience. Very simple to check, try to concentrate on many things at a time and see. There is always one primal perception and "other things" that happen on the background of it. 

The problem is that if, as you say, "there is no future or past" and the present is all that really exists, existence is so incredibly fleeting it makes things seem pretty insignificant don't you think?

That is the quality of mind to put tag on something it fails to comprehend. 

if the present moment lasts merely 10^-43/sec

We do not have a direct experience of it, it is just a theory that does not hold any ground. Just bunch of symbols, do you agree with me?  

One cannot even be aware of it! There's no time!

And yes, so true, because there is nobody there to be aware of it. xD The biggest joke of Lila. xD Bury the "character" and they will take "time" with them into the "grave". 

You cannot use the word "Now!" meaningfully because it takes longer for you to say "now" than it takes for the present moment to pass. If a one-syllable word cannot even denote the moment you intend it to denote, how can talk of the present carry any meaning? How are we to live presently in a mathematical point?

Sommie, you made a great point. Thanks for putting some time to explain things.  But you have not answered my question from the relative standpoint. I was just curious how people perceive the flow of time when experience the impersonal awareness. Does it slow down or get faster for you?  I agree with everything you say, but on the personal level, what has changed for "you" with awakening in terms of time flow.

Thank you.... 

Edited by Galyna

18 hours ago, Natasha said:

It can't exist outside of space, for example. 

^_^ yes, space and something that "holds" this space.

20 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

What exactly do you mean by this?

I do perceive "time" a bit different than I used to. I might have a memory of doing something but it's hard for me to remember which day I did it. It could have been yesterday or 2-3 days ago or a week from now. I also don't always remember things that are out of my daily routine but that problem seems to have become better.

Seems like the brain needs some time to restructure after the realization but it will get better. ?

I freaked out a little bit because I had an experience where time went super-fast. Ego freaked out a little bit due the fact that I will approach inevitable end sooner that I expected. 

Also, yes, something happened to my short-term memory, I cannot remember things at all. How can I if I do not think of them. xD 

Friends ask me things to bring or for example doctor's appointment...if I haven't set up the alarm, it will evaporate from my mind. About four weeks ago it took me some time to remember the season we are in, just in a split of the second I could not recollect. I was holding an apple in the grocery store, and my awareness was sucked in so much but I was in a heighten state. It felt that life slowed down. 

I hope it will restructure xD, there is a desire to be in this state all the time, but no...9_9naive "little" mexD, ego had a backlash again.

Man, I did not realize I am so attached to my identity, "I" literally does not want to let itself go'.  And the mind lurks in all the time by engaging into a new things.

Now I completely understand how difficult it is to achieve permanent enlightenment. It is a road in a length of life. Mind creates projections/mirrors and plays with them to not disappear. I want to write a new post about it. Because intuitively, I know that the Higher truth will take up. Ego will surrender eventually and it is just a matter of time. 

@axiom yeah, because both are fictions xD

12 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Time exists in the 3 dimensional (physical) world; universe has a beginning and will have an end. In the quantum field time doesn't exist because it is eternal/infinite/endless, but the thing is that you can't reach that realm with your physical form. You will have to die.

Not necessarily. 

13 hours ago, Batman said:

With deep consciousness/awakening, time is seen to be an illusion. Past, present and future are seen clearly to be a construction in the mind. If you contemplate it, you will easily see that you never experienced a past, a present or a future. Those are all thought forms (memories, concepts, imagination) that arise in eternal consciousness. They are concepts projected by the mind onto perceptions, to give the illusionary self a sense of a life story and meaning. 

As long as the belief that there is a sense of "I", a personal "me" that experiences a personal life, time will continue. Attachment to memory, judgement and comparison of "present" conditions to "past", and projection of a "future" are all functions of being an individual going through life. Time is simply a part of the dream that Enlightenment ends. There isn't, and never was an individual that "passed" through time.

Experiment: try to go back to your oldest memory of your self. How old were you when your first memory was formed? How come most people don't seem to remember experiences of when they were 0-6 years old? Why don't we remember the first time we walked? Or the first day in kindergarten? I would suggest that prior to the illusion of the personal self, it wasn't possible to form a memory of an experience, because there was no experiencer to refer to. 

I remember I was crying in my crib. However, this was a traumatic experience due to abandonment.

Again, I realize that this event has never happened and is fiction of the ego-mind that happens right here and right now. But the illusion that event happened when I was little is somewhat persuasive.

I get what you are saying, as I clearly see that the time is a mental construct.  It is easy to see now how appearances (of anything) juxtapose themselves creating the illusion of a motion. 

@Galyna when there is an impersonal sense of awareness time seems to pass neither fast or slowly, the moment seems to be totally out of time, it's hard to explain it in words. I mean...when you are having a great conversation which just flows and you get "lost" in the moment and in the reflection of "another", you can only make sense of time when you get back to the concept of time and try to make sense of it.

Edited by Fernanda

The less you pay attention to time, the less time itself will exist.

Our imagination is very faulty, and time depends on imagination. When you lose track of time, this breaks the illusion and perception of time. Without any clocks to count on, you cannot accurately gauge how much time has elapsed, the responsibility of measuring time is delegated to your imagination, and thus you are stuck in a warped sense of time, where time can seem to move much faster or slower than normal. The feeling of time moving "fast" or "slow" is just a consequence of the inability of your mind to imagine time in a consistent manner. Time will seem to move fastest when you are completely present in the moment, which is why people tend to say "time goes by fast when you're having fun".

If you're checking the clock all the time, time will be much more substantial.

If you are present in the moment without any thoughts relating to time, time will cease to exist for as long as you can maintain that level of perception.

I actually learned a lot about how time works from working in a 9-5. The shift goes much slower or faster depending on how you conduct yourself.

Your perception of time can also indirectly be hindered by how well you feel in your own body. For example, if your arm hurts, it may lead you to think more thoughts related to time such as "how long is my arm going to hurt for". So, having good energy levels and a healthy body can help you feel more present, because you will feel amazing in your body, and this feeling of being amazing actually pulls you into the present moment.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

14 minutes ago, Fernanda said:

@Galyna when there is an impersonal sense of awareness time seems to pass neither fast or slowly, the moment seems to be totally out of time, it's hard to explain it in words. I mean...when you are having a great conversation which just flows and you get "lost" in the moment and in the reflection of "another", you can only make sense of time when you get back to the concept of time and try to make sense of it.

Absolutely, so this is what freaked me out. I looked back and retrospected about past events and it seems like a week was one day. However, when I began to notice it, as an observer, for magical reason time slowed down: double slit experiment ?

5 minutes ago, Osaid said:

When you lose track of time, this breaks the illusion and perception of time. Without any clocks to count on, you cannot accurately gauge how much time has elapsed, the responsibility of measuring time is delegated to your imagination, and thus you are stuck in a warped sense of time, where time can seem to move much faster or slower than normal.

Today I came to the conclusion that I can (I don’t know yet how) influence the flow of my subjective time. 

6 minutes ago, Galyna said:

Absolutely, so this is what freaked me out. I looked back and retrospected about past events and it seems like a week was one day. However, when I began to notice it, as an observer, for magical reason time slowed down: double slit experiment ?

Yes, pure magic! I heard many people tell me lately that I am so INTENSE and that's what they like about me. I was thinking about what this means and I think it is related of this quality of attention that pulls us out of time. You leave an impression, a trademark all around you without any effort. Sometimes a moment is so intense that you keep feeling its impression for weeks or months.

3 minutes ago, Fernanda said:

it is related of this quality of attention

Of course, people love when you listen to them attentively, actually listening but not wait your turn to say something meaningful  that might inflate your ego. 

Edited by Galyna