Uncover

I Deleted My Facebook Account.

19 posts in this topic

Hi! Two days ago I went and deleted my facebook account because I'm fed up with so many "perfect" people with "perfect" lives. Because I'm often misunderstood by people when talking on facebook. Because I judge and I'm judged all the time. I just can't stand it, it makes me feel uncomfortable using it. On the other hand, I'm thinking that I lost contact with some people. I also have a school group where is posted important stuff. 

Did I do well? Should I return to it? Is it a good thing, is it a bad thing?

Good job man.  But do you have the balls the delete all of your friends and then delete Facebook?  Because realistically speaking, in a week or two you will be back on Facebook. (Because "deleting" Facebook doesn't ACTUALLY delete it.)

Here's a challenge for you:  Delete 3 "friends" a week.  Or even better, delete a "friend" a day. (Like I did, until I eventually deleted them all.)  Also there's kind of a satisfaction choosing and deleting that fucker that posts dumb shit or in your case those people with the "perfect" lives.  Kinda like a middle finger to them.

I came back to Facebook after some time though, and now only check it 3 times a week or so.  But I only have about 13 friends on it. (They actually bothered to add me back on Facebook.)

Edited by Evilwave Heddy

I think facebook is a mind numbing distraction. A wise man once refereed to it as "Chimpbook" or "egobook" I have deleted facebook many times and re downloaded it in the past. Now, and going strong for several months now, I ONLY use facebook on my laptop. Not my phone. I find this way I have a lot less opportunity to browse on facebook (because it really is unhealthy). I guess my advice wold be to wean  yourself off. Or at the very least, moderate your usage if you feel so compelled to use it. Same goes for twitter, but in my opinion twitter is even more unhealthy than facebook.

I don't think the whole deleting friends little by little is the way to go. Your still wasting your time on Facebook. Not only Facebook, all social media is designed to be addictive. Just leave it all together & fight thru your urges checking it. Anybody that you want in your life already have your phone number & you will probably get to see your friends in person more often. 

I am a 21 year old female that lives in New York, whose into fitness & modeling (I was the default girl on social media) I delete all my accounts & I didn't die, you'll be alright. 

It is a terrible huge time waster, invest the most valuable currency you have, which is time, on yourself. Not looking at other people's lives.

@Uncover if you understand why you do things, you will never have to question whether it was right or wrong.  Facebook is a tool - and can be useful for some things.  I find it useful in business to remind people that I am around.  A school group might be useful, in the exchange of information.  Ultimately,  do not think FB is useful for any kind of meaningful relationships - its just too easy to be "friends" with people.  there is no real work involved, therefore no investment.  .  If you seek contact with other people, then go outside and meet some people.  Walk into the grocery store and start a conversation with a total stranger.  try starting a conversation with some of the people at school, in one of those places where people gather.  by working on your social skills, you will find the contact with others that you seek. 

6 minutes ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

You're just fooling yourself. Facebook is not the problem; YOU are the problem.

Wow, this is a bold statement. I am pretty sure facebook is more of a problem than op is.

10 minutes ago, LifeLine said:

I don't think the whole deleting friends little by little is the way to go. Your still wasting your time on Facebook. Not only Facebook, all social media is designed to be addictive. Just leave it all together & fight thru your urges checking it. Anybody that you want in your life already have your phone number & you will probably get to see your friends in person more often. 

I am a 21 year old female that lives in New York, whose into fitness & modeling (I was the default girl on social media) I delete all my accounts & I didn't die, you'll be alright. 

It is a terrible huge time waster, invest the most valuable currency you have, which is time, on yourself. Not looking at other people's lives.

Pretty much this.

Here's my key; Philosophy. A freak like me just needs Infinity.

Just unfollow people who you don't want to hear from. Add in countless people and sources that say things that please you. Facebook is what you make it, like all things.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

15 hours ago, Uncover said:

I Deleted My Facebook Account.

Congratulations on your newly-found  *freedom.

* Freedom from a predominantly narcissist and superficial community;  freedom from a mostly unproductive and unbeneficial pastime;  freedom from a possible addiction;  freedom from the powers who pry into your private life and seek control of your life;  freedom.

Edited by jse

I used to be a social media addict. What I did was wrote a complex password down somewhere that I couldn't remember, and only login when I had to check up on the basics. So I've gone from someone who looked at Facebook 4 hours a day to less than 5 minutes. Sooo much better, more time to do more productive things. I also used this chrome add on which auto unfollows every person and unlikes every page, so you don't get sucked into the click-bait, shallow like-whory shit on the news feed.

I think this approach is good because you still keep those few benefits of having a Facebook account, if it's the most convenient way of contacting someone, going to events, or being part of groups. But you eliminate its harmful aspects. 

9 hours ago, Uncover said:

Did I do well? Should I return to it? Is it a good thing, is it a bad thing?

Time to stand on your own two feet 

@Old Soul

12 hours ago, Old Soul said:

I am pretty sure facebook is more of a problem than op is

What is op?o.O

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

I think you're doing a good thing. After  at most a fortnight you won't miss it.

It can be useful for practical reasons, like you said you have a group with your friends. Personally the group with my friends is usually just general chit-chat that isn't helpful at all. Ask a friend to keep you updated with the important things and you'll be fine.

When I look around now, I see so many people using their phone, not aware they're even using it. They're absorbed in snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, whatever. I think the more people that break the mould, the better.

Edited by RossE

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

I did the same. I don't deleted my account but I signed off of it in my phone. Did the same with twitter. I don't delete the account because I have some family and friends I care and they live far away. So I just enter in my pc once a week to check with family and send messages.

I did it because the negative stuff that everyone posted about politics, fights, first world problems etc. I just feel better now and btw I spent all that time watching more self help videos, business videos, self mastery videos etc. Some times I catch myself entering in the app unconscious and when I see I have to log in I just feel bad for not being aware. 

BTW I remembered the video of Leo talking about anger part 2 and this is true:

14 hours ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

You're just fooling yourself. Facebook is not the problem; YOU are the problem.

We are the problem when you realize that what you hate/get anger/dislike are things that you do, and you are. Check the video if you want to be more high conscious aware. 

I used to use Facebook as my emotional crutch, it was my favourite tool to avoid work and Pain. You can keep scrolling the thing and it never fails to satisfy you. However it has its own set of, a very small set of benefits. You can literally find anyone and everyone on that website. Also it's good for promotional activities and just like one of the individuals said, good for business.

It actually pretty much depends on how you use it. I know monks and sages who are on Facebook and they help people through that tool. So it depends. Because most of the people don't have the awareness and because they don't know how to use it that most of the Facebook feels stupid