Someone here

I'm addicted to this forum !

29 posts in this topic

If some of you notice I post a lot.  Almost every day I come up with a new post .and I have a high post count.  

I will be honest about it ..the way I use this forum is not about "personal development " but just to chat with highly intelligent people from all over the world about interesting stuff that I can't talk about with my family or friends or anyone in real life . I specifically like the spirituality section. Where else in real life could I have such high quality conversation about the deepest existential questions like god and reality and death and free will and solipsism (to name a few of the topics that I'm interested in).

So anyways ..any suggestions to how to use this forum properly and not just turn it into a distraction like playing video games or smoking? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

2 minutes ago, Roy said:

There really are no rules, so you may have to make some up.

Right. 

The rules might be to reduce my posting frequency. Like one post per week instead of two or three posts a day 

-Osho

@Michael Jackson 

just curious...are you an old forum member with new account or is this your first acccount ?

-Osho

Depends on the degree to which you are taking responsibility in your life. If you are not yet living your ideal life, and you're not rapidly moving towards that, you might want to reconsider the things you are doing on a daily basis and assess your priorities. Your time is valuable and life isn't infinite. If you're content with your life right now, if you feel peaceful, well, you're not really distracting yourself. You're not supposed to do anything. And if you like spending your time on here rather than anything else, that's your right.

Now, if you're distracting yourself as a way to be lazy, you should not tolerate that and set higher standards. Life should be a flow and you should do what you like doing in the moment, but by fulfilling your desires, you will find deeper and deeper flow states, but it requires you to stretch your mind. And if you aren't used to that, it might feel resistant. Then it easier to tune out and be lazy. You always want to have clarity first in who you are, who you want to be, the steps to take to get where you want to be, and if you have this clarity, you can perfectly take time to be in the moment and tune off from the future. This can be spending time on the forum here. But if you don't already have that clarity, you need to take responsibility for structuring your time and focus so you can have more deep contemplation, self-reflection, goal setting, goal-assessment, strategizing. 

Just be honest with yourself and ask the following questions. Am I truly happy with how my life is right now ? Have I already gotten what I truly desire? Am I seeing rapid progress towards my ideal life? Has my life changed much over the years? How much more time am I going to waste?

If you're truly happy, you're just flowing and you have nowhere else to go and so you're not distracting. 

43 minutes ago, Someone here said:

So anyways ..any suggestions to how to use this forum properly and not just turn it into a distraction like playing video games or smoking? 

Having a Life Purpose, what you’d be doing if the forum din’t exists? I come here on my free time. If you have nothing else going on in your life, you’d be attached not just to the forum but to maybe other stuff. 

Something I been doing recently to help me “reset my mind” a bit is to turn off my phone for the day(s), be alone and see what I can come up with. Sometimes I start cleaning my place to eventually have a walk outside or keep doing paintings and such, but I also have a like a daily schedule that I prepare on my weekends (I sometimes see this like prepare for a “war”/week), investigate a bit about the power of habits, without one, one is probably just wondering around without short-term/long-term goals. ?????

I’ll add to my post, there is a saying where I live on spanish but I’ll translate, maybe you guys have it differently:

“In a informed war, people might still die, but lesser than uninformed.” 

That is how I tend to approach having a habit, nothing wrong also not having a habit a few times (having a break for example), is your playground so, have fun with it! 

Edited by Juan

Makes sense to me, one of the few places you can be totally "yourself" and not have to put on an act (or as much) to not stir the boat like most places outside of here. 

But it is possible to find individuals outside of here, may be challenging but it's worth looking in your local vicinity too if you have the time/resource. ^_^

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

Apply the book tiny habit by bj fogg and systematically break your addiction of visiting this forum

Same here.  Though if I had any good anime left to watch I'd rarely be here.

I talk to a lot of random people on the internet, but I've never met a single one that has even a slight interest in the topics found here.

Every religious person I know hates talk of self-enquiry / god / consciousness / meditation / etc.  But still looks down on me for not believing in their dogmatic idea of god????

32 minutes ago, puporing said:

But it is possible to find individuals outside of here, may be challenging but it's worth looking in your local vicinity too if you have the time/resource. ^_^

Only possible if you're in a city of millions.  And in Europe there's only like a handful of cities with such populations.  Only an option in Asia, really.

My city has only like 100k people, and when people with an interest in this are 1 in 10000, it's not enough to have a community.

And even if people gathered to talk, it would be stuff like "I've just had my biggest awakening yet!  I'm God, and you're not real!"

Edited by thisintegrated

2 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

Only possible if you're in a city of millions.  And in Europe there's only like a handful of cities with such populations.  Only an option in Asia, really.

My city has only like 100k people, and when people with an interest in this are 1 in 10000, it's not enough to have a community.

And even if people gathered to talk, it would be stuff like "I've just had my biggest awakening yet!  I'm God, and you're not real!"

I mean, it depends on how "picky" you are about this. There are people who have come from a religious background when they were young and now identify as "atheist", but still have an open mind about irreligious spirituality or things like psychedelic use, etc. I think those have the potential to at least accept where you are at with your spiritual pursuits/be able to understand from a conceptual standpoint. But yeah it's still pretty tough even in big cities. 

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

28 minutes ago, puporing said:

I mean, it depends on how "picky" you are about this. There are people who have come from a religious background when they were young and now identify as "atheist", but still have an open mind about irreligious spirituality or things like psychedelic use, etc. I think those have the potential to at least accept where you are at with your spiritual pursuits/be able to understand from a conceptual standpoint. But yeah it's still pretty tough even in big cities. 

Luckily we have the internet??

@Someone here At this point, I'm quite sure there's a little Akaash inside your skull having an orgasm at each forum notification 9_9

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

On 22/04/2022 at 0:29 AM, JonasVE12 said:

Depends on the degree to which you are taking responsibility in your life. If you are not yet living your ideal life, and you're not rapidly moving towards that, you might want to reconsider the things you are doing on a daily basis and assess your priorities. Your time is valuable and life isn't infinite. If you're content with your life right now, if you feel peaceful, well, you're not really distracting yourself. You're not supposed to do anything. And if you like spending your time on here rather than anything else, that's your right.

Now, if you're distracting yourself as a way to be lazy, you should not tolerate that and set higher standards. Life should be a flow and you should do what you like doing in the moment, but by fulfilling your desires, you will find deeper and deeper flow states, but it requires you to stretch your mind. And if you aren't used to that, it might feel resistant. Then it easier to tune out and be lazy. You always want to have clarity first in who you are, who you want to be, the steps to take to get where you want to be, and if you have this clarity, you can perfectly take time to be in the moment and tune off from the future. This can be spending time on the forum here. But if you don't already have that clarity, you need to take responsibility for structuring your time and focus so you can have more deep contemplation, self-reflection, goal setting, goal-assessment, strategizing. 

Just be honest with yourself and ask the following questions. Am I truly happy with how my life is right now ? Have I already gotten what I truly desire? Am I seeing rapid progress towards my ideal life? Has my life changed much over the years? How much more time am I going to waste?

If you're truly happy, you're just flowing and you have nowhere else to go and so you're not distracting. 

Thanks again for the quality advice ? 

-Osho

14 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

@Someone here At this point, I'm quite sure there's a little Akaash inside your skull having an orgasm at each forum notification 9_9

:D

It does give me a dopamine hit .

-Osho

Introspect and determine how much ROI (return on investment) you are getting from spending the amount of time you do on the forum. 

Are you getting diminishing returns? 

How much do you value your time? What is the dollar value of your time? In other words, what’s your aspirational hourly rate? 

E.g. If your aspirational hourly rate is $500/hr, and you spend an hour a day on this forum, are you getting $500 worth of value from this forum? Or would that time be better spent in doing things that have a higher ROI such as taking action (or more action) on what brings you closer to your goals? 

3 hours ago, Vision said:

Introspect and determine how much ROI (return on investment) you are getting from spending the amount of time you do on the forum. 

How much do you value your time? What is the dollar value of your time? In other words, what’s your aspirational hourly rate? 

E.g. If your aspirational hourly rate is $500/hr, and you spend an hour a day on this forum, are you getting $500 worth of value from this forum? Or would that time be better spent in doing things that have a higher ROI such as taking action (or more action) on what brings you closer to your goals? 

Thanks for this insight. I kinda do that subconsciously all the time, but bringing this to the conscious mind could potentially take my productivity to a whole new level.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

4 hours ago, Vision said:

Great advice.

ENTJ 8w7