Arthogaan

What do you do for a living?

37 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, integral said:

I don't see the point in building a saas, why reinvent the wheel?

@integral 

Reinventing the wheel with a SaaS? Isn't the point of a SaaS the opposite of reinventing the wheel?

If there is a software solution you could create that would solve a problem or satisfy a need, you'd have created something that doesn't exist. Then you can productize it and make a business or even a Life Purpose out of it.

Personally my favourite SaaS is Obsidian. It's the perfect example of two people using SaaS as a medium for their Life Purpose. 

But to each their own. Not everyone wants to make a SaaS. 

I have three more questions: 

• What does your work entail?
  • Do you mainly work for other people? If so, is it still enjoyable? 
  • At what age did you start? 

@Vision Sorry i misunderstood what you where asking, i thought you where asking about cloud services as a business model. I know a few guys who slowly built up there own over time, for every new client they would add a service to there infustructure and in a few years they had a entire package of cloud services to quickly build any app and keep there customers tied financially to them lol. But the services are no different from using google or amazon cloud services, so they basically remade what has already been done a million times, but now they own it and can charge for it. 

1 hour ago, Vision said:

If there is a software solution you could create that would solve a problem or satisfy a need, you'd have created something that doesn't exist. Then you can productize it and make a business or even a Life Purpose out of it.

Excellent.

1 hour ago, Vision said:

Personally my favourite SaaS is Obsidian. It's the perfect example of two people using SaaS as a medium for their Life Purpose. 

Yes but are they profitable? There are so many alternatives/competition. Most of the work people do goes to open source or ends up freely accessible to people. 

1 hour ago, Vision said:
  • What does your work entail?

Im constantly learning new technologies for different jobs, so ive done a few things like, Full stack web development, Smart Contracts, Game development, IOT and Hardware modeling/programming, Mobile apps, Chrome extensions, Trading bots... ++

1 hour ago, Vision said:
  • Do you mainly work for other people? If so, is it still enjoyable? 

I worked in a company for a few years 9-5, its definitely less enjoyable then working with startups, but the pay is good + benefits. Working with other people is a pain and a distraction, its takes a lot of effort coordinating, tracking tasks, meetings, bug management...

I work for people and have side projects. Ideally i would of done things differently and started a company or various services but life doesn't always give you the opportunities.

1 hour ago, Vision said:
  • At what age did you start? 

22, i would of started sooner if i new coding existed, i had no idea what it was. But before any of that i was addicted to problem solving and games like chess, so programming was a immediate addiction that suited me. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

On 20/04/2022 at 3:43 AM, integral said:

Yes but are they profitable?

Yes. Their business model is giving extra services for a monthly price.

There are so many alternatives/competition.

In terms of the niche this particular app is in, there really isn’t. Seemingly similar apps fulfil different needs. 

This app is currently unmatched, and that’s why it’s so valuable. The more irreplaceable the value you provide is, the more people want to pay you. Look at Leo or Peter Ralston as an example, the value they provide is irreplaceable. Whereas something like working at McDonald’s is easily replaceable, and the pay of such jobs reflects that. 

I worked in a company for a few years 9-5, its definitely less enjoyable then working with startups, but the pay is good + benefits. Working with other people is a pain and a distraction, its takes a lot of effort coordinating, tracking tasks, meetings, bug management...

I work for people and have side projects. Ideally i would of done things differently and started a company or various services but life doesn't always give you the opportunities.

Oh that’s interesting. You said you would have done things differently, are you still planning on doing those things you would’ve done at some point?

22, i would of started sooner if i new coding existed, i had no idea what it was. But before any of that i was addicted to problem solving and games like chess, so programming was a immediate addiction that suited me. 

That’s nice to hear for me because I see that a lot of programmers who enjoy what they do have been doing it as a hobby since they were kids. 

What advice would you give to someone who has never tried Software Development but wants to dabble in it to see if they like it? 

11 hours ago, Vision said:

In terms of the niche this particular app is in, there really isn’t. Seemingly similar apps fulfil different needs. 

Im personally a mind map user for taking all my notes, obsidian didn't do it for me as it is now, but i like where the development is going, it needs a few good plugins to get it going. 

Oh that’s interesting. You said you would have done things differently, are you still planning on doing those things you would’ve done at some point?

Yes

What advice would you give to someone who has never tried Software Development but wants to dabble in it to see if they like it? 

Start by learning the basics, there are infinite YouTube tutorials on every language, then practice what you've learned. After a bit pick something your interested in making and figure out how to make it. 

What are you interested in? What ideas do you have that you wish you could build today? Ill guide you in the best technologies you need to learn for does projects, so you can start there. The technologies ill recommend are also the industry standard and will easily land you a full time job. 

Also have fun, when i first started learning i made many small games to learn and explore, programming is a sandbox game.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Fearey It’d be interesting to have a conversation with my twin, if you know what I mean ?

What's great about being a journalist is that there's a clearer bias when it comes to reporting and taking anecdotes from other sources. Also being a paranormal investigator as a side project is that you don't fully know what you're getting into, the story or rumoured location of paranormal phenomena might turn out either false, or true but differently to what was told to you.

1 hour ago, integral said:

Ill guide you in the best technologies you need to learn for does projects, so you can start there. The technologies ill recommend are also the industry standard and will easily land you a full time job. 

What do you recommend?

@Vision It depends on what your interested in working on, if your attracted to this "building cloud based solutions (GCP, AWS), data analytics and robotic process automation" then what id recommend will drastically change. Not all areas of software are the same or enjoyable for everyone. There is a lot of diversity. 

Just now, integral said:

@Vision It depends on what your interested in working on, if your attracted to this "building cloud based solutions (GCP, AWS), data analytics and robotic process automation" then what id recommend will drastically change. Not all areas of software are the same or enjoyable for everyone. There is a lot of diversity. 

@integral No, I don’t know if I’d be interested in that. I barely know what those things are.

What I said was a reference to how Fearey and I have the exact same MBTI type and Enneagram type+subtype. 

So what would you recommend?

@Vision

15 hours ago, integral said:

What are you interested in? What ideas do you have that you wish you could build today?

Got to answer these questions lol, what do you want to start with off the top of your head? What attracts you?

Do you wanna work with artificial intelligence?

Edited by integral

@integral 

I actually replied to this but I had made a post right before and it said I had to wait for a period of time to post again like normal. Then I ended up never sending it because I forgot. Sorry about that. I saw your list of possible paths before they were edited out so here is my reply to that. 

Got to answer these questions lol, what do you want to start with off the top of your head? What attracts you?
I don't know what I'd want to start with off the top of my head. But I do know that if I ever do end up programming in the future, I would want to be able to create my own apps and extensions. 

1) Application development iOS and Android.

Yes, this is something I would want to do. Maybe only for iOS though. I would also want to make apps for desktop too so I wouldn't want to exclusively do this.

2) Game development iOS and Android.

Unlikely. I don't think I'd want to make video games.  

3) Desktop Application development.

Yes. This is likely something I would want to do if I developed software. 

4) Console game development.

Unlikely. Same reason as 2)

5) Artificial Intelligence.

I don't know much about this. What does this type of work entail?  

6) Data mining.

I don't know anything about this. What type of work is this? 

7) Web development, including e-commerce and other websites.

Probably not something I'd do for its own sake. Pretty sure the market for this is huge though. 

8) Databases development.

I don't know anything about this either. What is it? 

9) Chrome Extensions

Yes. I'd probably want to make extensions for chromium-based web browsers. I don't have any ideas though. 

It seems like it'd be 1), 2), and 9)

I'm still interested in knowing what the ones I've barely heard of are like databases development, data mining and artificial intelligence.  

Edited by Vision

@Vision I think its best to watch some videos on the topic to get some ideas. Start with Typescript and web development, this is aligned with chrome extensions and you can learn all the basics with it in a easy to use environment. Basically once you learn one language you can translate that skill to every other language. 

Set up a basic project on your computer so you can write code and run it in the web browser. 

Or

https://www.typescriptlang.org/play Use a playground that is integrated coding in the browser. Write code click run, simple. 

Edited by integral

Works at Grocery Store, but getting Accounting Bachelor's. 

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

I'm a behavioral therapist.

Currently, accruing hours to get my Behavioral Analyst certification so I can get paid more B|