Raptorsin7

Flat Earth

26 posts in this topic

What are the best resources to find the truth about whether the earth is really flat?

I have a strong intuition telling me that there is some truth to the flat earth movement, but I can't find any info on it

Learn simplest geometric principles
Makes simplest observations (Ships disappearing bottom first..)
Do the simplest experiments 
Realize flat earthers are full of bs, bias, ego delusion

Flat earthers deny ton of direct experience in order to keep their ridicolous world view alive

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

14 minutes ago, undeather said:

Learn simplest geometric principles
Makes simplest observations (Ships disappearing bottom first..)
Do the simplest experiments 
Realize flat earthers are full of bs, bias, ego delusion

Is there an example of this somewhere? Is there like a flat earth debunked manifesto or something

Have you studied flat earth to any depth? How can you be certain the flat earthers are the ones full of bias, ego etc

Everyone on this forum believes the earth is round and there's bias, ego delusion and bs in every member here

The earth appears flat from the naked eye, but is not actually flat when we analyze components of reality.

Edited by SgtPepper

@Loving Radiance Sweet thanks for the video

So if this guy ever becomes a flat earther that will settle it once and for all

Edited by Raptorsin7

36 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Is there an example of this somewhere? Is there like a flat earth debunked manifesto or something

Have you studied flat earth to any depth? How can you be certain the flat earthers are the ones full of bias, ego etc

Everyone on this forum believes the earth is round and there's bias, ego delusion and bs in every member here

Studying flat earth is like studying fantasy. There is no functional model, it makes no predictions, its not compatible with direct experience. You dont want to study donut shape earth, do you? Its a product of the ego mind.

But then again, make the experience for yourself. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

If you believe in the physical world and physical laws, then according to the cognitive psychologist Donald Hoffman, the world might indeed be flat. It might only appear to be 3D to aid in error-correction, as part of a biological survival mechanism.

Of course, this is not what people generally mean when they debate Flat Earth vs Round Earth.

The real question should be: Is the Earth flat, round, or imaginary? And of course the answer is the latter.

Apparently.

15 minutes ago, undeather said:

Studying flat earth is like studying fantasy. There is no functional model, it makes no predictions, its not compatible with direct experience. You dont want to study donut shape earth, do you? Its a product of the ego mind.

But then again, make the experience for yourself. 

I'm open minded and I want the truth so we will see 

16 minutes ago, axiom said:

If you believe in the physical world and physical laws, then according to the cognitive psychologist Donald Hoffman, the world might indeed be flat. It might only appear to be 3D to aid in error-correction, as part of a biological survival mechanism.

Of course, this is not what people generally mean when they debate Flat Earth vs Round Earth.

The real question should be: Is the Earth flat, round, or imaginary? And of course the answer is the latter.

But even if everything is imaginary it would be still relevant if the earth is flat. It would just be imagined as being flat rather than round 

The earth is round. 

All science and ancient times support this. 

The earth is not flat. At all. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I don't believe in flat earth. But I think most people here are just dismissing it outright based on the authority of science without ever considering it with an open mind themselves. I seriously considered it, watched all the conspiracy videos with an open mind, and came to the conclusion the earth is round by myself.

I see that Youtube has really cleaned out the search results since I looked into it a few years ago, wow. All DEBOONKing videos coming up in the results.

"Eric Dubay" is the preeminent flat earth guy from when I was looking. He still has a 6-hour video on his channel which hasn't been taken down, that's probably good to start with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAwRbKLYEo

If you want to go deeper than that, my suggestion would be to get off Youtube since it's hiding all the juicy results, and start searching on alt-tech platforms like Bitchute, Odysee, and Rumble instead.

For me the biggest DEBOONKER of flat earth would be to buy a weather balloon and a GoPro + GPS and send it up into the atmosphere, you should be able to see the curve yourself. Just make sure you aren't using a fish-eye lens or anything that will distort and make a flat line look rounded. Don't trust anyone else, do the experiment yourself.

Go forth and be open-minded. Just try not to be so open-minded that your brain falls out ;)

While you're looking into flat earth, don't neglect to go down the adjacent rabbit hole that there's an inner earth which can be accessed through the South Pole. That's a good one. 

Edited by Yarco

@Preety_India

Imagine you have some type of disorder which involves ultra-convincing hallucinations. As a result of the disorder, your direct experience repeatedly confirms that the Earth is flat.

You're experiencing a similar hallucination right now. Except in your hallucination, most people think the Earth is round, and it sounds like the science you're imagining would be able to confirm it as such. 

But of course it is neither. It is however you imagine it to be.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

2 minutes ago, axiom said:

@Preety_India

Imagine you have some type of disorder which involves ultra-convincing hallucinations. As a result of the disorder, your direct experience repeatedly confirms that the Earth is flat.

Now imagine everyone on Earth suffers from the same disorder. If everyone is in agreement that the Earth is flat, is it flat? Who would be left to confirm it one way or the other?

We're in that hallucination right now, except in this hallucination, most people think the Earth is round.

This is probably the most bullshit thing I have read on the forum so far. But please believe your BS, no loss for me. 

8 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

This is probably the most bullshit thing I have read on the forum so far. But please believe your BS, no loss for me. 

You are imagining that you think it's BS. In reality you think it's wonderful - and you're very welcome of course :)

Apparently.

If the earth is flat then its area in relation to its circumference must be a forth of its current size.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

Basically, flat earth is like claiming that the Earth's core is cold: you explain away volcanoes by saying that they only draw lava from local pockets of magma, and that you don't believe the scientists who have measured how the temperature rises as you descend down Earth's crust, and that plate tectonics is "only a theory" or "fake science" just like climate change.

You also might want to look at images from space on Google images.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

17 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Basically, flat earth is like claiming that the Earth's core is cold: you explain away volcanoes by saying that they only draw lava from local pockets of magma, and that you don't believe the scientists who have measured how the temperature rises as you descend down Earth's crust, and that plate tectonics is "only a theory" or "fake science" just like climate change.

You also might want to look at images from space on Google images.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

You also might want to look at images from space on Google images.

Ironically most of those images are composites or CGI.

"If you think you’ve seen a new photograph of the full Earth taken by NASA in the last few decades, you’ve been tricked. It hasn’t taken a full Earth snapshot in 43 years—until now." (July 20, 2015)

https://qz.com/458826/behold-nasas-first-image-in-decades-of-the-whole-earth/#:~:text=Today (July 20) NASA released,agency since the Apollo era.

You've unknowingly walked into a conspiracy theorist's trap where the facts can actually work against you. Flat earthers believe all of those space images are fake (including the few untouched real ones), and NASA is in on the whole thing.

Like in your "earth's core is cold" example, there are scientific proofs that flat earthers simply deny. There is some elements of science that you can use to dissuade them and point out the flaws in their arguments, but others like space photos are simply off the table that they'll never accept.

When dealing with any form of conspiracy theorist, you need to know their own argument inside and out, better than them, in order to try and pull someone out of the delusion. There is a minefield of facts and misinformation, and one inadvertent wrong step will accidentally set them off or cause them to shut down completely, to the point where maybe they won't reconsider their position again for years. Getting invested enough in a conspiracy to debunk it also puts most people at risk of falling victim to it.

At least if your intention is to try and deradicalize. If you just want to mock them and write them off as a lost cause, have at it.

Edited by Yarco