Jon_Bundesen

Should I drop out of high school to pursue my life purpose?

36 posts in this topic

Good God, NO!

Not having a High School diploma is going to make having a job so much more difficult, even entry level service jobs. You still will most likely need a job in order to keep your head afloat financially while you are perusing your life purpose. Otherwise, you risk mooching off of your parents in your late twenties, which is not good, even if you're perusing your LP. What if your LP changes and requires college? You won't have a High School diploma, so how are you going to make that work?

You are only sixteen, you lack so much wisdom. PLEASE do not make such a drastic life changing decision, I beg of you. You are not mature enough at that age to make such decisions.  You should do the opposite, and try to finish High School with the best grades possible, for the sake of college and career success. Yeah, Yeah... I know grades don't really matter as much as society makes them out to matter. But being the type of person to have flying marks in school is valuable in terms of learning discipline and having a nice work ethic. 

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

Build your foundation and take full advantage of your education. Learn to be a great student!

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

it have pros and cons

pros

u will be learning real things instead of wasting time on bullshit they teach in school

school will program u with some toxic mindset

if u follow your passion , u will have an advantage over those who started in those field  later

school and college are a place for training factory workers.

cons

if u want any job that require a degree then u r in trouble. majority of jobs require a college degree and u will not get it.

society has not evolved to reward those who quit school and followed their calling

people who are greate at things outside academia had little education . they were experts in their field but poor students. ex ronaldo , andrew russel etc

@Jon_Bundesen Hey, dude :). Thanks for the post.

Firstly, I think its really remarkable that your thinking about these things at your age. So you're already ahead of the curve massively! Kudos!

I hear you regarding school not feeling right for you. It sounds like there is an intuition there for you that you should be elsewhere, which I respect.

I recall Leo saying in one of his videos regarding intuition that once you understand what your intuition is, then you want to follow that intuition. However, also you want to ground that following by using your thinking mind.

I don't know your situation at school, or why you don't like school, so I won't comment on whether its worth continuing. However, one thing I'll note is that within that environment you have been able to make the real, meaningful progress of finding the more psychologically mature content of actualized.org, and putting in significant work into the Life purpose course. So it sounds like to me that there are some benefits to your current situation.

I'd like to know some more things about you. And then perhaps I can give a further perspective.

How is your mental health at school?

How is your social life at school?

If don't want to answer these questions I respect that, and I simply wish you the best :).

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

9 hours ago, Nahm said:

No. 

!!!

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I second that at 16 you lack a lot of wisdom. And I am speaking from a place of being 18 and I still think in just two years, you are missing so much wisdom. I agree, sometimes old people like Nahm can be stubborn, but trust me on this.

@bejapuskas

1 hour ago, bejapuskas said:

I second that at 16 you lack a lot of wisdom. And I am speaking from a place of being 18 and I still think in just two years, you are missing so much wisdom. I agree, sometimes old people like Nahm can be stubborn, but trust me on this.

Poor 'old' Nahm ;)

Be-Do-Have

On 1/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, Jon_Bundesen said:

my plan is to get a job I can work at while I realize my life purpose.

So you think you can't realize your life purpose while going to high school? what makes you think realizing your life purpose is easier with a job rather than high school? its clearly a foolish assumption, thinking that a job is easier than high school. You definitely lack real life experience and proper judgment because 1. you're 16 and 2. you're saying this BS

you can realize your life purpose and go to high school at the same time, go realize your life purpose and build SKILL in a field. That's pretty much the only thing you can do being so young, and don't wait on building skills... they're crucial for your success START RIGHT NOW, you have a 2 year head start so START NOW. The way you're going to make money is with skill, don't think you're just going to build a business that's going to make you money.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:21 AM, Jon_Bundesen said:

why not just drop out now and earn some money for my work instead.

Finish high-school at least.  Having a basic high-school diploma can go a long way.  It's like the bare minimum in society.  Without it I think it'll be a lot more difficult for you to just do the basics as well as pursuing your life purpose; getting jobs to make ends meet, going to college if you change your mind, or just doing other classes, events, and things that require high-school diplomas (or at least see it as a priority). 

Besides, you can make money after you graduate.  There will be tons of time for that.  A couple years' head-start won't get you that much further I think.  If you are actually serious about it, I worked at a decent restaurant recently and they hired several high school students.  So it's not like you can't do both. 

It just opens up a lot more doors having it than not. 

Also consider your priorities, desires, and values may change in the future.  So, think about that when planning things out; when I'm 25 or 30 and have more life experience, will I have regretted not getting a high school diploma?

Don't be this guy

download.jpg

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

6 hours ago, MarkKol said:

its clearly a foolish assumption, thinking that a job is easier than high school.

Also... yes.  Absolutely agree. 

High school is a piece of fucking cake compared to working to support yourself fully.  

I'm 29 right now.  If I would have done something different in high school knowing what I know now, I think I would have busted my ass way more in learning skills, creating stuff in my spare time, getting as much as I could from school, thinking about what I truly want, trying a ton more stuff, working on social skills, volunteering, etc..  Just using the time a lot better.  It's, I think, more difficult to do this work when you're working 9-5, 5 days a week at a tiring job, including time spent commuting, compared to going to school 8:30-3, socializing, getting more breaks, and not doing really tiring work so you have more energy afterwards. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

"its clearly a foolish assumption, thinking that a job is easier than high school."

Depends on your high school experience tbf. For me I find working jobs is way easier than high school.

Be-Do-Have

I've dropped high school at the age of 17.

I don't recommend you to do that)

After doing this I found a decent job and had been rapidly promoted. But then I quit it (because guys had shady marketing strategies) and had hard financial situation during the winter. There were times when I was renting an awful dirty room with mold. During that winter I began addicted to junk food which at that time I wasn't even touching for the 2 years time. The things spiraled down: I started masturbating once again, playing video games (which I also wasn't doing for a long), and to sustain this destructive lifestyle I was borrowing money. I developed over 2000$ in debts - enormous money for Ukraine. My health was in a horrible state because of junk food. Then I went to a nearby country Poland where I worked this money out (it took me 2years) and now I am alright.

It was very hard to end addictive behaviors, and I still masturbate.

I dropped school without knowing my life purpose, so I was just drifting trying different jobs, and starting each time from scratch. Fortunately, I corrected this. Dropping the school helped me find Life purpose at a faster pace, but at a bigger price. It could be the case I would not survive the hard periods and quit self-actualization.

Right now I have a good financial situation, working on my skills to become a full-time 3D graphic designer. My health is still not in the best condition, I did some detoxes, and in 2 months I will have a possibility to do a 3:6:9 detox by Antony Williams book "Cleanse to heal". I am also establishing everyday yoga practice, and I've been initiated into Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya.

Don't drop the school unless you have strong expertise in some field that will be able to deliver value to society and in return sustain you. I highly recommend book by Cal Newport "So good they can't ignore you" - he busts the myth of "following your passion".

On 24.01.2022 at 11:03 PM, Yarco said:

The other is like jumping off a cliff and then trying to assemble your parachute on the way down.

Absolutely agree