Mosess

Meditation instructor as a career

11 posts in this topic

How do i get started in doing this as a living, i mean, is becoming certified important? I've put tons of hours already in my own practices, experienced many radical SOC, and so forth.
What else is important, and should be taken into consideration?

Think there are some coarses for Mindfullness and Stress Relief you can take and
have some sort of certificate on.
I do recommend taking a course in Reiki (if you want) Its really powerful.

You probably are very good at these things, im sure.
But how society and others see you. You are automatically more legit, once you have a deploma
or a certificate in something.

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

@Mosess Learn marketing.

Most spiritual types suck at it lol. So learning it is a great advantage.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

Become a masterful meditator first. Learn from teachers by going on tons of retreats or many other different routes. As your skillfulness as a mediator increases and if or when you actually awaken you might have more opportunities to teach and facilitate. In truth this takes a long time and will take sacrificing any selfish drive for how you want to co-opt a practice and form to transcend self to for narcissistic goals, agendas, and dreams. This will take a LONG time. Spirituality doesn't need more mediocre teachers that are just desperate for a dime coupled with some narcissistic aspiration to awaken people. 

I don't think certification is very important. Just think of a way to make meditation accessible / fun for people. Maybe you could make guided meditation videos, an app, write a book or develop a method for organisations on how to bring meditation into their daily work. The possibilities are endless. I would ask myself "What's keeping people from enjoying meditation?" And then solve that problem.

You don't need certifications as long as you can deliver results to people.

Consider becoming an online instructor rather than just in-person. You can reach infinitely more people doing online classes or courses. Also your business will be less affected by covid shutdowns/restrictions which will probably continue for at least the next year.

Start by asking people you know, friends, family, acquaintances, if you can give them free meditation lessons.  Then log the time you've put in for future reference and your resume.  You could even ask for testimonials.----- make yourself aware to your community and others what you're offering and the more you interact with others and share what you want to give, the more people will know you, and the more connections and possibilities will arise with each interaction. == "Oh! You want to teach meditation?  My brother is a meditation teacher.  He's actually works for an personal-growth organization which is looking for more meditation teachers.  I'll give you his contact info to so you can chat with him about it."

Volunteer teach at local meditation/yoga centers (or for money).

Online events (Meetup, zoom, etc.).

Get some certifications: I know one yoga studio I wanted to do a meditation class for only hires people who have taken long courses with credentials.  So it depends.  But if you get certification, like MSBR, then even organizations and schools (like colleges etc.) may want your services.  That could possibly be a big contract.

Go to community centers and hold events n stuff. 

Work at retreat centers.

Become a monk for a period of time.

Go on retreats.  Get that experience.

Read, study.

Websites, videos, blogs, books.

You could even organize like a mindfulness or wellness day or something at a local venue where you get other teachers and practitioners (meditation, yoga, reiki, massages, etc.) to come and set up booths n stuff for the public to come try out.  You could do some stuff there.

At-home or online meditation coach = get some cards, a website, some credentials, BAM! 

Partner up with someone else, or maybe an organization/business already in your local area, which is focused on healing and stuff.  I know in Vancouver there's a few businesses like this which offer a variety of healing modalities and self-improvement services.  Might be able to land some work teaching meditation for them.  

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Mosess

On 13/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, Mosess said:

How do i get started in doing this as a living, i mean, is becoming certified important? I've put tons of hours already in my own practices, experienced many radical SOC, and so forth.
What else is important, and should be taken into consideration?

You can try to become yet-another-meditation-teacher, which is hard.

It's hard because:

1. Your competition is: every meditation center and teacher out there
  2. Your customer base is: people who are already looking directly to learn meditation from a teacher. So that means that you will have to explain to everyone why you are better than Isha Yoga Center.

Or you can think a step further and come up with a story to sell it in a unique way, to people who were not necessarily looking for a meditation teacher.

Ask yourself: how did meditation help me? What was my life like before and after I started doing it?

Then start telling people about that story.

They will want those benefits for themselves.

Now you are inspiring people to learn from you how to overcome the same obstacles that you went through, and get the result that you got. Even though they were not going to look for meditation as a solution, if you hadn't told them your story.

This is what is called a Blue Ocean.

You have little competition now, because you are not fishing in the same sea of seekers looking for enlightenment, together with the big guys like Sadhguru and TM.

And if you profile yourself well, you get inquiries from people you have a lot in common with, which means you can actually help them better and make quicker progress with them, than some generalist meditation class would.

Of course, this only works if you are willing to do more for them than just teach them a meditation technique. You have to be concerned with their particular situation and really want to help. Then meditation is just a tool in your toolbox.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Just start teaching meditation and charging money for it, you're Overthinking it. Learning marketing and branding is important, but you can do it in the process. 

Awaken kundalini and become a shaktipat teacher. Easiest way to "teach" meditation :P 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Thank you very much for your thoughts on this ❤️