Zakaria

Give me personal advice for school.

23 posts in this topic

Hello, my name is Zakaria, and I am 13 years old. I am in grade 8 and I need advice from people. Ever since I started school, I was getting bad grades on my report card however I still got graduated from grade one to grade eight. I really want to be a top student. My question is how can I transform my failure at school into a top student. I am not very motivated to work hard and whenever I start doing work, I start feeling lazy. My question also is how can I be motivated and open-minded to work hard. Anyways do you guys have any advice to give me to get 98% on my report card at school because I cannot continue failing my classes throughout the next school year.

Thanks

I used to not like school, but that was before I started meditating. I couldn't focus on things that didn't interest me very much. Motivation and focus go hand in hand. When you get very good at focusing, it becomes inherently motivating to simply stay focused (exactly what you're focusing on isn't as important as the fact that you're focusing). But focus requires a calm mind, and daily meditation can help with that.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

16 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

I used to not like school, but that was before I started meditating. I couldn't focus on things that didn't interest me very much. Motivation and focus go hand in hand. When you get very good at focusing, it becomes inherently motivating to simply stay focused (exactly what you're focusing on isn't as important as the fact that you're focusing). But focus requires a calm mind, and daily meditation can help with that.

Thanks for the advice but I have a question about what you said:

How do we do meditation? 

@Zakaria

Firstly

Check that you do not have any learning disabilities, i.e. Dyslexia/ ADHD. Complete some of the free online questionnaires for ADHD, and dyslexia. If you get anything that even resembles a possibility that you may have it, then tell your parents/ guardian, and two different members of staff at your school and ask them all for a learning disability assessment. Its so important to know these things!

Secondly

Aside from that, understand every sentence is just an opinion. Even ones that seem like facts are just opinions.

So, when you're reading, ask yourself, 'Do I think this is true?', 'How could this be true?', 'Does the author explain why this is true?'. Importantly, you want to become educated, rather than just know a lot of things. So, when you ask, 'Do I think this is true?', really think about whether you @Zakaria think what they are saying is true. For example, if you read a book and it says, 'A dog is man's best friend', stop and think to yourself, 'Do I think this is true?', and think of your own life. Picture thing in your head that the sentence reminds you of. Allow yourself to investigate. Perhaps, you think of a best friend you want to have. What do you think is meant by best friend? Do best friends exist? What is a man to you? What is a dog? Is a dog really a man's best friend?

Also, do this with the world around you. As you walk past something on the way to school, look at it, and think, 'Why is that there?'. Even something as simple as a piece of gum on the floor! The key, my friend, is curiosity.

Start doing this, and you'll build the habit of it. And soon you'll be one of the truly smartest kids around. It will help towards getting the best grades, but if you don't think for yourself, well, you are being a slave. And you don't want to be a slave! Become something greater, and one day you will be able to change the world.

Now, people may disagree with your points of view, but as long as you think through the problems, and give your reasons, then that is enough. 

Thirdly

Thirdly, its brilliant you want to work hard. However, remember, you deserve to be treated kindly, respected, and have nice friends no matter whether you get good grades or not. And, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fourthly

Watch, 'The dead poets society'. The one with Robin Williams in it.

I believe you will find some inspiration from it.

Allow yourself to fall in love with thinking :)

Edited by SLuxy
Structuring

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with my true Self. Why was that so very difficult?" - Herse

"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” - Goethe

"There are no bad parts" - Schwartz

50 minutes ago, Zakaria said:

Thanks for the advice but I have a question about what you said:

How do we do meditation? 

Sit in an upright posture in a place that is firm but comfortable with something to support your back on. If you have a good office chair, that's perfect, but also tuck in one of your legs like this:

Sadhguru+-+PS025.jpg?format=2500w

Then you sit like that with your eyes closed and focus on the sensations of breathing: feel how your belly moves and how the air fills your lungs. If you notice that you lose concentration and start thinking about random things, return to the sensations of breathing. Set a timer for 5 minutes and see how it feels.

It's OK to feel like nothing is happening or that you're not doing it right. It's also completely OK to lose concentration. Just come back the next day and try again. Then when you feel like it, increase the timer to 10 minutes. Then 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and finally 45 minutes.

It's best to meditate earlier in the day when you're the most alert and not straight after a big meal (because digestion decreases alertness). The most important part is to be consistent: sit down at least a couple of minutes every day, no off-days. It's as simple as that :)

1 hour ago, SLuxy said:

@Zakaria

Firstly

Check that you do not have any learning disabilities, i.e. Dyslexia/ ADHD. Complete some of the free online questionnaires for ADHD, and dyslexia. If you get anything that even resembles a possibility that you may have it, then tell your parents/ guardian, and two different members of staff at your school and ask them all for a learning disability assessment. Its so important to know these things!

Secondly

Aside from that, understand every sentence is just an opinion. Even ones that seem like facts are just opinions.

So, when you're reading, ask yourself, 'Do I think this is true?', 'How could this be true?', 'Does the author explain why this is true?'. Importantly, you want to become educated, rather than just know a lot of things. So, when you ask, 'Do I think this is true?', really think about whether you @Zakaria think what they are saying is true. For example, if you read a book and it says, 'A dog is man's best friend', stop and think to yourself, 'Do I think this is true?', and think of your own life. Picture thing in your head that the sentence reminds you of. Allow yourself to investigate. Perhaps, you think of a best friend you want to have. What do you think is meant by best friend? Do best friends exist? What is a man to you? What is a dog? Is a dog really a man's best friend?

Also, do this with the world around you. As you walk past something on the way to school, look at it, and think, 'Why is that there?'. Even something as simple as a piece of gum on the floor! The key, my friend, is curiosity.

Start doing this, and you'll build the habit of it. And soon you'll be one of the truly smartest kids around. It will help towards getting the best grades, but if you don't think for yourself, well, you are being a slave. And you don't want to be a slave! Become something greater, and one day you will be able to change the world.

Now, people may disagree with your points of view, but as long as you think through the problems, and give your reasons, then that is enough. 

Thirdly

Thirdly, its brilliant you want to work hard. However, remember, you deserve to be treated kindly, respected, and have nice friends no matter whether you get good grades or not. And, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fourthly

Watch, 'The dead poets society'. The one with Robin Williams in it.

I believe you will find some inspiration from it.

Allow yourself to fall in love with thinking :)

Thanks for the advice

53 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Sit in an upright posture in a place that is firm but comfortable with something to support your back on. If you have a good office chair, that's perfect, but also tuck in one of your legs like this:

Sadhguru+-+PS025.jpg?format=2500w

Then you sit like that with your eyes closed and focus on the sensations of breathing: feel how your belly moves and how the air fills your lungs. If you notice that you lose concentration and start thinking about random things, return to the sensations of breathing. Set a timer for 5 minutes and see how it feels.

It's OK to feel like nothing is happening or that you're not doing it right. It's also completely OK to lose concentration. Just come back the next day and try again. Then when you feel like it, increase the timer to 10 minutes. Then 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and finally 45 minutes.

It's best to meditate earlier in the day when you're the most alert and not straight after a big meal (because digestion decreases alertness). The most important part is to be consistent: sit down at least a couple of minutes every day, no off-days. It's as simple as that :)

I will try doing meditation every day when I get up. Thanks for the advice.:)

Jesus guys, yes  

Yes, eating healthy and going for a run, and meditating is important and can be helpful 

But its not complete enough information to get straight As nor is it necessarily relevant to his place in life 

"Hey guys I want some advice on becoming a top basketball player in my school, what would u guys recommend??"

"CARROTS, EAT CARROTS" 

Edited by Jacob Morres

38 minutes ago, Jacob Morres said:

But its not complete enough information

You can't change your life overnight. You take it one step at the time. Besides, you never know if you might be missing out on some very foundational things that have a wide impact on your life, and that's exactly where things like diet, exercise and meditation come in. For example, look at this thread:

The guy seems to be doing everything right, but apparently the problem is just that he skips breakfasts. Sometimes the most obvious things are the easiest to miss.

@Carl-Richard 

the advice on that thread is much better than the one on this one

it's attuned to specifically to the person's needs (ton of questions were asked to gain a more accurate picture) + the person giving advice has relevant experience in that specific issue and topic and was able to diagnose what he needed 

Edited by Jacob Morres

21 minutes ago, Jacob Morres said:

@Carl-Richard 

the advice on that thread is much better than the one on this one

it's attuned to specifically to the person's needs (ton of questions were asked to gain a more accurate picture) + the person giving advice has relevant experience in that specific issue and topic and was able to diagnose what he needed 

imagine instead you just started recommending meditating to that guy

Then do that yourself instead of complaining about other people not doing it. I personally like to teach people how to meditate, because I know how it works and I know that it worked for me when I was in his situation. If you like to spend your time doing comprehensive, in-depth inventories of people's lives, then do that. I'm primarily on the forum to have fun, not to serve as a disposable personal life coach.

10 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

@Zakaria Jocko got you covered ;)

The video above was made for college, but is perfectly applicable for High School. Watch the video above and take notes of the advice of it somewhere.

Leo also made some videos

Take physical notes of Leo's advice as well.

Bonus tips:

• NEVER PROCRASTINATE, do your assignments as soon as you get them.
  • Take notes and read the textbooks.
  • READ THE SYLLABUS.
  • Meditate, start 20 min every day, this will help you sit through class and deal with anxiety.
  • Study for the SAT/ACT and AP tests as early as you can.
  • Take difficult/AP courses.

Since you're in High School, this is also the perfect time to start thinking of your future and start developing skills.

Best of luck, you can either dominate High School, or allow it to dominate you. Your choice.

Thanks for your advice but I am in grade 8 (Middle school) and next year I am going to high school. So thanks for the video on high school, I was feeling stressed about high school because I did not know what to do in high school. Middle school is way easier than high school and I am gonna go to college in 5 years. :)

Leo already has lots of great advice.

Imo u should write a lot of stuff in your journal about the struggles of studying,write down if you are having laziness to study, write down ur stresses ur going through and generally write down what do u want to earn from school. 

Just put more time into studying. Its suffering but it always ends. Just try not to think and just sit down to study, school is only a few years, it'll end.

It might sound weird but just accept suffering coming from school. There were times when i sat down to study at my desk and i just felt like shit and suffered a lot. After few weeks i realized studying is fine and comfortable,it can actually be relaxing.

Fix ur basic needs, fix ur mental health then it will be so much easier to study

@Zakaria

Nice to see so young people here:)

My advice for you would be not to see the grades in school as too important. Set a goal for you like having a good grade. But don't try to write the BEST grade possible. 

Ever heard of the 80/20 principle? This is what you have to apply when it comes to school. Trying to get the best grades will actually slower your personal growth cause you will waste too much time that way. Most of the stuff you learn in school is actually unimportant and you won't need it in the future. 

What I would try to do with school is, learn to see the big picture. In all the courses you have, try to see what the course is about and what the main ideas are. Try to get into the teachers / the systems head. What is the meaning behind what we learn here? What does the teacher / the school system actually want us to UNDERSTAND? (Understanding≠knowing. Knowledge isn't important these days. Schools tend to fetishize knowledge. Try to minimize the knowledge you need to remember and maximize your understanding. Understanding=knowing the purpose behind all the knowledge, how it all makes sense together and why it is important) 

If you see the big picture without getting caught up in the details you should be able to write good grades without wasting too much time learning for school.

Study Leo's teachings - the old videos, not the new ones. They will enable you to get into big picture thinking and to learn some basics you need to learn to mature into a healthy adult. Merely watching Leo's old videos 1 vid or more every week will improve your ability to think big picture and over time improve your ability to understand how humans think / society works. This will help you in your school courses as well, at least it really helped me when I was back in school. 

Apart from that, I'd advise you to search for a hobby outside of school. Some sports where you can chill and have fun with ppl at your age 2-3 times a week. Also try to use chances life gives to you to try out new stuff. Try out relationship. Try out sex. Try out what it's like to party. Try out to make a presentation in front of your class. Try out whatever you can think of. This last part is actually a lot more important than getting good grades. Good grades won't help you in any way to live a good life. Most important thing is getting life experience. 

Hope this can help you. 

Wish you all the best, you have a great future in front of you. 

P.S. I had pretty good grades back in school without wasting too much time. If you want some personal advice from me feel free to send me a private message:) 

Lastly: I'd say that there is 1 important subject in school. You shouldn't miss out on having a good understanding of MATH. This actually will be pretty important for your future. Try to master school math. To get understanding search your topics on YouTube, there are great videos explaining it out there! 

Peace out:) 

Edited by Gregory1

Please do not take anything I say as an insult. I have 17 warning points and I'd like to stay on this forum.

You are Love.

1 year meditation, 1 hour daily https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/76489-1-year-meditation-1h-daily-start-at-100122/

19 hours ago, Jacob Morres said:

Jesus guys, yes  

Yes, eating healthy and going for a run, and meditating is important and can be helpful 

But its not complete enough information to get straight As nor is it necessarily relevant to his place in life 

"Hey guys I want some advice on becoming a top basketball player in my school, what would u guys recommend??"

"CARROTS, EAT CARROTS" 

@Jacob Morres

This is so fucking true I'm crying :D:D:D

Please do not take anything I say as an insult. I have 17 warning points and I'd like to stay on this forum.

You are Love.

1 year meditation, 1 hour daily https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/76489-1-year-meditation-1h-daily-start-at-100122/

Leo’s older videos can be helpful but they don’t usually give specific steps. It’s mostly big picture, which is important, but probably won’t get you good grades tbh (doesn’t mean you shouldn’t watch em cuz like why not.)

Meditate, exercise and research studying techniques on YouTube. You might end up wasting all your time if you don’t have the right technique so experiment and see what works for you. 

There are like a million productivity channels that talk about this stuff. Active recall and spaced repetition is what I’ve heard many talk about so that should probably be a good place to start. 

Edited by Dryas

23 minutes ago, Dryas said:

Leo’s older videos can be helpful but they don’t usually give specific steps. It’s mostly big picture, which is important, but probably won’t get you good grades tbh (doesn’t mean you shouldn’t watch em cuz like why not.)

actually I'd disagree. Big picture will give you better grades, at least that was the case for me. 

Big picture understanding means knowing the world and systems you're moving inside of. If you know what systems you're using, what the general ideas behind them are and are having a broad understanding of how they work, your actions will be a lot more accurate and intelligent. 

This will then lead to better grades as well. 

You are Love.

21 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Oh! One other bit of advice I forgot to include in my post above: Limit your technology use! Too many young people fall into the trap of being addicted to their screens. This is bad for their health, brains, and minds. 

Don't just meditate, meditation is great but so is exercise. Make sure to leave time for exercise. In high school, you can always sign up for Gym/PE & weight lifting. If you don't like that, make sure to do push ups and stuff and home.

@Husseinisdoingfine

Oh yeah, I spend a lot of time on my computer (Like 6 hours). I will try to stop this addiction problem and every day I go to the gym for 30 minutes (In my school) and I will do more exercise at the home. 

Thanks

Edited by Zakaria
Wanted to say thanks

@Gregory1 I suppose we’re just different that way. Big picture stuff probably doesn’t mention specific techniques (spaced repetition, active recall and using productivity apps like notion or managing calendars with time blocking etc etc) and I feel like that stuff is pretty important.

But I suppose it’s possible for the big picture to indirectly help by convincing one to research the aforementioned. 

Idk, just explore all of it i guess. 

Do not forget to primarily focus on learning to learn alongside learning the things the school assign to you. And finally, the books you read should never be all about the books to be taught in school.

the single best advice is :

DO THE HARD WORK EVEN IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING IT. 

we all know what needs to be done but we usually procrastinate and look for tricks and shortcuts instead of doing the boring hard work.