Raptorsin7

How Do I Know What Is Right?

17 posts in this topic

So i got into an argument on the dating section the other day and it got me thinking... how do I know if what I believe is right?

People assume what they believe is right but how do you know?

If someone said to me meditation is useless, I would think that statement is wrong/not right based on my direct experience but it still just seems based on my own belief and there's no definite way to determine if I am actually correct/right.

How can you know if the position you hold is the right position?

1 minute ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I don't think you can 100% since it's relative.  Anything like this isn't absolute so... seems like any belief or judgment, etc., is basically just a house of cards with no foundation.  Just nothing beneath it.

I had an experience I can see as similar, perhaps a bit more extreme, but similar.

• It was after an Ayahuasca ceremony, and we were just in a circle sharing our experiences.
  • Then they all started laughing at a joke I didn't get. 
  • Then I started getting really paranoid. 
  • Then they said "Ya, that's paranoia."
  • At that moment I fell into a deep skepticism about my own perceptions and interpretations, and just turned all my doubts 180 onto my self and own faculties.  
  • I got soooooo anxious and fearful I had to just like spend a few minutes just letting it go and trusting they knew what they were talking about to reground myself.

I guess ultimately "knowing", in the regular sense, is just a fantasy, a desire for certainty that will probably never come (through regular ways of getting it at least). 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23 So if I said I'm going to go declare my independence from Canada and start a gorilla war against the government, we can't say that's wrong/not good because it's relative?

Intuitively i'd say this is not good or unwise, but if it's subjective than no one could honestly say that plan above is not good/not right.

3 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

So i got into an argument on the dating section the other day and it got me thinking... how do I know if what I believe is right?

People assume what they believe is right but how do you know?

If someone said to me meditation is useless, I would think that statement is wrong/not right based on my direct experience but it still just seems based on my own belief and there's no definite way to determine if I am actually correct/right.

there is no right

there is only awareness

awareness precludes all sin all error all mistakes all failures all harm

the rhetorical question becomes, how is your awareness, where are you at

nothing is right or wrong, but ... what makes your ego stronger? What increases the feeling of separation, fear, anxiety, suffering? Or... What makes you freer, lighter, more at peace? neither is good or bad, choose the option you want

Yes it can be shocking, scary and simultaneously liberating when the parameters of our own beliefs are recognized to be meer conditioned concepts held onto by an illusory self.

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@Breakingthewall Aren't you just replacing right and wrong with what is egotistical vs loving?

It seems like you're saying what's right is what leads to greater love, and what's wrong leads to greater fear/separation etc.

@Nahm @VeganAwake

So if I decide to start hunting enlightened beings as some kind of earthly purge that is not wrong? I bet both of you would have a instinct against such a move, but where is that coming from if you don't believe in right or wrong?

So if I decide to start hunting enlightened beings as some kind of earthly purge that is not wrong? I bet both of you would have a instinct against such a move, but where is that coming from if you don't believe in right or wrong?

I'll give you my address but you probably can't afford the trip ?

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

10 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

I'll give you my address but you probably can't afford the trip ?

Haha. Your name just went to the top of the list.

So if I decide to start hunting enlightened beings as some kind of earthly purge that is not wrong?

It’s neither wrong nor right. It’s preference. A thought.. “wrong”.

I bet both of you would have a instinct against such a move, but where is that coming from if you don't believe in right or wrong?

You. 

The ‘bigger’ picture, the relevance is that you simply yet utterly & profoundly - can not get it wrong. If it seemed that you did, that’d be you or someone else judging. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

12 minutes ago, Nahm said:

you simply yet utterly & profoundly - can not get it wrong. If it seemed that you did, that’d be you or someone else judging.

^^ Which itself is of course not wrong. ❤️ 

Ultimately right/wrong and true/false beliefs are illusory.

Right/wrong; better/worse is not relevant, except to “me.”

Aren't you just replacing right and wrong with what is egotistical vs loving?

No , I'm just saying that one thing will make your life more relaxed and happy and the other more dark and anxious. is like saying: is it wrong if I hit my finger with a hammer? it's not bad or good, it's painful

Meditation is useless for people who think it is useless :) 

It is how we think it is :D

Try not to fall  into the game of right or wrong to much. You know what is best for you, you love and respect yourself no matter the outcome. Make a decision and love what ever turns out to be. You are the King! 

Edited by EddieEddie1995

8 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Haha. Your name just went to the top of the list.

Hehe only joking ?

But yes the belief of right or wrong/ good and bad is like a web of societal conditioning and survival instincts.

There can't be any real right or wrong in that which has no meaning or purpose behind it.

For me was years of trial and error to discover what is what. So if you want to master something one has to follow the same process. 

Singer

14™